Cost of living in Gambia

Hi everybody,

It would be very useful to talk about the cost of living in Gambia.

Don't forget to mention where in Gambia you are living.

How much does it cost to live in Gambia?

> accommodation prices

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...)

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> eduction prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant

> prices of a beer and or a coffee in a regular pub

> price of the cinema

Do not hesitate to add items to this list!

Thanks in advance for your participation!!

hallo,
can you please answer me all the things you write about???????
thank you very much, laura

Hi and welcome to you!

This topic has been created by Expat.com team, hoping that people living in Gambia would answer to these questions for information of newcomers! :)

Cheers
Arlette

compire to the sub region where the Gambia falls, Gambia's accumodation standrad is very cheap because with D500,$17 u cn afford yur self a room.

The cost of living in any developing country depends totally on your lifestyle. It is possible to rent a room for two breakfast in a small guest house for £22 per night. It is also possible to spend £600 per month on a furnished one bedroom apartment.

If  you shop in local markets and buy local produce it is possible to eat very economically but if you must have European made imports then you'll pay the price. Fish can be bought straight from the boat but you'll need to clean it yourself. Decent beef can be had in markets but it comes complete with splintered bone. Prawns are readily available but don't buy them in the tourist area as they are priced there for European pockets.

While I applaud the sentiment behind the original question I suggest it is unlikely to produce the kind of response which participants on this board will find of practical value.

Cinema, in The Gambia, where is it, I've not seen one?

All prices in Dalasi

Beer 25 - 90
spirits per litre 270 - 3000

bread 6

local restaurant meal; African 75 - 200, European 150 - 950
wine 300 - 1500

Room in a lodge 550 - 1000

3 bed house 8000 - 15000 per month (long term)

Internet free in some bars and restaurants or mobile from 500 per month plus an initial outlay of 4500 for a 4g dongle.

It is possible to pay considerably over the odds for anything in The Gambia as the principal objective of most Gambians with regular contact with expats is to extract money from them. Be cautious and be prepared to haggle - it will get you nowhere in a bar, restaurant or when buying bread but virtually everything else is negotiable.

As of 12/30/13 the US dollar equals about 37 Dalasi.  So the dollar seems to go a long way in the Gambia.

I'm thinking about moving to Gambia. Iv gone to you tube trying if I would see expats talking about living in Gambia There was very little. I was very surprised to see so little about living in Gambia .Honestly speaking Gambia wasn't my first choice  it was Thailand or Malaysia. If I have some questions I just need someone who I can probably contact so I can determine my finally decision. I want to live where the retirement would go very far. I'm 47 and I plan on retiring next year. I will be getting a pension of about 3000 a month. I'm not sure what kind on life style that can get me in Gambia.

Lol, 3000usd will make you a very comfortable std rich expat
What type of things are you particulary interested in The Gambia?