An introduction from a newbie

Hi all

I'm new here. I arrived in Nepal for my second time at the end of May. I have since married a Nepali citizen - my trekking guide from my first visit! Thanks to some information that I found on this forum the process was easier than I expected although with a few very minor hiccups that had us extend our time in Salleri by about two days (and an unnecessary and uncomfortable interrogation by one of the police guys here!). I have also spent about 2 months living with his family in Solukhumbu, which definitely had it's challenges!

We'll be heading back to Kathmandu tomorrow to our room in Kapan, and we'll start the process of applying for my marriage visa. I'm not entirely sure what that entails or how long the process will be so any information or advice will be kindly appreciated. I'll post a new topic about that. 

I think there is lots of work to be done on my part so that I can start to settle in here. I have plenty of fears, reservations, questions and uncertainties - How do I receive mail? How do I find work? What kind of work can I do? We don't need a lot of money (we're simple people) but I have a few debts back in Australia so can I earn enough to cover those? How do I deal with health issues (I've visited the hospitals here when my husband's brother had TB and a bilateral pneumothorax - not impressed!)? How do I get around when my husband is away trekking and I can't read the bus signs? Where do I make friends? Really, the list is endless! But hopefully I can find some of the answers to my questions on the forums here, and through other expats who have had the same experiences.

Cheers
Rebekah

One thing anyone thinking of coming to Nepal should do is to read my blog at FrugalTravelsNepal.blogspot.com also listed here. I had such a difficult time with medical, buses, shopping, eating, etc. my blog provides many tips about getting around here. I also wrote an eBook. If you send your regular email address I'll be happy to let you read it on Google docs. It isn't online at this time. Just let me know if you'd like to read it. I can do this for expats coming here; just let me know.

Hi MadagascarNow. I actually remember coming across your blog when I was still in Australia, just before I left for Nepal. At that time I had it in my head that I probably wasn't going to return to Australia anytime soon, and to be honest, I didn't think too much about the logistics of it. Now I am here, I don't want to return, but with funds running out and no source of income just yet we may be forced to head back soon. But in the meantime any extra information to help me enjoy my time here would be much appreciated. I am with my husband everyday and he makes negotiating my way around the country much easier, but when he is away and working it will make things a bit more difficult. Which isn't a problem. I am young and quite happy to play the tourist - I just don't want to be rorted like one!

Hello Rebekha,

Welcome to Nepalese community.
I am not sure if I can help you with your marriage registration matters but I think I can give you ideas on daily activities. You can write me and I will try to find some possible solutions for them.

Cheers!

Sunita