Groceries in amman

Hi all,

As we are shifting go Amman we are trying to analyse the expenses on groceries.

Are cereals and grains such as rice wheat, black gram dal, Bengal gram etc available in local markets.

Can somebody tell me wht would be the approximate price per kg for these products

Amman is the most expensive city in the world

Rather most expensive in the middle east. Since the economy depends on the people, and since the service wherever one goes leaves much to be desired, I doubt it will recover. Greed has taken over, cheap stuff from abroad is being sold either cheap, or to world prices, quality remains rather cheap even when expensive... Nevertheless, there are different types of rice, short corn, long corn etc ... Prices as far I can tell tper 5 kilo bag start from JD 5.5
Among the food that can compete with the world according to prices, fruits and vegetables despite of one of the most suitable climates!! Another habbit which does  not really boost the economy, wherever in the world, the more one buys from a certain place, the more discount one is provided in order to encourage one to remaining a customer. Here it's the opposite! The more one buys, the quicker they raise prices!!

This way it is difficult to answer but i would say if you are married and having two kids, living a moderate standard life and want to live in Amman somewhere in moderate standard area, it will cost you 800-900 jd a month, this will cover house rent, groceries and bills, assuming you will get a furnished apartment and kids are not going to school.

If I go to Amman for a semester, how much money do you think I would need for food? I always like to have fresh fruits and veggies on hand, and I typically eat pasta or rice with it, and quite often salads. I also really like vegan chocolate. Are all these things affordable in Amman? I will have about 600 JD every month, but the rent is already 200 JD and then maybe another 100 JD will be needed for transportation to university (GJU). So I'll have about 300 left for food, clothes, a little bit of travelling in the country, social activities, ... Will that be enough? Thanks to everyone who answers this question!

u need 350 - 500 JOD  for rent home
200 JD for food |& drinks
50 JD Mobile and internet
150 JD transportation
+ ur university fees

cost of living is round 1000 JD  for one month

shakesperoo wrote:

u need 350 - 500 JOD  for rent home
200 JD for food |& drinks
50 JD Mobile and internet
150 JD transportation
+ ur university fees

cost of living is round 1000 JD  for one month

Thank you. I only pay 200 JD for rent, and I don't have to pay university fees because I received a scholarship. So I think my 600 JD monthly will be enough for me. I have nowhere near 1000 JD for one month...

Yes that will be fair enough , i left jordan before 3 month ago but its very much expensive u have to be careful about money but based on what u mentioned 600 JD is fair enough inshalla
wish u good luck

You're really nice, thank you!

I'd say 300 to 350 a month would be enough for a modest life in Amman with just about enough left for a pint or two :) i was looking at my expenses so far.. i arrived in Amman 1st of the month and had accommodation provided for already. I spent about 200 on food ( mostly ate out ), transport, mobile charges (used Viber/whatsapp mostly) and going out. with another 10 days to go, i'd estimate 300 should suffice.

All the best with the move :)

My Pleasure to help you

Depending in which area one resides. One can share a flat
, or rent something smaller. Usually the uni area is not as expensive as expected since lots of noise... Nevertheless they will always be tenants trying to get more out of a flat. You can try to advert on eb. 300-350 rent for one single person is in my opinion not nessecarry, unless u want to live like a student queen.  Food and beverage for one single person can be kept in check depending on how much one consumes, hanging out in restaurants more expensive. Travelling matters check Jett buses, then decide how often per month. Clothes, I don't think you'll fancy shopping here anyway.... Pasta more expensive than abroad, sauces more expensive not much to chose from. Transportation depending what kind, how far the distance.... You can get a monthly  phone card for incl. Taxes JD14/month. This includes 14GB internet, about 600 minutes of local calls, more 700 from provider to provider,  2000 sms messages etc..

Simple rule: if the local population eat it, it's inexpensive. If it's unusual or only for foreigners, it's expensive.

Best advice is to adapt your diet to what is locally and easily available, whatever that might be.

Personally, I always eat out and usually for less than 2 JOD.

Yes, even in the expensive parts of town, a falafel sandwich will set you back 500piastres, or a meat shwarma is about 750piastres. We often buy dinner from Osra restaurant in Abdoun, because that's where the taxi drivers eat (ie, cheap). I once accidentally asked for 50 pieces of falafel instead of 15 and it cost me a whole dinar and a quarter. A kilo of bread is 250 plasters, so that becomes the basis for most meals. Veggies are really hit and miss, quality wise. Buy in season is best. Cosmo sells  manaqesh (cheese or zatar pizzas) for about a dinar - kids love them. We buy their takeaway meals from Taj mall for 3 dinars each, too. Meat and veggies with rice in various styles. Typically one meal feeds 2 kids or one hungry adult. Near the Istiqlal library in Sweifieh there is a little side street with some little restaurants selling local meals for under 3jd. Yummy. My kids love the falafel sandwiches from the falafel shop near the Sofara bakery in Sweifieh (best bakery), too, because they put hot chips in them (in addition to the usual gherkin and hummus and tomatoes with yoghurt). I am loving the cheap takeaway coffees here, too. 400 piasters for takeaway Arabic coffee compares very favourably with prices back home.

Grocery and other goods here are higher than usual thanks to ridiculous petrol prices, adding international products on top be like lmfao. I noticed an ordinary US Orange Juice (which sells for $3) once being sold at $22 I posted its picture online and got countless rants over it, let alone the cereals setback at $2 back home will run you up $10 plus.  There are quality trusted products comes from the Gulf and costing humanely. You'll need 200 jod for groceries a month for 2 adults and a child this includes pastas, taco shells, baking goods, frozen and fresh goodies.
Due to low wages and absurd taxes, people in Jordan are extremely greedy and won't hesitate to kill you over a penny or two.  Be extremely cautious and stick to the budget. If a Jordanian person approach and says 'welcome to Jordan' it basically means he wants a tip or about to jack up the price just for you without even smiling.

imported things are too expensive here in Jordan

Mohdq..i admit that too,and mostly if you keep your food Organics.

most money i spend for organics foods (but,once in a blue moon,i also bought normal foods groceries )  :D

Kate29 wrote:

Mohdq..i admit that too,and mostly if you keep your food Organics.

most money i spend for organics foods (but,once in a blue moon,i also bought normal foods groceries )  :D

yes a lot of organics foods is inported nawadays from Israel and Palestin... the jordanian organics foods is exported to Gulf states... therefor it is expensive...

Tell me about it :)

Kate29 wrote:

Tell me about it :)

Imported like Avocado Potato

Exported like tomato