Plan to go to Phnom Penh with $3000 as startup - possible?

I am planning on going to Cambodia in September of 2016, I'll be 29 by then with a TEFL 120 Hour Certificate. The last year has seen my life turned upside down and I think I just need to get back to basics and take myself out of my comfort zone. Going to Cambodia to teach is a big risk but I think it could be the most rewarding experience of my life.

My worry is that I do not have a University or College degree and I plan on going to Phnom Penh with a startup of $3000...I'd like some complete honestly, is this possible or am I just being hopeful again?

I have no clue, but I know one thing that's invaluable to you - You know nothing.
I don't mean that in a bad way, but you'll have a very steep leaning curve.

I would suggest you buy some text books first, work out how the experts go about TEFL, then you're on the first rung.

As for the adventure - just go for it.

Honestly I would not recommend coming here with only $3k in savings. You can live frugally here, but if you don't manage to land a decent job within a couple months of arriving, your savings will dissapear very quickly, especially if you enjoy the nightlife. If you don't have insurance or family back home to help you out, and you get into an accident, get seriously injured or ill, then that money won't last long either. If you run out of your savings and have no job, then what will you do, how will you get home?

With just a TEFL, no experience and no degree you should be able to find a teaching position, but it will be at the lower end of the pay-scale...expect to earn less than $1000 p/mth.

My advice, is to stay at home a little longer, try to get some teaching experience, and try save a decent nest egg of at least $10k before coming here. Have a look at some of the other Cambodia Expat Forums also, do as much research as possible before making the big move. I'm not saying it can't be done with only $3k, you may get lucky, but its better to be safe than sorry...good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Hi ,Just my piece of advice taking that course has no use at all. I got a friend who just took that. and now she is in Thailand and no job. she regret it. Moving here is kind of mess if you have not plan enough. Please rethink everything.

$3000 is just a month or two , and salary for tefl holders are $12 per hour
and sometimes $800 a month

so How can you survive? Not being rude but being straight forward you might want to read the blogs before coming in.

I spent 8 months in Tokyo with an initial $1500. How you get $3000 in Phnom Penh for a month or two is beyond me...What are you guys doing there and how much are you spending? The setup phase is always straightforward if you stick to a budget, a decent 1 bedroom can be had for around $350. I don't do nightlife, I'd rather spend my evening relaxing on my balcony. I've talked to many expats in Phnom Penh who have all said that is is fairly easy to find work there.

None the less, I appreciate the advice, I will take a step back and re-evaluate my plan of action. At the most I can have $5,000 saved up, I will have Medical Insurance for the year as well. I am not necessarily hell bent on Cambodia, I'd be happy to teach in other countries too but most need a University degree except China.

Cash is always a strange one.
One man lives on the edge, and with his credit card on the edge, whilst another can live on next to nothing but remain content.
Everyone told me I was mad/a liar because I used to live on about $200/month, but I did that for three years, not especially wanting for much.
Local food, cheap everything - no worries.

Totally go for it. English teaching jobs are plentiful and quick to find. $3000 you can live comfortably for months without a salary if you eat locally and live in a local style apartment or house share.

Samantha1 wrote:

Totally go for it. English teaching jobs are plentiful and quick to find. $3000 you can live comfortably for months without a salary if you eat locally and live in a local style apartment or house share.

Girl, I did it with a wife and kid.
Local food (delicious) and lived in a village.
Stress was something other people had to cope with.

Even now I'm in a larger town, I stay in an older estate - works out way cheaper, and the people are great.
I really can't see the point of keeping up with the Jones's at the expense of wondering how you're going to pay the credit card bill - stuff that for a game of soldiers.
I recall a very old thread about a western dude telling the world how living in Indonesia was more expensive than his home country - Seriously? What an idiot.

Thank you's for the encouraging words, I started to think that I had overlooked something. I've been told that even with a University degree I can get a decent $10-$12 an hour job teaching with just a 120 hour TEFL certificate, how accurate is that? Also, are work visa's straightforward to get once you find employment? Thanks again for all of the help I really appreciate it. I have more questions but I won't bombard everyone at once lol.

Lets say your apartment is $350 or $400 plus your electric bill and water and plus another same amount for deposit so, that totals $900 there without your bills yet. remaining $2100.  then you budget, $300 for food and etc. $10/day... plus your water, toiletries, entertainment.and your visa when you here after three months. Be sure you know that holidays in Cambodia is killer. Means those days no work and no pay for many schools.

Now, you still question me How $3000 will not be enough? If you dont understand, open your eyes , many thinks cambodia is cheap but real sense its not.  No fix price here. You buy a thing for $1. and next week its 1.50 depending on the mood of the seller.

Hope this help. No intention to dishearten you.

expat1010 wrote:

Lets say your apartment is $350 or $400 plus your electric bill and water and plus another same amount for deposit so, that totals $900 there without your bills yet. remaining $2100.  then you budget, $300 for food and etc. $10/day... plus your water, toiletries, entertainment.and your visa when you here after three months. Be sure you know that holidays in Cambodia is killer. Means those days no work and no pay for many schools.

Now, you still question me How $3000 will not be enough? If you dont understand, open your eyes , many thinks cambodia is cheap but real sense its not.  No fix price here. You buy a thing for $1. and next week its 1.50 depending on the mood of the seller.

Hope this help. No intention to dishearten you.

Thank you, I will be arriving in September of next year with lines up with the school year. I've been in touch with some schools already who have shown interest. As for the rent, I think you are overestimating which is fine and a good practice to conserve money. I don't expect to be without a job for more then a month at the max as that is all I will be doing, there won't be drunken nights in clubs in the early days.

Now as for opening my eyes, I think you just don't know how to live conservatively. I spend $900 a month in CANADA for a 1 bedroom apartment and that includes everything, your telling me that the I am going to pay the same in Phnom Penh for an apartment as I would in Toronto or Montreal? That is such a big claim, I have been in touch with teachers in Cambodia from other Expat sites and TEFL sites and they've all consistently told me the same thing...$3000-$5000 with a TEFL Certificate arriving at the start of school will have no issues at all, not to mention that I have a year to try and find work in advance.

Will it be hard? Absolutely! I don't have this romantic vision where everything will be easy, I know the challenges but am prepared to face them as they come. I should also note that my $3,000 figure does NOT include visa fee's, health coverage & 1st months rent + deposit. All of that will be saved and accounted for separately and specifically for that purpose. I am doing everything very deliberate with a lot of planning, which is why I am posting here a year in advance!

Hi ,

I am not here to argue with you. As an expat I am sharing what is the real thing here. Now, if you think you be doing fine with your TELF cert and your job good luck with that. Be sure you wont end down the street. Nothing to say, I have said my piece.

Many TEFLR's here share apartments, stay in guest houses, or rent 1 bed/studio apartments, you will be able to find a place for much less than $350. Check out some of the Cambodia/Phnom Penh FB groups, in particular Phnom Penh Housing.

$10-12 p/hr is the max you can expect as a TEFLR with no experience or degree, and remember that most positions will not be full time, mainly half days, plus dozens of unpaid holidays throughout the year.

There is no Work Visa, you need to get an E-Type (Ordinary) visa and then extend it, 12 month extension is appx $285. Your employer should apply and pay for Work Permit, if they won't then I would suggest finding an employer who does, but in saying that it only costs $100 + $25 for the health check for a permit that is valid for 1 year...you cannot get this without an employment contract though.

Hospitals are not cheap here, and not that competent either...if you're seriously injured or ill you're best bet is Bangkok, therefore insurance with a medevac option is essential.

If you live frugally, avoid the night-life, eat locally, etc. then you could possibly stretch that $3k out for several months, but you should plan for the worst and have as much savings as possible for emergency situations. I have seen people come to Cambodia without having a back up and fail miserably, I have also seen people come here and land on their feet immediately...it is best to be safe than sorry. All the best with your relocation, let us know how you get on.

Thank you. I am not being foolish in the sense that I am not going to just jump into the country with some money and hope it all works out. I've already been in touch with schools in Cambodia and my goal is to try and find employment before I head over.

As for the TEFL, it's not something I will be doing forever. I am a Cook & Handyman by trade and so that is probably where I will eventually try to find long time work in. Teaching English is a way for me to get on my feet while other opportunities present themselves, that and for once in my life I'd feel like I was legitimately giving back and helping to make a real difference in the lives of someone.

For medical insurance, I am looking at A+ International, seems that I can get a real solid plan for about $1,800 a year which I'd have paid the entire sum prior to leaving Canada. Are there any major health concerns I should be aware of? Thinks like open grates or sewers etc? I'd like to limit the amount of pain I endure via injuries if possible, how prevalent are Snakes lol?. *Edit* I just discovered a Canadian company called World Nomads which are offering coverage with emergency evac for $449 every 6 months...So that is the insurance policy I'll be taking out.

As for the $3K, I have no intention of just sitting there and vacationing and I would hope that I'll be able to find work within a few weeks of being there, I've talked to several people who went with less money then me and none had degree's, they managed to find work easily. I might take 2-3 days to get over the jet lag, but other then that I'll be trying to find work. I have no need for Cable TV or Maid Service, I won't be eating fancy...What's the sense of moving to Cambodia if I am going to eat at KFC lol! As for housing, ideally I am hoping to find a 1 bedroom, nothing crazy but I need some room to adjust to all of the new things that I will surely encounter.

The other thing I was going to ask about was the Ordinary Visa/Business Visa/E-Type...I'd really really like to get this BEFORE I leave so I don't have to wait in line at the airport (Nothing sucks more than waiting after a 13 hour flight) but according to the Cambodian Embassy in Washington where the Visa would need to be issued, I'd have to get an invitation letter from an employer? I am a little confused by that, people have been telling me that I can get an E-Type Visa on arrival with no invitation letter, do you have any advice on that? Would a Southeast Asia travel company be able to secure it for me prior to departure?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for all the questions.

Ihsahn wrote:

Are there any major health concerns I should be aware of? Thinks like open grates or sewers etc? I'd like to limit the amount of pain I endure via injuries if possible, how prevalent are Snakes lol?.

The only snakes you're likely to encounter in the city will be skewered and bbq'd at roadside bbq's...oh, and the human kind, usually drugged up expats/backpackers ;)

Dengue fever is prevalent in the city, especially during the wet season, no vaccinations or preventative medicine for Dengue, so just try to avoid mosquito bites. Most long-term expats have had dengue once or more, lol.

Phnom Penh is a dirty city generally, so ensure that you clean any open wounds thoroughly, apply some beta-dine and keep covered. Last thing you want is to get a major infection from a small scratch.

The biggest threat to your health and well being is the traffic, you'll understand more once you're here ;)

Ihsahn wrote:

The other thing I was going to ask about was the Ordinary Visa/Business Visa/E-Type...I'd really really like to get this BEFORE I leave so I don't have to wait in line at the airport (Nothing sucks more than waiting after a 13 hour flight)

Fill out the forms on the plane, have them ready with the correct change (in US$) and your passport photos, hand them in to immigration on arrival, and you will have your visa and pass through immigration before your luggage comes out on the carousel...5-10 minutes max! Pochentong is a tiny airport with no more than 1-2 international flights arriving at any one time.

You sir are a Phnom Penh saint lol! Thank you for all of the information. So i won't need an invitation letter for the Type E visa on arrival? Really sorry for the redundant questions just want to make this move as flawless as possible.

I've managed to get in touch with some schools and people, actually have a promise of a interview and a "No worries we need teachers" reply so I am extremely confident that this move will be a sucesss on $2500-$3000. I have a friend who might be coming with me, if that is the case then things will be even easier but none the less I am getting excited about this new phase of my life. Aiming for a June departure now instead of September.

My last question for now is in regards to security and passports. Will I need to worry about break-in's to my apartment and or burglary or is it the same as any big city? Would it be advisable to get a safety deposit box in a bank for things like my Passport etc?

Ihsahn wrote:

So i won't need an invitation letter for the Type E visa on arrival?

Correct, all you will need is the completed application, passport sized photos and correct money.

Ihsahn wrote:

I've managed to get in touch with some schools and people, actually have a promise of a interview and a "No worries we need teachers" reply so I am extremely confident that this move will be a sucesss on $2500-$3000. I have a friend who might be coming with me, if that is the case then things will be even easier but none the less I am getting excited about this new phase of my life. Aiming for a June departure now instead of September.

That's great to hear, I wish you all the best.

Ihsahn wrote:

My last question for now is in regards to security and passports. Will I need to worry about break-in's to my apartment and or burglary or is it the same as any big city? Would it be advisable to get a safety deposit box in a bank for things like my Passport etc?

Same as any big city, there are break-ins here, and they're good! Just take the necessary precautions and make any security improvements that you feel will make your place more secure. Keep valuables well hidden, socks are a good hiding spot for passports, cash, etc. The banks do not have safety deposit boxes here.

Life is really cheap in Cambodia. It makes me laugh when I read $300 for accommodation... I would say that it's more likely to be $150, if... The key is patience, stay in a $5/7 hotel until you'll fine the right place. It should take a week or two.
Food? It eat and drink on $4 a day. Night life? Just forget it. Prostitute, thief, cons etc...
Wait until you know the country, then you'll be wiser and will enjoy fully.

xavierelguedj wrote:

Life is really cheap in Cambodia. It makes me laugh when I read $300 for accommodation... I would say that it's more likely to be $150, if... The key is patience, stay in a $5/7 hotel until you'll fine the right place. It should take a week or two.
Food? It eat and drink on $4 a day. Night life? Just forget it. Prostitute, thief, cons etc...
Wait until you know the country, then you'll be wiser and will enjoy fully.

Thank you! I've been in regular contact with some people in Phnom Penh and I definitely think $3000 on arrival is more then enough, could probably get by on less to be honest. Is the Russian Market area the best spot for affordable/safe housing? Ideally I'd like to live near the Olympic Stadium or Camko City as I am a big Football fan but obviously that is not my priority.

Hi, why would you chose any of these area? As I was saying, stay anywhere where it's cheap in Phnom Penh. Then get started with what ever you have to do (job, business...). And only get a flat, which is a big commitment, when you'll have an income.
Does it makes sense?

Ah man,just get over here and do it. Working as a teacher you might make a grand a month. If you can and want to live a minimalistic lifestyle then go for it. If it works it works. If it doesn't then go home.

Risky, PP is not all it's said it to be. You' ll have to take a 3-4 month course to be certified and tops you can start at $1200 per month. The food sucks unless you create your own diet which is then expensive. God forbid you get sick or get run over by a tuk tuk driver.  You need at least 10k to make that move. Good luck.

Trucks top: Have you ever ask yourself the question:
-"why do Americans have such bad reputation in Asia?"-
Because of there completely lack of knowledge of other people culture.
Also, they have a HUGE problem in adapting themselves to other people culture and will try to impose theirs. 
They are other things in life than burgers...
Food is culture and there is a wide choice to chose from in Cambodia. Open up your mind.
$10,000, lol. I will last a year partying on that.
And for these silly comment: -"you get sick or get run over by a tuk tuk driver"-  shows that you are the complete opposite of what you are pretending to be on your profile-"I am an adventurer trying to settle down in Phnom Penh, Cambodia"- Pleeease!
You probably never set a foot in Cambodia, lol.

First I want to say that I know absolutely nothing about the availability of teaching jobs in Cambodia or in any other country.  I have heard from others that there is a demand for teachers in both Korea and in Japan.  There has been talk of crooked agencies screwing people once they arrive but surely there are good agencies as well.  I do not know about the requirements ie degrees etc.

I have traveled widely and am always happy that I had these travel experiences.

There will always be lots of people killing new adventure / travel plans.

You have $3,000 to $5,000 and health insurance.  Buy a round trip ticket and go for it.

Having said that do your homework on line.  Read the blogs for what ever country you decide upon.

If you decide to not go you will never know what interesting fun you missed.

Google " Travel Dangers " for where ever you decide upon and stay aware of your actions.  If you conduct yourself with common sense and stay aware of your surroundings you should be fine.

I have been out here in South East Asia for 17 months on this trip and have not had even one bad experience but I pay attention and I do not put myself into stupid and dangerous situations.

Consider Korea and Japan.  Both rank as the safest countries on earth.    http://www.numbeo.com/crime/rankings_by_country.jsp

Good luck

Girls carrying purses are the red flag   That raises risks of passport or credit card losses in Cambo ... Lots of moto drive buy thefts small stuff ... Use a little caution and safety is no issue generally .. No flashing lots of money at markets may be wise too .. I would plasticize a photo copy of passport and never take it out if not necessary ... Canadia bank is best and easist to get a bank acct without hassles

USD 3000.- is a tight budget, however possible.
You might need a fall-back plan in case you can't secure a job in Cambodia before your cash runs out.
A good plan might be to make pre-arrangement before coming to Cambodia, contact schools, companies where you possible could get employment, etc. Guest houses in general are cheep and quite secure, for the time until you settled might be your best options. As always in any country be careful till you know how things work, there is no blue print, each and every expat has a different experience, I guess it has very much to do what everyone or one is looking for. My advice, give it a go, can only get better. Reg. Mike

When i moved to Phnom Penh 3 years ago, i thought i had all my numbers worked out.  Rent, Electric Food Phone, etc.  Come to find out i did, but there a was few things no one told me about.  It is the nickel and dime factor.  Part of that is that i am from the US.  Cup of coffee $3-$5.  Here $0.50.  In my mind very cheap, i can afford to drink as much as i please.  Same with transportation, you most likely will be using Tuck-Tucks.  again very cheap compare to the Western world.  Snack foods, again very cheap compare to the Western world.  and there are many other things the same.  Make sure you account for the nickel and dime. They add up quickly and soon you find your money is gone.

where i live is very cheap.  I pay $150 per month for a 5 bedroom 3 bath home.  Not the best home in the world, but good enough for now.  (The home was found though word of mouth). I am about 20 minutes from Central Market. I live here because it is cheap.  if i was to do it again, i would do the same.  live cheap for the 1st year until you know the area and then find what you want.  you do not need a fancy place in the beginning.  Rome was not built in one day. wait until it is right, financially for you.  Do not press your money.  My gall bladder removal cost $750, my daughter being born $350 and my stomach infection $650.  the cost include a private room, A/c and 3-5 day stay. So the point is, thing come up that you do not expect.  You do need money.   You may need to go over your insurance policy with a fine tooth comb.  Make sure it will work here.  Hate to see you spend money and you can't use it.

Medical, i think it is good, but it takes a while to find the right place to go.  I have been to some of the hospital, I will never go back to them again, if i can help it.  I found a clinic/hospital that we use for major medical.  I have had my gall bladder removed, have had  a daughter born to us and a bad stomach infection all taken care at this place.  Very good people.  we also use a local clinic for the minor stuff and also have doctor that makes house calls.  so 3 different doctors we use depending on what is wrong.  All there have become friends of our family.

One of the biggest thing is to be respectful. we are visitors/guest of this country and people.  Be friendly and make friends.  this country runs on word of mouth. if the people think of you as a "bad person", things will be hard for you.  do not use too much of the Western attitude, it will not get you very far.  You are living here and need to bend to this culture.

David

Hi David,
Great post, thanks!
Lots of positivity and good vibes. This is what we need on this board.
What's the name of that clinic? It could become handy.

My wife, in Sihanoukville had a bad root infection and had new (4 teeth) bridge made. It was produced and fixed there for $500. Great job. That was a year ago. We knew it was a bit expensive as the price is usually about $80 per tooth but this chap spoke a good English and we a bridge specialist.

We are not planing to get a health insurance as clinic are very good value for money.
Are you in property now?

Hi David, one of the best blogs I have come across in the expat-blog. I think you are 100% right, well done.
Best Regards Mike

We do not own a house as of yet, with our rent being so low, financially doesn't make sense now.  we have bought land and a few lots for either re-sale or to build on, not sure yet.  the building of a house right now is not high on our list at this time.  I am working on the house plan and have in place an contractor to do the building for  us.  Cheaper to build your own than buy, but of course it depends here on what you are wanting to own, One draw back is  you must know about building construction. it took about 2 months to find this contractor and another 3 months before we agreed to hire him (a lot of meeting to come to a meeting of the minds). in my past life, i was an Investment Real Estate Agent.  Buy old houses and gut them and rebuild them.   At the present we are working on building our businesses up, which takes time and money.  Not enough for everything. 

The name of the clinic i do not have handy right now.  I will get and post.for you.  the 3 doctors we use, we trust very much.  it did take some time to find them. I spent a lot of money, with very poor results, on other clinics and hospitals before we found them.

thank you for your kind words regarding my post.

David

Three thousand is plenty of money mate. There's so many schools here, with a high demand of English teachers so you'll be just fine.

water - 40 cents.
street food - 1-3 dollars.
tuk tuk - 20 min ride - $2-3
rent (depending on the apartment) - usually around $150-200 - water is $3 a month and electricity is usually higher because it's so damn hot all the time and you've got to have the air con blasting so you don't melt away. (Purchase a fan)
normal teacher rate: $1,000 a month. *Do not go any less*

^ for example. You can find a basic hotel for $15 a night until you find a place. Bed,t.v,hot shower, room service (when asked). Unless you plan to turn up at clubs and make it rain with money every night, then ignore those telling you to bring $10,000.

If you want to get out of your comfort zone, I advise you to book the one way ticket and come. I did this a few years ago and I haven't stopped travelling and teaching. It'll be the best thing you do. You'll learn so much about yourself and on other cultures and way of life etc.

Just a heads up, the children in South East Asia appear to be a little bit more naughty than those in other parts of the world. English school's are very competitive as there are so many opening up, so the administration don't really like you telling the kids off - in fear that they will move to another school, therefore lose signup fee's for next year. So it can be difficult to manage the class with that on your shoulder, especially if it's your first time. But give it a go anyway, you've got nothing to lose.

If I was to feel unwell I may consider going to Thailand. Have you?
We have found some delightful, 3 bedrooms, houses near the coast, Sihanouk, for under $60,000.
120m2 house on 200m2 land.
We are planing to "use" the name of a good friend to do the paper work. There is a 4% tax on purchase. And a yearly $50 dollar lease for the person who's name is on the deeds + a 3% to pay him/her on the price of the sale of the house. I am expecting a mini boom in property in the next 5/10 years.
What's your view?

Mike
Thank you for you kind words

David

xavierelguedj;
No we have not been to Thailand.  As far a housing goes, i know very little about their market.  I do believe that Phnom Penh is a great market.  I think it will last for a while.  time is now to get in.  when i arrived here 3 years ago, a Cambodian friend bought a 3 floor - store front row house and paid $120k for it. He sold it about 4 months ago for $185k.  not a bad pay check for 3 years.  this is happening all over here.  Something to think about.  Some of the lots we bought about 1.5 years ago and paid $3K for are now selling for $10k.  Most people in this development, bought more than one lot.  Using them as investments.  it seems to be working. So did we. 

Be careful of your "friend".  what you are doing sounds risky to me.  be very cautious.  Hate to see you lose your money.  As with me in Cambodia, i can not own land, only 2nd floor and up.  You have to be an Cambodian National to own land.  My wife is Cambodian so it works out for us.

if you get the mini boom and sell, then what do you do?

David

My friend is the wife of a very good friend. They have been married for over 7 years. She's from the countryside and very trustworthy. Nothing to worry, I know this for a fact.

The whole idea is to buy, in Sihanoukville/Siem Reap/Phnompenh
Then their is two options.
1. To buy a 6 bedroom house and refurbish it to a 10 bedroom house.
Then rent it to the locals at $100/120 a month. Full return in 7 years.
My friend, Bona, aunty has done one two year s ago and is buying a second one as we speak.

2. Buying an ordinary 2/3 bedroom house and refurbish it to very high standard. This to sale to "future expat".
An easy 8/10% return in 24 month.
In the mean time we will be living in the house.
Best,
Xavier

xavierelguedj
That sounds so much better with your friend.  Thank you.

I would love to see your numbers if i may.

I have been involved in 2 projects here in Phnom Penh.  Bad news is that they both failed for lack of funding.  Both times the main investor said he had all the money lined up, just needed to find someone who knew what was what and go in with them.  well when push came to shove, the money went dry very fast and the projects ended.  But on the other hand, i received a very good education in real estate here.

the biggest thing i can say here is to know your numbers inside and out.

David

1.Check this out:  http://www.aussie-realty.com/property-detail.php?id=166
Property: $95,000 (before any negotiation)
6 bedroom. Look at the garage: Another 2/3 bedrooms can be added there.
The living room is big. 2 more bedroom there = 10 bedroom
120 a month x 10 bedroom = 1200 a month x 12 month = $14,000 yearly
95,000 : 14,000 = 6.6 years + renovation = 7 years...

2. This one for you
http://www.sihanoukvillerealestate.com/ … ertyid=897
Massive potential.
$71,000 for hard titles including an extra land 10m x 16m. This to build an extra house.
Cost of a one floor new house: $22,000.
will come out as round about $10,000 to $12,000 for a ground floor only, with first floor $22,000 to $25,000. No kitchen cabinets or anything else besides the toilets and the wall shower are included. If you want things a little bit more complete or modern, like a real shower, you will have to figure in another $5,000 minimum.
So, to recap: 71,000 + 22,000 + 5,000 = $97,000. Lets call it $100,000
Now look at the price of a very cheap but "decent house":
http://www.sihanoukvillerealestate.com. … ertyId=194
$57,000 x 2 = $114,000. Profit: $14,000. Time frame: 18 month max.
Sounds to easy? I have done it in London, so why not here hey?
The house showed as an example is the BEST value for money on the market right now.
This sort of house sells between $67,000 and $82,000 at the moment.
Do I make sense?

We, my wife and I will be in Phnompenh on the 2nd of Nov.

xavierelguedj
we should plan to meet.

David