Marriage Visa in Nepal

Hi all

For those of you who read my introduction (which I accidentally posted in the wrong spot, forgive me!) you know I am an Australian who recently married a Nepali citizen. We will be getting our marriage certificate today (all things going to plan) and returning to Kathmandu tomorrow. Our first stop will be the Australian Embassy so that we can register our marriage with my country, and then we'll be heading to Immigration so I can apply for a marriage visa. I'm not entirely sure what this entails so I'm hoping someone out there might be able to give me the heads up on what to expect and how to make the process smoother.

My tourist visa expires on the 29th September, giving us 6 weeks to arrange my visa. Is this enough time? We did phone immigration to find out how long it would take, and they told us it only takes 24hours, but I've spent enough time in Nepal now to know not to always trust the information you're given, and there is always a hiccup!

Any help in knowing what to expect so that I can prepare accordingly would be really appreciated.

Cheers
Rebekah

It's fairly painless, Rebekah, but of course ridiculously bureaucratic. Most of the time you'll just be waiting in one department after another. Well that's what happened to me.  But nobody made any problems. We just need to collect various signatures in various offices. Don't worry, they always tell you where to go next so it's quite painless. I went in at 10 am and came out at about 2 pm.

Anthony

Hi Rebekah,
I want get married in Nepal with a pakistani citizen im from MExico, could youplease let me know ur legal proces there, how u got visa, i can help you in ur regard bcz im also starting with this, hope you can help me or someone else in this blog

Thank you!
Mariam

Hi Mariam

I'm not entirely sure if my experience can help you. My husband is a Nepali citizen and I'm not sure what the status of Pakistani citizens is in Nepal.

But basically, after going through the the marriage process, which was fairly bureaucratic and a bit lengthy because we had to travel to the Central District Office for the VDC in which he is registered, we attended the Deoartment of Immigration who issued us with a letter to fax back to the CDO, requesting proof that our marriage did take place. Because the official marriage certificate apparently wasn't good enough. We then took the reply letter back to Immigration and just waited for them to process it, take our money, stamp my passport and that was it. It took a couple of hours I think.

I think the most frustrating part is having to go backward and forward getting photocopies and doing faxes etc. apparently that is not in anyone's job description here! Neither is looking at you or actually talking to you in anything other than a grunt. We also had problems getting our letter faxed back to us so we had to arrange for someone to bring the original from Solukhumbu for us.

I don't know if that helps you. But you should know that at no point, in either my visa application or our marriage application, did we have to pay or bribe anyone. It was expected, but we did I not do it and things still went relatively smoothly.

Good luck!

Hello Rebek,
It's interesting to know about you and your marriage.
I don't think there is any problem with your or  husband visa. Here in Nepal your husband will support to go on legally and to have support from Australian authority you know better what to do.
So I am surprised what is your problem.

Wishing you all the best!

BBshrestha
Nuwakot, Kathmandu

Thank you!

hi everyone,   perhaps someone can advise..
.am applying for visa for my wife for USA .I'm a retired american and we'v gone thru this process before- came for a visit and stayed to long, now need a new visa...
is it any easier the second time around? thanks for your useful comments in advance

If it's easier is probably only because you have the documents already from the first time.

W.--  Your wife is Nepali citizen?  If this is the case...samasya chhaina (no problem). You can get a tourist visa for 30 days or 2 weeks on your arrival and  before it expires go to the immigration office with your wife- 3rd floor and apply for a " non- tourist" visa. This visa is sometimes called a " marriage visa". Bring your marriage  certificate, passports; yours and your wifes, and make sure your spouse brings along her Nepali citizenship papers and Nepali passport.   Hope this is of help....