Your experience of culture shock in China

Hi,

Living in a foreign country implies to discover its culture, to learn and master the cultural codes.

How did you deal with that? Share with us your culture shock stories where you experienced a funny or awkward moment in China.

What is your advice regarding the don'ts and what would you recommend to avoid any mistake?

Thank you in advance for sharing your stories,

Christine

Haha, my culture shock is more with an American colleague of mine than with the Chinese! :-D

Life is different in China as it is in any country.

Manners, language, food, etc.

I'd say start learning some Mandarin.

Have an open mind and you'll probably do o.k.

More on eslinsider.com/articles/culture-shock-cultural-doodads-that-can-make-you-mad.

Good Culture Shock
Young people wanting to give their elders a better life. Filial piety.
Warm, generous and regular hospitality
Dancing in public parks
Old people playing board games in parks
Young people buying fruit and vegetables more than things like potato chips for snacks
The strong desire of young people wanting to learn English and work for foreign trade companies to earn more.
Very few obese people
The number of people growing their own vegetables
Round dining tables- more friendly seating than oblong tables
A population of talented, creative artists knowledgeable about ancient crafts.

Nice points. It's a better way of life in many ways.

Hi everyone,

I experience all kinds of "cultural shocks" on a daily basis. Not only on a personal but also on a professional scale. These "cultural shocks" also differ depending on one's background and nationality. Thus I don't think that giving examples will prove useful.

As for how should one handle the shocks, I personally deal with them and I don't. I believe that focusing on what's important is the key to make it durable for yourself. After all, who am I to judge how the people eat and behave around me. I am the foreigner.

I would strongly advise people who want to spend more than a year or two in china to learn oral Chinese at least. It's not that difficult and it may be a way to overcome a lot of small problems and disappointments. But most importantly, you will be able to be independent and learn more.

My second advice would be to restrain as much as possible from criticizing and judging (at least aloud). It won't bring anything to the table, won't help you adapt and will definitely put off the locals.

I wish everyone a good life in China and some nice and memorable cultural shocks!

Being a beautiful and much older African American, accustomed to people looking at me in an approving way, however in China some stares are more as in a celebrity fashion , with some often times sneaking to take my picture on the streets or asking for permission to take a picture with them when at some tourist site. I know longer go to tourist attractions for that reason.
I attend to my daily market shopping as a housewife and simply ignore people, making all invisible, even when one or a group come up to me and start touching my hair. I simply cary out my task, smile politely and allow them to enjoy until I am done doing whatever I am doing, rather shopping in a market or washing my hands in a public restroom. ..it really does not matter....living in the beautiful Shanghai suburbs in a none expat area...but hey...you get more for your bucks (RMB)

Nice and elaborate.Agree with all the above points.

Nice and elaborate.Agree with all the above points.Even the food served in restaurants is very different.Thanks to the chopsticks :) specially the hotpots.

You guys are making me look forward to what is awaiting me in March!

I am going to be moving to Shanghai in about a month to teach business English. I will be in the xu jui area and am very excited to go. Any tips. I've been hearing a lot of stuff like, don't wear good clothes bc people will steal them right off your body. I've traveled quite a bit and never had a problem with that so idk how true that is.

That is utterly nonsense and surely whom ever fed you that B.S has never been to China (let alone Shanghai). Pack whatever you are most comfortable in with consideration that you or your AYI will be washing them in a washer and hung to dry, being that clothes dryers are not commonly used. There are dry cleaning/laundry services available if needed.