Hi, can an English native speaker teach English with just a TESL Cert?

Hi all,

I am a new member and in need of some advice; any advice you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

I am a woman originally from the UK and have been living, travelling and working in Sydney, Australia for the last 3 years. I first visited Vietnam 2 years ago and fell in love with the country. I am planning on doing a 140 hour TESL course and moving over to Vietnam for approx. 12 months but wondered whether you are able to teach English without a degree and just with a TESL Cert? I have been researching online but have come across mixed views on this subject.  It will be a huge move for me and one I really want to do but would like some reassurance on the work front.

Any advice you can give would be much appreciated.

Cheers
:)

Hi there,

As long as you're white nothing can stop you from teaching in Vietnam. The folks here are more than happy to have someone that's white. ****** It would be great if you've some kind of teaching certification.

James

Moderated by Christine 8 years ago
Reason : please avoid inappropriate comment

Hi James,

Many thanks for taking the time to reply to my message. Yes I am a white lady originally from the UK and I will be doing my TESL course shortly. Hopefully that is enough for me to teach without a degree. Cheers

Dear Leezal and James!
If Leezal is a dynamic girl, you alway get success in Vietnam.
A degree isn't a problem.
Exam: you can opening some private classes, or teach in some central English.
That is my advice and experience ! You can looking for it more before you decide.
I and many ppl could help you if you come...makesure !

***My dear James !
We don't hate black skin. We all love: Barack Obama, Usain Bolt, Wil Smith and you. :D

P/s: my English isn't good, sorry for this. I need a teacher ^^…

Hi Rio,

Thank you for your message. Yes I am dynamic, fun, enthusiastic and always look at the bright side of life! I will do a little bit more research online too but thank you for your advice it is much appreciated. I am looking to come to Vietnam early next year so if you are still a member on here I can message you beforehand?

And your English is good by the way.

Haha glad to see you love Will Smith!! 😃

Hi Leezal,
Ok ! I alway get here, Hanoi.
I hope Hanoi city will be welcomed you soon !
Plz send a email to me if i am not here !

P/s: let teach me to improve my English skills ^^… i am will a your first student !

Yes, you can. Unless you don't have teaching experience, you can teach English in Ha Noi even without a TESL Cert.

Please let me know when  you are coming to Ha Noi. I work at an English center, so email me at xxx when you are here. I will tell you if we have a vacancy then.

Moderated by Julien 8 years ago
Reason : please post in the jobs section
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi!!!

I can try getting you a position in a country. Do let me know.

Cheers

Hey Rio, that polysemy of yours was definitely cruder and duller than any of my naive high school efforts. Try around finding a fogdog.

Hello
My name is John. Yes you can teach in Vn without a Degree.  Having your certification is a big plus. There are many private English centers that hire native English speakers. I know many foreigners both degreed  and non that teach.
It is just a matter of finding a center or meeting the right person. It's been my experience that the centers in the rural areas away from HCM city. Are always in need of teachers. I know of several that would love to have Native speaker such as yourself. Here is my E-mail ****************  Please contact me I would love to share with you.
Thanks
John

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : Do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security

Hi ThuyThuy,

Many thanks for your message. Apologies I am only replying now. I will definitely get a TESL Certificate before I come out to Hanoi. Yes I have read up on the English Centres that would be brilliant thank you. I am planning at his stage to come out sometime next year in 2016 but I will certainly email you to let you know when. Thank you much appreciated.

I have sent you a friend request.

Cheers
Leah

Hi John,

Many thanks for your message and for your words of advice which sound very promising. I will not come out without a TEFL/TESL Certificate beforehand. I am thinking of heading to Hanoi and it will be sometime next year in 2016. I cannot see you email address so I will send you a contact/friend request separately.

Cheers 
Leah

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : please kindly drop an advert in the Language teacher jobs in Hanoi section of the website

Who's me ??? What sort of work can you provide ???

totally sure you can teach English in Vietnam. Good luck!