Where Do I want to live?

I have been living in Zacatecas, Zac for 7 years and enjoyed it immensely.
But the years are catching up with me and the 7900' altitude and hilly terrain are wearing on me.
The cold winters are getting to me too.

Ideally, I like a place at 4,000' altitude or lower.
Rarely gets over 90°F and rarely gets lower than 50°F.
Reasonable rentals.
Minimal expat influence.
They are almost certainly few and far between.
People have suggested a lot of nice places, unfortunately over 6000'.

I have visited Coatepec and found it charming and comfortable with all the amenities I could ask for.
I'm posting this because I'd like to have other places to look at before deciding.

I'll appreciate any suggestions.

Hi Gudgrief,what about Puebla or Tlaxcala.Temps between 50-90.Higher elevations in The later sees The temp drop to low 40s.I have been looking at Tlaxcala in particular as a place to escape The rainy season and nortes for six months or so.

stinkyboy1 wrote:

Hi Gudgrief,what about Puebla or Tlaxcala.Temps between 50-90.Higher elevations in The later sees The temp drop to low 40s.I have been looking at Tlaxcala in particular as a place to escape The rainy season and nortes for six months or so.

The city of Puebla is 7,005 Ft.
Tlaxcala is 7,346 Ft.

I appreciate the suggestion though.

I know it's going to be difficult.

Ok,I thought i read they were at 2500 but that must have been meters.

stinkyboy1 wrote:

Ok,I thought i read they were at 2500 but that must have been meters.

That would be meters.

Tepoztlan near Cuernavaca. Weather near ideal, not many expats but elevation 5500.

Hi gudgrief.

If I were you I would be looking at Chetumal. It's a pretty pleasant little city that I have visited several times. Their winters are fairly dry, Temps 20-32, rarely below 16 or above 34 rains are mostly moderate with only 6% heavy. The walking is pretty level and of course you can look at the sea. I've thought of moving there myself.

Sonia Diaz Ortega wrote:

Tepoztlan near Cuernavaca. Weather near ideal, not many expats but elevation 5500.

www.soniadiaz.mx

Thanks.

Apizaco Tlaxcala ?

stinkyboy1 wrote:

Apizaco Tlaxcala ?

Definitely a possibility.
Thanks

It's about an hour from Puebla.
I suppose I get a bus to Puebla and look for a bus line that goes to Apizaco.
Would you know which bus lines serve Apizaco?

If it seems like a strong contender my advice would be to get in contact with a man by the name of Bob Cox.He is on this forum and Facebook too.He also has a blog.he is from Columbus Ga and now lives in Apizaco,for a considerable time I might add.I have his email somewhere I shall look for it in the morning.He is a professional tour guide serving both Puebla and Tlaxcala,seems like he might could help you out.

stinkyboy1 wrote:

If it seems like a strong contender my advice would be to get in contact with a man by the name of Bob Cox.He is on this forum and Facebook too.He also has a blog.he is from Columbus Ga and now lives in Apizaco,for a considerable time I might add.I have his email somewhere I shall look for it in the morning.He is a professional tour guide serving both Puebla and Tlaxcala,seems like he might could help you out.

Thanks again.

Your welcome Sir

I will private message you his email

Coatepec is a good choice for you. Tepoztlan is lovely but very chic and artsy and pseudo-mystical - is that your style? I spent a month there and did not find the welcome so great, nor the general vibes or organization. I much preferred (on a visit, I did not stay there, but I am thinking about it) Malinalco. Really beautiful and friendly, and not too touristic or gringoized. About two hours by bus from the City. Do check out both places, they are worth a visit at least. Although it can get quite hot - I was in Tepozltan in March and it was already quite hot. Is Oaxaca too touristic for you? Good climate and nice indigenous culture all around. San Felipe del Aqua is in the mountains, and I saw few to no gringos there (although there are some. I was near the end of the road, I could easily get into the mountains but there was a nice market nearby too. Good location) Hmmm..this is interesting, I will see what others say....

Oaxaca is beautiful and has good vibes but still a little too high in altitude and smoewhat hilly.  Coatepec is at the right altitude and about 10 degrees F warmer than Zacatecas and flat.

I'll check out Malinalo, thanks

Hi - Do visit Malinalco - if you dont have a car, you can take a bus to Chalma - there are many, it is a pilgrimage point - from the southern bus station in the City, then a collective taxi awaits....There is surely a small hotel in Malinalco and certainly in Chalma there are many - there is an airbnb rental in Malincalco too. You could also visit Tepotzlan  - why not? - but I dont think it is your scene....

Oh yes. I have stayed in Oaxaco in the winter months and it was really ok - and I am not that hardy....

I liked Chetumal too , different vibe, wide streets wood structures  caribbean feel  close to Belize cheap too

Hi,

Have you looked at Chapala on Lake Chapala. Not too many gringos here, but in Ajijic about 4 Km west there are many!
We are supposed to have the second best climate in the world. In January and February is gets down to sometimes in the low 40's but by the time you are out and about. it will be very comfortable. The humidity here is almost zero. Check it out.

Jim.

I built a very private house next to the Colima river for retirement a couple of years back.  Health issues sent me packing to hospitals in Guadalajara and now the house is for sale at one half the cost of construction and land.  Unfortunately, I am too old to return to beautiful Colima and will sell it at a huge loss to cover medical costs.  The city of Colima is about half way from Guadalajara to Manzanillo, the best of all worlds.

Jim, sorry, but Chapala is the opposite of what gudgrief is looking for! There are already too many gringos and next door - 8-10,0000! I was there (Ajijic) in winter (November), it got down to freezing; I was cold, colder than in Oaxaca. The rest of the year, ok, but there is only a sad little remnant of Mexican cultural life left, tons of gringo activities - a great library, which is nice - but the lake is in bad shape. It is kindof pretty but it was soon boring, for me. Middle class America! Adson, I am sorry for your situation, that is very sad for you. Colima is pretty and not gringoized, but it is very hot! I was there for the Guadalupe celebration - gorgeous! I dont regret! - but that takes place the beginning of December and I was sweltering in my housing. It is nice of you guys to make suggestions but he was specific about his needs!

But it is hot there....and not very attractive a town.

Thanks, all of you for your suggestions.  I've decided on Coatepec for now.  I travel light so there's no big production trying it for a year or two.

I think it is a good choice. Maybe later down the line you can let people know how it worked out for you. Good luck!

jeanfinney wrote:

I think it is a good choice. Maybe later down the line you can let people know how it worked out for you. Good luck!

I will try to keep that in mind.

I suggest you to visit Chapala and Ajijic, it has an excellent weather all year long. The weather is healthy because it is the side of lake Chapala.
It has an international airport 30 minutes away.
There is a large city, Guadalajara 45 minutes to i hour away.
They have excelent bread, the food is good.
Peaople are friendly.
Kindly yours, Ignacio Ysita.

OK, it is interesting. And meanwhile nothing prevents you from making an agreeable visit to a couple of the other places mentioned. It is nice to travel light - the freedom of the nomad!

I felt pretty good physically when we visited Chapala and had lunch at a very nice restaurant in Ajijiic in June 2009.  I got the feeling though that it gets warmer than I would like.  It also seemed more touristy and gringoized than I'd like.  But that's me.

A nomad is someone who moves around often so I wouldn't classify someone who has lived in the same place for 5 years or more a nomad.

Well, if you have health issues, Coatepec with its alternative health scene would be perfect for you! I think you are right, the Chapala area would be too gringoized for you. Veracruz is a very neat state, green and beautiful,  and you are near Xalapa, which has a wonderful cultural life. And the anthropological museum is really nice. Good luck, again....

Now that you've been in Coatepec a few months, Gudgrief, how are you liking it and what pros or cons have you found compared to your prior life in Zacatecas?

Was wondering how it was going....

Hello,

This is like saying you are moving to the USA and asking where a good place to live is. New York city? Texas? Hawaii?

I would make a list of your priorities,
And also what your annual budget is.
There is also differences in weather, depending on where you live.
What 'standard of living' do you want?
Want an 'upscale' place with A/C, good internet, TV, pool and other 'American' type services?
Will you have a car?
Want to live in a city? In the country?
Looking for a job... or work on the side?
Want a large expat community, or happy to live in a primarily Mexican community?

You can find a place to live for $300 month.
If you need to, you can live in Mexico for $12,000 year.

I am going to the Tulum area, Akumal to be exact, and I got a really nice 'hi-end' condo for $1000 month, including utilities.... a steal for that (touristy) area. I may downsize once I'm there and know the area, but initially, I wanted to minimize the 'shock' of my move from the USA to Mexico.

While they may not be the 'best' in Mexico, there is very good medical (for me) in the Cancun/Playa del Carmen area. There is even a new hospital that is supposed to be build soon in Tulum. The local Doctor makes HOUSE CALLS... for $50.

So......
Where you ultimately live will depend on what you can afford and HOW you want to live.

From what I hear, considering all things, San Miguel de Allende seems like a really cool, area.

Just like in the USA, there are many different 'lifestyles' in different areas of Mexico.

I think you missed the content of the original post and most of the thread after it, singledd. Gudgrief specifically laid out his parameters and, later in the thread, made his choice, moved there, and has been there for several months. We were now asking him what he thought of his choice.

A thousand dollars a month?   $60  dollar doctor house calls ?   Way expensive  unless you have money to throw away.

I've been tied up for several days elsewhere.
Yes, I am pleased with my choice.
I'd prefer drier and cooler (in summer.) but warmer (in winter.)
I don't think I'm going to find that at an altitude of 5000' ft or lower.

The only con I find is that the variety of goods in Chedraui and Aurrera is skimpy compared to Walmart (in Xalapa.)  Getting to Xalapa is something of a hike.  Bus to Los Sauces in Xalapa which was jammed the one time I did it in the AM and then scramble for a taxi to where you're going.  If you're doing a week's or more shopping, it means a cab back to Coatepec for 100 to 150 pesos.  I'm going to have to try that.

I am glad it is more or less ok for you. No place is perfect! I've been looking for it all over the world and have given up! I stayed in a rental a mile or so outside of Xalapa,  on the road to Coatepec, I am trying to remember what I did. To visit Coatepec I just hailed the bus on the road. But to get to Xalapa - I went in frequently - I recall it was a bit complicated. A combi? Changing somewhere? You could probably take the bus back from Los Sauces but if you are loaded down, that can be tiring. Well, good luck! What are the temps like now?

Today we really have cloudy.
High about 75. low about 54F.
I've been away for close to 3 weeks.  My taxi driver tells me it has been rainy and cold with a few bright, sunny and mild days in between.

Unseasonable cold fronts, El Niño or Climate Change or all three.
Most of Mexico is experiencing strange weather.