I'm starting to travel and I need your help and advice

Hi everyone!

I've decided to start traveling and to live the life of travel with my small family. I'm a radiologist currently live in Egypt. One reason is I want to get away from where I'm staying right now and also I want to explore the world with my lovely wife and my dear 10 month old son.

I would like to meet more people from different backgrounds and for my son to learn from the world and expand his mind, I want for my family to understand the true meaning of life and it would be great to explore our path toward learning.

I've been researching online a lot, and finally came up with the plan (more a semi-plan actually) to start in Malaysia for a lot of reasons, including that It doesn't require applying for a visa, cause I'm fed up with this system. After searching a lot about Malaysia I got really interested in the country and I really would love to visit it for a while.

As for my budget, I've turned most of my work towards online nature, so I can be able to move from one place to another taking my work with me. That besides some kind of online business I'm building now. That's why I'm looking to begin with medium budget travel.

What I'm looking for is a place that is close to a see and have a long cost, peaceful and family friendly place. Place with peaceful people, where everyone minds his own business with good day- and nightlife activities and some nature areas

I'm not looking for a paradise, but I need the closest to this chriteria

I'm sorry if I've wrote much, but I needed you to understand what I want to do, so may be someone has a good advice.

My main concerns now are:

- How to stay in Malaysia for periods longer that 3 months.

- which city is better to stay in

- How to search for rental, is it better to search online and reserve something before I go, or go to a hotel and then start looking on the ground.

- Is there anything I need to take in consideration regarding that I'm traveling with my family.

- I'd really like for me and my family to meet new people and have easy going friends.

Any help would be very appreciated, and I will be very grateful for any tips and advice you can give on that matter.

P.S. I know that google is my best friend(actually I'm using bing), and what is suitable for me won't always be suitable for others, what I'm looking for is to learn from true experiences and I might get to know some good people on the way.

Thank you very much in advance.

My sincere regards,

Ramy

Hi Ramy,

Thanks for considering Malaysia as your travel destination. I'm a Malaysian and love to travel around the world so much. Perhaps I could assist you. Let's start to answer your queries:

1. In order to stay in Malaysia longer than 3 months, you might to walk in our immigration office to apply for the extension. A small fee will be applied upon approval of the extension of the 3 months.

2. In term of City, I would suggest you have stay in Penang in which famous as a food heaven, beaches, tourist and definitely you could able to meet a lot of local yet friendly people. You can also consider to stay in Langkawi Island or visit it as a few days trip from Penang as it's not far from Penang. Otherwise you may consider to stay in KL for a couple of day before heading to Penang.

3. There is a lot of short term available in Malaysia. Do you intend to stay at a place for 3 months and travel like a local? Do you wish to stay at the tourist spots zoning or can be away from tourist spots? Give me some hints then I can assist you further.

4. Just bring enough things for your infant will do. Actually you can get everything you need from the Tesco, AEON, Giant or local mini market.

5. I would think that Penang Island will be a great place for your family. 3 years back I started bring my 5 months old baby travel, that's great experience. Now she is 3 years old and have been to a lot of countries. That's great for her.

Please let me know if you need further assistance. You can always reach me via email at jessie.eddie at gmail.com.

Hopefully got chance to catch up with you in Malaysia.

Hello llmjessie,
Thanks a lot for your response, appreciated.

So is it possible to extend my stay for another 3 months without having to leave the country for a few days and come back?
I've got Penang as a recommendation from more than one person and I've seen in lots of articles and blogs that it is a good place to go and I already have fallen in love with it.

So I think I will narrow it to Penang, I'd like to ask I you is there is a possibility to find rent in areas that have sea view and in the same time it is not a condo, I really would like to find a simple house or cottage anything that has a great sea view and still not so fancy with lots of concrete walls if you know what I mean.

Also I would like to live more like a local and to find out how the locals are living where are they eating, I don't want to live a tourist life. still I would like to see a lot of nature and to check any beautiful attractions in the area.

I really appreciate your help, and I'd love to catch up with you in Malaysia

Great information Gravitas.
I've always felt more connected and drawn to Langkawi than Penang. But I don't if it is true or not, when I searched online kinda felt that Langkawi would cost more than Penang regarding the rent prices. I am not sure of this.
I also don't get that much results when I search in Langkawi.
But in the end I can't wait to visit both of them
:)

Thank you Gravitas for your well informative tips as usual. I'll keep that in mind and during my searches I'll try to make balanced decision for where I should stay, the safety matters went out from my mind for a while, but it makes a lot of sense what you are saying.

I almost set my mind to find a suitable rent for me in Penang, and may be have a few days trip to Langkawi since I really want to visit it. Also Indonesia is part of the plan I could visit it after the first 3 months for a while. Hong Kong and Thailand are 2 other destinations where I would love to be someday! :)

Hi Doctor Ramy,

These are concerns for tenancy maybe it varies to country to country, yet these should be general rules:

To start with tenancy:

1.) Term of stay full house one year minimum

2.) Monthly Rent and Utilities for:
House Help
Internet
Water gas letric

3.) Move In Payment:
>2.5 Sec Deposit as to Rent+
> admin charges, access cards, contract stamping, move out check/cleaning charges+
>First month rent and minimum utilities

4.)Refundable:
2.5 Security Deposit
less: A/C cleaning ,repairs, loss and damages if there will be.

Security Deposits. Tenant/s given their one month notice and finish the term will get her share of the security deposit returned, minus rent, costs of repairs, replacement, and cleaning attributable to the departing tenant.

5.) Repairs and Maintenance:  Aircon cleaning above 3 months tenant's responsibility cost.

6.) Repairs-consumables those subject to wear and tear and usage tenant's cost.  We can assist to call contractors/repairman.

7.) House rules for common sharing stay only

Dear Dr Ramy,

If you are planning to go to Penang , that will be a brilliant idea. Nice Island , beautiful beach, some historic places to visit and lastly ... Food ... You will love the multiracial food prepared on the island.
In terms of lodging , you can rent service apartments ranging from rm 1300  and above at the beach area itself. Just goggle  Batu Ferringgi service apartment or Service apartment in Penang.
For you to travel to Langkawi will be convenient as well.

Thanks guys for your helpful information

Hi Dr. Ramy,

We can surely assist you if only in Kuala Lumpur stay.

In Penang you should be able to have agents for help.

Anyhow, you can start doing it on your own going thru websites so that you can plan ahead with those informations.

Yup, it is practical to stay in hotel with contacts you have got in online ads then you can meet them up and see the place and discuss personally the contract agreement. With a family with you security and comfort is utmost concern.

Good luck and please enjoy a stay in Malaysia!

Regards,

eva

Dear Ms. Eva,

It makes sense that way.
Malaysia is really a beautiful country, I think it is a must visit one.
I meet so many helpful people on expat-log, and I would their valuable information for my planning.

Once again thank you.
Ramy