Your experience of culture shock in Iraq

Hi,

Living in a foreign country implies to discover its culture, to learn and master the cultural codes.

How did you deal with that? Share with us your culture shock stories where you experienced a funny or awkward moment in Iraq.

What is your advice regarding the don'ts and what would you recommend to avoid any mistake?

Thank you in advance for sharing your stories,

Christine

I worked in Ainkwa, Erbil for few months with an international NGOs. Something I got a culture shock is. For a woman to walk in the streets with your hair wet, it is considered very rude or rather not very good thing. As you are considered as a prostitute. Therefore do not do that while you are in Iraq.....If you didn't know, you know now...all the best. Otherwise, it is a very nice place and people are VERY nice and polite. I enjoyed my stay there....

My biggest culture shock in Kurdistan is that if a woman needs to buy underwear and she goes to the markets where locals shop, all of those shops are run by men. The men will look the woman up and down and skillfully determine what size she needs for all undergarments since no trying on is allowed.

This surprised me in a culture that is so conservative that men and women who are not related usually don't speak to each other. Perhaps the shop keepers are exempt from this unwritten rule? Anyhow out of 4 years of living in Erbil, THIS was my biggest culture shocking moment. But I am happy to report, everything I bought fit correctly and that is a record that even my home country can't easily duplicate.

Hi Christine,
Firstly, I would like to share a funny moment.
Once when I was working in a University in Dohuk I was invited to talk with the President Dr. Azad I remembered that it is very polite to say kind words and show respect with replys. I knew how to do it in Arabic but I didn't know how to speak Kurdish. At the end of the visit Dr. Azad said Helo and I thought he was trying to say goodbye. So I told him we say goodbye see you again or see you soon. What he was saying was your welcome. Two months later again in his office he told me helo is your welcome. I was so embarrased. An awkward moment there are many not being aknowledged by male co workers and being picked up by men in taxi's so weird. Having to wait all the time for things to get done.

Crossing the road. enough said I think  :)

I have a culture shock about everything actually. The mentality of the people, culture and discrimination against women. I just find it hard to live here and live by their rules.

Hi,  I am  an expat resident in Erbil KRG.
Living and working in KRG governorate is absolutely satisfying, safe and most people friendly region in Iraq.
KRG has modern infrastructure with hotels, motels and apartments much better than Baghdad and its neighbor  Amman.
Jordan.

People here very sensitive to non Kurdish "Arabs".Hope you got my drift. Remember Sadam's holocaust  to the Kurds? Kruds are polite and welcoming to expats. The ladies are decent and modestly dressed.Lots of multi ethnic foods available. Drinks are allowed at designated locations and Bars.
I been through a reverse culture shock than a culture shock.

Happy to be  working in KRG .
cheers
Raja Kuppuswamy