Your experience of culture shock in Bahrain

Hi,

Living in a foreign country implies to discover its culture, to learn and master the cultural codes.

How did you deal with that? Share with us your culture shock stories where you experienced a funny or awkward moment in Bahrain.

What is your advice regarding the don'ts and what would you recommend to avoid any mistake?

Thank you in advance for sharing your stories,

Christine

Before moving to Bahrain I was aware that the region is predominantly Muslim and had read about the cultural differences to the western world before visiting but there are some things that you can not find out until being here. The only things that shocked me in Bahrain are:

The fact that everyone does what they want on the roads with no regard for anybody around them. Coming from the UK where the police are strict on road safety majority would be in prison all ready or had there license taken away (not that would probably stop them driving anyway).With regarding driving, the amount of speed bumps on small roads are ridiculous on how frequent they are but probably necessary due to the speeds and lack of care most drivers seem to have. I have been told that Bahrain is relatively tame compared to other countries around the gulf when it comes to driving which is worrying. I did know that it would be different and far more relaxed when it came to driving in Bahrain but I didn't realize how different until I was here.

Also that many people don't understand the concept of making an orderly queue (This is also relevant on the roads) there have been a number of times people have just walked to the front of a queue and put there items on the counter (I am glad that for the most part these people have just been ignored by the cashier until the queue has gone).

I would advise people to research the region before coming to have an idea of what to expect so that it doesn't shock you when you first arrive as I am sure this list would be longer if I had not done this.

I have only been here a short while so there maybe more that I am yet to properly experience but I will let you know once I experience it.  :)