Spouse visa to retirement visa : do we have to switch when 50 yo ?

Do you need to switch from spouse visa to retirement visa once you reach 50 years old ?

I have heard some immigration request applicant to do that, I am not sure about the reason ( less administrative task maybe, faster to apply the retirement one, less check to do, but more financial requirement ...)

After many extensions of stays on spouse visa, if immigration request you to change to retirement visa, can you refuse it ? if not, can you apply for retirement visa without having to leave the country ?

Anybody with relevant informations or which have been in this case or who are still under spouse visa extension after 50yo, please share your experiences on this topic.

cthierrymk wrote:

Do you need to switch from spouse visa to retirement visa once you reach 50 years old ?

I have heard some immigration request applicant to do that, I am not sure about the reason ( less administrative task maybe, faster to apply the retirement one, less check to do, but more financial requirement ...)

After many extensions of stays on spouse visa, if immigration request you to change to retirement visa, can you refuse it ? if not, can you apply for retirement visa without having to leave the country ?

Anybody with relevant informations or which have been in this case or who are still under spouse visa extension after 50yo, please share your experiences on this topic.

1. No
2.. I have heard the same.
3. Yes you can refuse. But extension is at discretion of IO. You can apply to change EXTENSION type without leaving Thailand providing you met relevant requirements.
4. Personally I chose to use retirement extension even though I also qualify for marriage extension, its so much easier. The annual retirement extension only requires 1 visit to immigration, marriage extension requires 2. On average my annual retirement extension takes about 20 minutes at Phitsanulok Immigration and requires a minimum amount of paperwork.

Personally I would recommend retirement extension over marriage extension(they are not visas) providing you have a monthly income of over 65,000 Baht in which case you only need an embassy letter to certify income, no messing about with bank statements and passbooks etc.

I have a question however, does the money 800K have to season for 2 months or 3? As it is a new type of visa with new rules I would imagine 2 months however, has anyone had experience of this?
  I will be changing next renewal time from a Family/Spouse visa  to a Retirement visa. The hassles are nonsensical. It is a though the Thai government does not want foreign husbands or fathers here, just their money. Or did I misinterpret the regulations? My partner has to take a day off work and my daughter a day off school. The paperwork is atrocious,, maps of where you live as though they never heard of google maps, blue books, yellow books, pictures of you in all places, schools, home inside and out,  birth certs, papers to prove you are the father if not married, the list goes on and on. It never gets better and I have been doing this for 5 years. Despite the fact that they have sufficient copies of the same documents supplied over the years to be responsible for the felling of a complete Thai forest. I'm fed up with their racist rules and protectionism. So now I will apply for the Retirement option.
I have a question of anyone out there who may have the experience of changing visas as described.
Is the seasoning time for the 800K 60 or 90 days? As it is 60 days for the first application and 90 for subsequent applications. I would assume that it is 60 days as this is my first application for a retirement visa but knowing the IO I take nothing at face value.
Please only reply if you have experience or firm knowledge. Guesswork is what the IO love.
Thank you in advance

Just do the 90 days to cover your derrière .  With your low tolerance threshold, why risk it. :)

My experience and firm knowledge with my retirement visa is that you will have no problems if you play it safe and don't push your luck.

I just switched back to a retirement visa in September. I did so back in the US and I do maintain a US address. I provided the Thai LA Consulate with copies of my income and copies of my accounts to satisfy the 800 K requirement. Last I heard, after you pay $50 US, in Chiang Mai, the US Consulate can provide you with a certification of qualified assets, or whatever it may be called. Then again  that was last I heard and the Thai government makes changes all of the time.

Yes immigration can really suck. Just hope you don't encounter one of those women on her 28th day!

None of these answer my question. Does anyone have a definitive answer. My current visa is up in March 9th 2018 so I do not have the 90 days, which is what I wanted but for an f up with the transfer on the 1st Dec.
So now I have less than 90 days. I cannot just apply on the last day of the 60 days so I have approx 3 weeks prior to make the application and still have seasoned for 60 days.
Is 60 days the required amount for a fist time application for a Retirement visa.
That is what the literature says.

Why don't you look up the question on the Thai web site. You might also consider getting a retirement visa for Thailand out of country. I understand that the Thai Consulate in Vientiane, Laos will do a one day turn around for a visa. If nothing else talk a lawyer, instead of getting legal answers from a blog.

Up to you.

Now I understand.  You waited until the last minute to make a transfer and botched it.  Now you are wondering if they will let you get away with the 60 days on the technicality that this is your first application for a retirement visa but not your first visa application.  It could go either way depending on the person you are dealing with and the way you present yourself.  They have been know to bend the rules a bit if they like you.

(I would definitely stay away form any suggestions the female immigration official might be on the rag or any other sexist putdowns.)

sumarianson wrote:

None of these answer my question. Does anyone have a definitive answer. My current visa is up in March 9th 2018 so I do not have the 90 days, which is what I wanted but for an f up with the transfer on the 1st Dec.
So now I have less than 90 days. I cannot just apply on the last day of the 60 days so I have approx 3 weeks prior to make the application and still have seasoned for 60 days.
Is 60 days the required amount for a fist time application for a Retirement visa.
That is what the literature says.

Hopefully, the last sentence of Post #7 has made an impact. :cool:

villagefarang wrote:

Now I understand.  You waited until the last minute to make a transfer and botched it.  Now you are wondering if they will let you get away with the 60 days on the technicality that this is your first application for a retirement visa but not your first visa application.  It could go either way depending on the person you are dealing with and the way you present yourself.  They have been know to bend the rules a bit if they like you.

(I would definitely stay away form any suggestions the female immigration official might be on the rag or any other sexist putdowns.)

:top:

Sumarianson as you say the law requires money be on deposit for 60 days for first retirement extension but you are dealing with immigration and they may see your case differently.  I believe it will be okay but I don't think anyone can give you a guaranteed answer.

When your funds have been in the bank 60 plus days go to immigration with all required paperwork and copy of the law in case they raise the issue.  Say you are making the change because it requires less paperwork for them and you.

Thank you Straydog , your answer is most useful.
However some on here are not helpful and should not participate in discussions if you do not want to be so. This is a help site. I had looked everywhere on the government and law sites and asking agents before coming on here. For the information of those unhelpful commenters, I left plenty of time for the transfer of funds but owing to a Bank error the funds did not come through although there was no reason to suspect there was a problem. It took time to set up another means of transferring the funds. I lost over a week for that reason. Do not be so quick to judge people, you may someday need my advice.

I would suggest that a one week time cushion is not sufficient when dealing with something as crucial as your visa.  We judge based on the information provided and if that information is inaccurate or insufficient that is not really our fault.  I can assure you here and now that I will never find myself in need of your advice, so don't let that thought bother you.   ;)

Jumping in very late in the game here to open my fat mouth. You really complain too much, it is what it is. As for your question, the rule as I understand it for the period of time bank funds must be on deposit is 90 days, but there are better ways to find that out. I would guess that if you can show only 60 that you could get turned down, but if you're expecting more money throughout the year that will make up the difference for 800,000 baht, you then you might go to the consulate for a notarized statement verifying recurring income. However, that may not suffice if this is the first year of your retirement visa. You may need a notarized statement from your bank of origin. If you want to know for sure what you'll be facing, then you simply go to Immigration and ask, but first put aside your paranoia in favor of a friendly face.  Thais are generally very helpful and friendly and rules fair enough. If you see it otherwise, why stay.

Dear Mr. Sumarianson   Yesterday 13:08:25

Just wondering, did you go to immigration yet?  If so, was the 60 day timeframe for having money in account sufficient?

I see on your profile you are Irish, so you may not be able to go US Embassy for income affidavit as someone suggested. They probably didn't realize you were Irish. Maybe Irish Embassy has same income affidavit as US Embassy in case you need next time. Immigration accepted a notarized income affidavit from me for my 1st time in Jul 2016 and again for my renewal in Sep 2017. It took them about 3 - 4 wks to process my 1st visa, but my renewal was only 1 day.

Kindly... Zeus

I haven't read this string, but am responding relative to the title.

I belong to a group in Chiang Mai called Lanna Care Network. It is a group that helps expat's with health care issues. One of those issues could be the death of a spouse. If a spouse is in Thailand on the deceased retirement visa then the remaining spouse has something like 24 hours - 7 days to depart the country. I'm sure that everyone knows that it's takes a little longer then 7 days anywhere to finalize the details of a deceased person. The point being is that both spouses should have their own retirement visa, just in case.

The problem with that is the 800,000 baht joint requirement then becomes 800,000 baht in separate accounts or separate income, probably awkward for many. 24 hours is the deadline for departure, really? I'm pretty sure a visit to Immigration would resolve that problem with a temporary 90 day visa. The surviving spouse then travels to Mai Sai for a border crossing and initiates his/her own retirement visa the third month following, easy peasy. My spouse didn't die several years ago, but I lost my visa due to a misunderstanding and that's what I had to do.

Perhaps this link from Chuck talking about his experience with marriage and retirement visas may be of interest to some members...hope so

notime2bsad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohpLnpB60po

sorry here is the link   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohpLnpB60po

Re: How to change your Non Imm O Family to O-A retirement.

Now I can reply and answer my own post as I did my retirement visa in one day last Friday.
The requirement is 2 months or 60 days. However you need to apply 15 days before your current visa is up so the money should have been in your account at least 75 days on the date of application ( not counting the application day).
This is for your first application for an O-A extension. I already had a non immigration O on my passport due to family. When you apply for the O-A then your O extension will be terminated on that day and you will not be able to use any remaining time on that extension. As in my case I lost a month. So apply when you have 15 days left or as near as possible (weekends) without going under.
The documents I provided were ( one set of copies only)
Proof of address, deeds in my case but lease would do maybe a copy of a few bills in your name. I also provided a letter from the Juristic saying I was an owner occupier but I dont think it was necessary. 1 recent picture dated and signed on the back then glued to the application TM7.
Copies of all pages of passport.
Copy of arrival card TM6
copy of all relavent pages of bank passbook ie
1st page with your details and all the pages from deposit of 800K฿ to current.
( it is wise to make a withdrawal and a deposit just before making the copy of the last page on the application day, changwattana is easy for this as many banks are available)
A confirmation letter from your bank confirming the funds (cost: 100฿ at Bangkok Bank) better on the day, but up to 7 days prior should be ok. Withdraw a few hundred or thousand Baht from your account from ATM on the application day, without going below 800K฿. Get the staff of your bank to deposit a small amount say 100฿as they are doing the letter as I did and then and only then update your book. Get your letter from the bank and copy the last page of your book or all the relevant pages as the case may be at the photo copy shop.( I use my own printer).
Make sure you sign all copies of documents.
Pin all together and present with your original book and passport and 1900฿.
Thats it.
The following year your money will have to season for a minimum of 115 days. 90 days before application and 15 days prior to your permission expiring. Do 4 months before your permission expires to be safe.

Good luck and be safe.