Your experience of culture shock in Malta

Hi,

Living in a foreign country implies to discover its culture, to learn and master the cultural codes.

How did you deal with that? Share with us your culture shock stories where you experienced a funny or awkward moment in Malta.

What is your advice regarding the don'ts and what would you recommend to avoid any mistake?

Thank you in advance for sharing your stories,

Christine

I think I had the opposite of culture shock. When I first came to Malta I really liked it and now, three years later, I hate it. It takes a little while to realize that the friendliness is just superficial, and what lies underneath is a deep-rooted discrimination, that is so ingrained that it is acceptable to the Maltese mind, even in decisions of government. I think that's why most foreigners stay a maximum of 2 years. I've stayed too long but I'm leaving now, and I'm not very sorry about that.

Not dissimilar to the USA then!

its really interesting how someone who has never posted on this forum came on just to be negative about Malta -

My mother was born here so I had visited over the years but this is my first time living here. Mostly I detest the prevalence of smoking- and seeing people smoking around children and babies has been my biggest 'culture shock'' moment.
I have relatives here- my mother is the only one who left- and though that makes it more pleasant for my particular situation, I am grateful she immigrated. Very grateful. Having said that, I really like Malta and think that like anywhere, there are genuine and superficial people.
As an aside, I have travelled extensively in the USA and have many American friends, and they are among the friendliest and kindest people I know.

We have been to America 11 times and love it but what was said about Malta is also true about the USA,

Have a nice day!

Actually I have posted on here many times under another account when I was working in the tourism industry the first 2 years, and I said plenty of nice things about Malta, because it was my job and also because I really believed them. ;) I am still being honest and saying what I believe, but I've grown up a little. I held back a long time from speaking publicly about the things that bother me, out of respect for the fact that I am a guest in this country, but as I am leaving, and also because I think it's the responsibility of everyone who sees and experiences abuses to speak out about them so that there can be change, well, I said what I think. :)

Every place has its pluses and minuses.  I do seem to hear a lot about the 2 year watershed in Malta and I too experienced it.  I think the main issue in Malta is the same as the US and any other place.. There is a lot of hype and a lot of promise.. But the reality is just never the same.  Malta isn't unfriendly at all.. But there is too much made of the fact that it is THE friendliest place on earth.. It isn't. Its ordinary.  And being a small Island it also has the idiosyncrasies of small island mentality with everyone trying to differentiate themselves in a very small population.

If you can (and should) adapt to the locality.. You soon discover so many things that make this place a gem.  The key is to be willing to adapt.. And not simply expect to export the culture your used to and try and get it to fit here.

A great example is the US. People all seem to think the US is NY or California or Florida.  Much of the US is actually backwater small town, low rent blue collar.  If you want to enjoy that quintessential NY lifestyle.. You have to be a high earner and also be willing to adapt to the NY mentality. Holidays aren't ever the same as living.  NY is a lot harder than you think and makes for a very hard and fast pace life with some real negatives as well as positives.

In summary.. If you can adapt you will thrive.  Anywhere. The truth is to find a place that fits your desire.. And not think you can mold a place to fit you.  It simply never works.

Ive been here 3 years and I have known the place since I was a child.  I can say with hand on heart.. I don't want to live anywhere else.  On the odd day I get irritated, but who doesn't.  Most days I look out and think I am rather blessed.

P

CON
No.1 problem for me is and will always be the driving. I have never seen that many stupid drivers and unnecessary accidents anywhere in the world. And I travel a lot. The entire road situation is not helping.
No.2 all the feasts, road closures and explosions that sound like war broke out.
No.3 the conservative and backwardly mentality some people here have. Church at least every Sunday, marriage, loan, house. kids.. I have coworkers in their early 20ies who act like people in their 60ies and/or people 50 years ago.
No.4 the hypocrisy. See No.3 and then add getting completely mental in Paceville, before it's back to church and family.
No.5 non-existant customer service at supermarkets
No.6 the lack of any real urban area with a high street and shops.
No.7 public transport is a disaster. Some bus drivers are insane racists who are a danger to the public and shouldn't be allowed to drive at all. (Also: cab-drivers, see No.1)

PRO
No.1 compared to where I come from people here are really hospitable, helpful and friendly. We instantly made friends with our neighbors.
No.2 the general atmosphere is much friendlier compared to central Europe.
No.3 I'm not gay, but I heard it's actually one of the most gay-friendly countries in Europe.
No.4 Everything is VERY close..even though locals sometimes think it's far, but lets be honest. NOTHING here is far away.

I was born and raised in the USA, lived most of my life in Germany, and lived the last 12 years in London...been 1 year and 9 months in Malta. I have not experienced any culture shock here. My only problem is that there is nothing left to wish for.   Maybe heaven is better, I'll let you know.

The people here are very friendly, mostly honest, and helpful.  But the comparison to the Americans is valid, as Americans are mostly very superficial...seems to be the negative side of friendliness.

Ralph

robpw2 wrote:

its really interesting how someone who has never posted on this forum came on just to be negative about Malta -

I find it interesting how you came to that assumption.

I'm glad she made a follow up post. Time to hold your hands up and admit you don't know everything Rob.   :)

Yeah, I know every place will have its pluses and minuses, and that if you choose to live in a place permanently, you should just adapt and accept what's different. Sort of like a relationship with people--nobody's perfect, but if you want to be with someone, you have to accept certain things about them that may irritate you. But in both scenarios, I think you need to decide just how much you are willing to put up with, and if it is a situation where there is lying and cheating and whatever kind of abuses involved, I'm personally not willing to accept it and would rather move on. I do know expats, well at least one, who has lived here for years and loves it and wants to stay forever; that's great, but it's not how I feel, and I think that's okay too. ;)

I agree.  Malta, like NY, like SF is not for everyone. Ive lived all over the world and in each place I've loved it for different periods of time and then just found it was time to move on.  I think the phenomenon people are finding hard to deal with these days is that culturally Malta is changing and fast.  Its is far more Americanized and Oprah'fied than I ever remember it, but its mixed with a hybrid of local flavor younger 30 somethings have a very different attitude to the older people.  This can't be helped really and its probably a good thing.  We can't expect everywhere to remain cute and ancient, its the nature of a smaller and smaller world.. I hear a lot about rudeness and racism.  I grew up in a very rough area of the UK and I can tell you that what people call racism here wouldn't even register on the scale of what I grew up. Malta "feels" the pain of multiculturalism much more than a larger country would.. And the reasons are obvious and the reactions are to be expected.  It takes time.

Just trying to say that everywhere has its faults.  Good luck with your move and I hope you find a place that is more in harmony with your needs.

TheDarkman wrote:
robpw2 wrote:

I'm glad she made a follow up post. Time to hold your hands up and admit you don't know everything Rob.   :)

To me it seems strange that someone posts under two different names!

Rob was simply referring to the current profile of the OP

TheDarkman wrote:
robpw2 wrote:

i came to that assumption based on how she had only written one post  under this account
i never claim to be right about anything however i think its a shame that someone has to start a new account so they can be negative
i know Malta isnt for everyone - but i don't have to agree with them .
obviously steph feels so incensed by her experiences here she wants to tell the world about it - but to change Maltese attitudes you really need to be speaking to them not expats.

From my experiences in Malta the people I have had the most trouble with has been other foreigners - the Maltese that I have met have been extremely supportive and friendly - I suppose I am  incredibly lucky not to have met all these racist Maltese people that exist ...

maybe for me because I came to Malta with limited expectations it suits me perfectly 

in response to the guy who said Malta is one of the most gay friendly countries in Europe - i think the general attitude of people here is as long as it doesn't affect them directly they just turn a blind eye - i haven't experienced any issues due to being gay -  so i suppose its better than the UK that's for sure ... but i wouldn't claim it to be the most gay friendly place in Europe -

Lol! I didn't start an account to be negative; I started it to sell some of my things before moving, and this thread was sent to my email so just thought I'd put down some things that have been on my mind. It's okay if you don't agree. :)

Comparing Malta to America is ridiculous by the way. There are 300 million Americans and Malta is the size of a small US town. You could refer to 'The people of such and such county in the northeastern corner of such and such state in 1 of the dozens of US states' and you'd be referring to a similar population as there is in the Maltese archipelago. The kind of diversity that exists in the US simply does not exist here.

I came here 10 years ago.
My first contact was in Hamrun with some women shouting from a side of the road to the other "hares!" and I was shocked seeing the amount of gold that are having it on seen, the way of dressing, talking and the food, everything on top of each other.For me were like gypsies.
By time I understood the backgrounds and the culture, and now I know that this is all that they can be. We are different and it's good to be like this. Them with their way of being, others with theirs.
I had good times and bad times here. Coming from a justice system what I found here shocked me completely, but if they can live with this, I would like to think that I can, too.
The Maltese are strange and they love the way they are.They are happy and they enjoy many small things that we don't even notice. There are things to be learned from them.
I'm not sure if I'll be buried here but until then I would like to learn to be easy going and happier out of nothing, like them, All these in combination with what I am already though! :-p

I have been coming and going to Malta nearly 10 years. At first you love it, yes people do come across as "friendly" but longer you stay you realise that it is only on the surface and what they really are interested is your money and ripping you off. Learn at least a bit of Maltese so you know when they talk behind your back or even in front of you about you. Everyone from shop keepers to taxi drivers to landlords try to rip you off and often are complete criminals especially the landlords. . The justice system is... well there is not justice and especially so if you are a foreigner. Only reason I have stayed is that I have a large group of foreign friends, however we often say Malta is great but would be better without the Maltese people. And I do agree about the terrible driving (often drunk which is unheard of in Northern Europe), and what was said about customer service it is terrible or non existent I often have just stopped going to the local supermarket because the sales girls are just so incredibly rude. Don't say hello thank you or even acknowledge you if you stand waiting in front of them whilst they play with their phone... Malta is sunny and nice but people are just plain lazy. They do not even walk up a road but drive 50 meters. And yes generally people are small minded, nosy, and old fashioned in their way of thinking. Maybe in some ways it's good (family values respecting older people etc), but there is no progress or creativity either.

Gozo seems to be a lot different to mainland Malta as it is relatively quiet until the Maltese 'tourists' arrive. Heaven knows why the Maltese government encourage them to come to Gozo as they don't spend much when they get here, most bring all there food with them and rent a small, cheap apartment or house suitable for three or four people and then pack in several non paying friends even to the extent of bringing blow up mattresses! Many never leave the accommodation to spend anything on the island.
This type of tourist does not bring money into the overall Maltese economy and is only welcomed by a few Gozitan businesses.It does nothing for the majority of Gozitans, many of whom dislike the Maltese anyway.
As for drink driving, the quote above by ' Anvai'  -  "I do agree about the terrible driving (often drunk which is unheard of in Northern Europe)"  -  I would say the UK was one of the worst anywhere for drink driving, if you look at who is drinking alcohol in a bar in Gozo, it is far more likely to be a foreigner than a Gozitan or Maltese.

Ray

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/vi … ef=Default

this is a very interesting read ....

I dunno... the term "culture shock" in and of itself connotes "negative". Whether it's a person's first or fiftieth post, the responses are hardly likely to be all about the "good" culture shock.

For me parents meetings (the ones just before the school year starts) are a bit shocking. Family events with the oficial speaker clamouring to be heard above the din of crying babies and excitedly chattering mothers. (Who chatter even more if the speaker chooses to switch to English for the non-Maltese speakers for a very small tidbit of info...  and yes, I understand that I'm in Malta and the language is Maltese, and I have a certificate that says that I speak level 1 Maltese.)

The official languages are bth English and Maltese. My cousins speak English first and my mum isn't even a fluent reader of Maltese.
Verliz- I'm taking the level 1 Maltese course in Oct through Lifelong Learning. Did you like it??

robpw2 wrote:

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20150825/local/malta-is-third-best-country-for-expatriates-wsj.581898?fb_ref=Default

this is a very interesting read ....

Interesting, hmm. Obviously no culture shock for the two respondents in that article, but I think they're both in need of a reality check. The comment regarding a fear of the country becoming too crowded was hilarious. I think she must currently live in Gharb.   :)

The Times of Malta has one objective: to prove to themselves that Malta is the most important place in the world. :P

Growing up in a small country, that is quite opened to new things, traveling for quite a while and now deciding to stay here for a while... I would say, Malta has a mentality of a small country, which it is. They protect their own (Maltese help Maltese, foreigners help foreigners) , they operate on favours (I do something for you and if I ever need you I will call you and don't forget you owe me), they are afraid of new, sadly often don't even have a good reason to be, but it is often "because this is how my grandma lived... and it worked so why change it?!". Yes they are a 'little' disorganised and can be pretty rude sometimes.
But for me it was nice to see how diverse this country is, how the "group of foreigners/expats" will help you in any way possible. It shocked me how many things in stores here are from different countries and the prices are not even that bad! (I love the fact that I can buy Reese's cups, Twizzlers etc)
I have adjusted to different things over time, yes even the buses, i have gotten used to them, there is only a few that are still hard for me and one of them is food here. It can be pretty hard to eat healthy if you are on the budget. That one has been the hardest for me so far. And I do sometimes struggle with how small it is, but then I try to go around with a bike, walk etc. see something new, which so far has helped me a lot.

StephieSpicer wrote:

The Times of Malta has one objective: to prove to themselves that Malta is the most important place in the world. :P

as the story was written in the wall street journal and the two reported cases were responding to that - it has nothing to do with the times of malta trying to prove anything

Where can you buy Reese's cups????? :O

Well it does; they always find out wherever in the world anyone has said anything good about Malta and republish it. ;)

robpw2 wrote:
StephieSpicer wrote:

as the story was written in the wall street journal and the two reported cases were responding to that - it has nothing to do with the times of malta trying to prove anything

Rob. That is naive beyond belief.   :|

I've got a feeling I'm not gonna agree with anything you say this week, so best I go do something else.   :idontagree:

TheDarkman wrote:

I've got a feeling I'm not gonna agree with anything you say this week, so best I go do something else.   :idontagree:

Good idea!
:whistle:

When I first came here, I liked Malta. then I started to dislike everything here and some things I even hated. Mela, I did not give up :-) and so I managed to cope with the local lifestyle, habits and traditions and now, after 3 years, I love to be here and do not regret the move.

cheers u sahha

I did it for 3 years before I bothered to sign up for the test. It's only as good as the teacher teaching it. My teacher's been at it for 30/40 years,  and her methodology irks me, because she teaches Maltese in English. A lot of translation and reading comprehensions. Very little comunicative training, and as an EFL teacher who KNOWS she could be teaching more effectively, it was irritating. Finally I said "F it!!!", did the test and accepted my 85% pass mark. Even went BACK to the course last year for additional punishment :) But maybe you'll luck out and get a teacher with EFL-styling teaching.  Maltese is a crazy difficult language to master, but if you're doing it to help your kids out, it's sufficient.

matm911 wrote:

When I first came here, I liked Malta. then I started to dislike everything here and some things I even hated. Mela, I did not give up :-) and so I managed to cope with the local lifestyle, habits and traditions and now, after 3 years, I love to be here and do not regret the move.

cheers u sahha

Yeah i cant agree more with this. I am now been here since feb some things have been a headache such as ID card Bank account ect. Still also finding the right kinda work i want to do. I have had couple jobs here and all have frustrated me. I then realized that actually it might be me not the jobs. But still im still looking for the right role that suites me.
The working culture is very different here i find. Term id like to use is sloppy shoulders. Takes while to get used to.

I found this because I was looking for an old sewing machine. I was shocked to read all the complaints. You should all realise that the island has become really overcrowded - mainly since we joined the EU, HUGE mistake - but hello, how on earth are Americans working here too? And Serbs? Yes, we are racist. Everyone is. Racist, classist, moneyist - whatever - I know those words don't exist but the attitudes do. If you delve into your attitudes you'll soon find something racist there. 

Friendly? This place used to be friendly.  And we used to mostly like foreigners - daddy was always turning up with people he got chatting to who'd stay to eat who'd sometimes become friends.  And most of my pals were like that.  Now, its different. There are just too many of you.  Forget the clannish ones, then there are all the disgusting gambling emplyees - yuck.   On the whole, maltese are sick of foreigners. We have an overdose of them.  And to read stuff like this just reinforces. 

Driving - well, road courtesy was amazing in the past - 20 - 30 years ago. Now its overcrowded and people are suffering from road rage, exarcebated by the heat in summer, the building, whatever. But mostly just from the traffic. Too many people, too may cars' tiny island - simple equation.

What I don't understand is why you stay on. If you come here to look for a job, why's that? Couldn't find one back home? Awwww.  Came for the sun and now it's too hot? Came to the friendliest place on earth or whatever that damn newspaper called us - curse the day that some idiot published that article!  Every Maltese i know swears when someone mentions it.  Just do us a favour and don't stay on and moan, groan or become thieves or beggars. There's an inundation of thievery going on and it is all foreigners. Gone are the days when we used to leave our front doors open during the day.

who rattled your cage ... ?

also if you want an old sewing machine you want ebay not expat ...

Wow. Well you just illustrated my point.

Yes, I did come to Europe because I couldn't find a job in America during the recession. I am also an EU citizen so I had that option. I stayed in Malta this long because I had good opportunities here, and I am grateful for them.

Look, I know it can be scary when there's change, especially on an island, but fiercely holding to this xenophobia is keeping Malta stuck in the past while the world changes. Some values here are beautiful, such as that placed on family, but there are many ways the country could improve, and denying that and blaming everything on foreigners is just silly.

StephieSpicer wrote:

Wow. Well you just illustrated my point.

Yes, I did come to Europe because I couldn't find a job in America during the recession. I am also an EU citizen so I had that option. I stayed in Malta this long because I had good opportunities here, and I am grateful for them.

Look, I know it can be scary when there's change, especially on an island, but fiercely holding to this xenophobia is keeping Malta stuck in the past while the world changes. Some values here are beautiful, such as that placed on family, but there are many ways the country could improve, and denying that and blaming everything on foreigners is just silly.

that poster doesn't prove your point at all there is no way to prove they are genuine ... they have come on here first post and just posted utter vitrol -

Cikks wrote:

I found this because I was looking for an old sewing machine. I was shocked to read all the complaints. You should all realise that the island has become really overcrowded - mainly since we joined the EU, HUGE mistake - but hello, how on earth are Americans working here too? And Serbs? Yes, we are racist. Everyone is. Racist, classist, moneyist - whatever - I know those words don't exist but the attitudes do. If you delve into your attitudes you'll soon find something racist there. 

Friendly? This place used to be friendly.  And we used to mostly like foreigners - daddy was always turning up with people he got chatting to who'd stay to eat who'd sometimes become friends.  And most of my pals were like that.  Now, its different. There are just too many of you.  Forget the clannish ones, then there are all the disgusting gambling emplyees - yuck.   On the whole, maltese are sick of foreigners. We have an overdose of them.  And to read stuff like this just reinforces. 

Driving - well, road courtesy was amazing in the past - 20 - 30 years ago. Now its overcrowded and people are suffering from road rage, exarcebated by the heat in summer, the building, whatever. But mostly just from the traffic. Too many people, too may cars' tiny island - simple equation.

What I don't understand is why you stay on. If you come here to look for a job, why's that? Couldn't find one back home? Awwww.  Came for the sun and now it's too hot? Came to the friendliest place on earth or whatever that damn newspaper called us - curse the day that some idiot published that article!  Every Maltese i know swears when someone mentions it.  Just do us a favour and don't stay on and moan, groan or become thieves or beggars. There's an inundation of thievery going on and it is all foreigners. Gone are the days when we used to leave our front doors open during the day.

Are you actually Maltese or are you just pretending. You are not reacting like any Maltese person or Gozitan I have met! Nor can I understand why you thought you might find a sewing machine on an expat website!

I think this is another 'Troll' for Admin to dispose of, you certainly have no contribution to make to this Blog.

Incidentally without the EU Malta would go even further back in to the dark ages as it is the only real source of income! ( What doesn't go into someones back pocket! )

Cikks, Seriously!! That was the worst side of Malta right there.. You in no way echo the sentiment of all the Maltese people I have met since being here instead just making the good people of this Island look bad, you should be ashamed of yourself with such a narrow minded view on the people that come here to live and blend into the Maltese way of life. if you think that the changes that you see in life is caused by "all the foreigners" then you need to get out more! Yes there are some bad in any bunch but generally I feel the Europeans that have settled here are respectful to your culture and way of life and only enhance it, the issue you have with crime and changes in your way of life is precisely that , "Life". Evolution, good or bad cannot be stopped and unless you embrace it and work to integrate it into your lives while still holding onto the good parts of your culture, history and way of life you will be left behind.
You cant pick and choose which parts of modern life you like such as technology without giving up some of your idealistic view on life.

Myself, my family and friends that now live on this beautiful island all respect and look to compliment the Maltese people, not push our ideals on them unlike in a lot of Europe.. Stop being so negative, high and mighty and idealistic and enter the modern world with a view to enhance and improve things rather than moan and criticise people you know nothing about

Without becoming a member of Europe you wouldn't have half of the amazing new developments and improvements to your country that you have, you are happy to take the money, jobs, increased wealth and improvements Europe has given you but not people that come with it

Hang your head in shame

Sorry everyone but that got my goat!!

Rant over, point made..  As said before, Ebay is the place for you