Airfare to Cebu - Least expensive way for no return + hotel?

I will be moving to Cebu shortly and realize that I must have a ticket showing round trip or at least leaving.  What is the least expensive way when not intending to use the return portion?  Also what hotel is good and reasonable to stay aut while looking for a permant place to live?

Ron,
When I traveled back from LAX last July  I purchased a "throw away ticket" on Air Asia going from Clark to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia for less than $40.00 it work to satisfy Immigration officials at the airport. The way the law reads you must have a Ticket to a destination outside of the Philippines. I have returned to the USA 4 times in the past 5 years and it is always accepted.

Hallo Ron.

All the times i have entered the Philippines. I have naver been asked at Immigration for a Return Ticket. Only the incoming Flight Number.
But you must leave the country, before your Visa expires, or face a heavy Fine.

Rammers wrote:

Hallo Ron.

All the times i have entered the Philippines. I have naver been asked at Immigration for a Return Ticket. Only the incoming Flight Number.
But you must leave the country, before your Visa expires, or face a heavy Fine.

It is the airlines that require that you have a return ticket.  If the Philippines Government state that you cannot land, the airline is responsible for your departure, and that ticket is their insurance.  However, if Immigration did check, then you may be in trouble. They just don't seem to check though.

I have been refused boarding without an onward ticket, but. like you, never been asked for it at immigration.

Just get the cheapest one way ticket anywhere, and then throw it away.

I got a cheap special to Japan on my last inbound trip.  I have heard that you can get a refund on the taxes on an unused ticket, but never tried.

Iam a little confused about onward ticket and visa extension. I hope someone can advise correct info. ok so I apply for 59 day visa while in canada and plan on staying in philippines 10 months. what date does my onward ticket have to before? I know I have to extend my visa I think every 2 months an go to office  the week before my visa expires to extend it. I think my onward flight has to be date on the 59th day? thanks for any guidance I can hardly wait to get their

silverman wrote:

Iam a little confused about onward ticket and visa extension. I hope someone can advise correct info. ok so I apply for 59 day visa while in canada and plan on staying in philippines 10 months. what date does my onward ticket have to before? I know I have to extend my visa I think every 2 months an go to office  the week before my visa expires to extend it. I think my onward flight has to be date on the 59th day? thanks for any guidance I can hardly wait to get their

I would suggest a 12 month open ticket which can be used any time with in that time frame.
Other members may have other suggestions too.

You renew the Visa from one month at a time, but two months is better (financially), or you can get a 6 month extension at some BoI's.

The current price for a 1 month extension is quoted as: 4,400 pesos
The current price for a 2 month extension is quoted as: 4,900 pesos
The current price for a 6 month extension is quoted as: 11,500 pesos
http://www.in-philippines.com/visiting- … a-tourist/
ACR-i card is extra to the above costs

The date of the return or onward ticket appears to be irrelevant, especially if you don't plan to use it.
I had an onward ticket dated 26 Apr when I entered on 12 Feb, so 73 days after entry.  The airline had no problems with that date.

stumpy wrote:

I would suggest a 12 month open ticket which can be used any time with in that time frame.
Other members may have other suggestions too.

I was looking into Open tickets the other day, as that would be ideal (at the right price), but I wasn't able to find anyone that does them these days.

Todays outward pecial 1,500 pesos to Hong Kong sounds a good option (then throw the ticket away away)
or Manila to Kota Kinabalu P1,788 all in, if that one sells out..

thanks ABCDiamond  I will just book onward  with date past 59 days , you used to beable to buy open end date return tickets but moset airline won't do that  anymore aircanada i think is only allows 10 months. when i apply in canada for 59 day tourist visa they want copies of airline tickets and I was concerned that if return or onward where pasted 59 days they might refuse

silverman wrote:

thanks ABCDiamond  I will just book onward  with date past 59 days , you used to beable to buy open end date return tickets but moset airline won't do that  anymore aircanada i think is only allows 10 months. when i apply in canada for 59 day tourist visa they want copies of airline tickets and I was concerned that if return or onward where pasted 59 days they might refuse

Double check the 59 days with the embassy if you are applying for a visa before entry.  I always get a Visa on entry, so the rules may be different.
If you don't plan to use the return ticket, then play safe and keep it in the 59 days if the Embassy say that.

I have never had to show a return ticket at immigration before, but when an embassy does the visa ?? Who knows.

right I will have to check with immg. my plan is to live in philippines about 10 months an  return to canada for 2months an take care of my income tax .once I get my tickets an visa I will post procedure

Don't forget also, after 6 months in the Philippines you need an ECC to be allowed out ;)http://www.in-philippines.com/requireme … rtificate/

yes I have read about that in the forum .maybe someday they will  simplify everything ecc,exit fees,visa, everything has a charge in philippines and I undersgtand people are just trying to feed there families.I wonder if entry fees are legal when you want to snorkel in some part of the ocean like twin lagoons in palawan.not complaining just wondering

I have found the interpretation of the BI regulation vary from office to office, but as I rule of thumb the exit clearance has a fee of 1200 peso plus 4 sometimes 6 photos, please don't ask why the variance because who knows. The bi monthly extension is 2830 peso plus 1 or 2 photo's  and the ACR card is the peso equivalent of $50.00 USD the first time you are required to provide a photo. It is vaild for one year.

silverman wrote:

.maybe someday they will  simplify everything ecc,exit fees,visa,

You sure know how to make someone laugh, and spill his coffee while reading this ;)

I am sure the aim is to complicate everything as much as they can, add new rules and fees whenever possible, and confuse everyone so much that we just give up and accept it...

madhatter868 wrote:

I have found the interpretation of the BI regulation vary from office to office, but as I rule of thumb the exit clearance has a fee of 1200 peso plus 4 sometimes 6 photos, please don't ask why the variance because who knows. The bi monthly extension is 2830 peso plus 1 or 2 photo's  and the ACR card is the peso equivalent of $50.00 USD the first time you are required to provide a photo. It is vaild for one year.

You are right about the Interpretation varying.

I paid 500 pesos for my ECC last November, the form said 5 photos, the officer asked for 6, said the form was wrong.

The two month extension has always been 3,030 for me, but I just saw they now quote 4,400 for one month and  4,900 for two months.
There are also different rates for this for some different nationals. My quoted rates are for Australian Passport holders.

The ACR card cost is a weird one: 500 pesos + US$50 (converted into pesos at the current rate), so about 2,750 pesos..

they must have a large photo album,why they need 6 pic's maybe conspiracy theory-counterfeit passports  lol !  :) 
I have notice when reading posts on  the forum the prices really vary concerning visa extensions maybe their is something to what nationally you are or what office you go to

I have never had to get one because they ask and I tell them I have an E Ticket to Bangkok... Not a problem. They ask when say in three weeks.. They don't care...its a rule they only follow up on if you say you don't have one.

sirrobcentral wrote:

I have never had to get one because they ask and I tell them I have an E Ticket to Bangkok... Not a problem. They ask when say in three weeks.. They don't care...its a rule they only follow up on if you say you don't have one.

Does your airline ask you?  Mine have always asked to see the ticket information when I fly.

thank you for the information

Last November I told Philippines I was staying for 3 weeks, they asked to see nothing.  Cathay Pacific knew I had a round trip ticket, never showed them anything but my boarding pass.

I think I realised why immigration don't seem interested in whether you have a return/outward ticket or not.

They have told the airlines that you have to have one, and made it the airlines responsibility.

So if things go wrong, the airlines pay for you to leave.  The airline may charge you later if you got around the rules somehow ;)

mugtech wrote:

Last November I told Philippines I was staying for 3 weeks, they asked to see nothing.  Cathay Pacific knew I had a round trip ticket, never showed them anything but my boarding pass.

I believe if you are dressed well and look important they never ask to see anything...Even the airlines...

the airline you take to the philippines will usually ask to see your ticket out of the philippines - check cebu to hong kongon both air asia and cebu pacific - you may even wish to use it and return so as not to overstay visa requirements - you can extend the visa for only a limited period then must depart but can return next day

afzalraza wrote:

tyou can extend the visa for only a limited period then must depart but can return next day

You can stay up to 3 years as a tourist, extending your visa normally every 2 or 6 months.
http://www.in-philippines.com/extension … y-visitors

The cheapest ticket to satisfy the airline and anyone else is: Air Asia Clark to Kuala Lumpur, less than $40.00, I just used it myself.

thanks

Ron,
        I traveled to Cebu with Cathay Pacific. When I arrived there i went to the Cathay Pacific office the following day. they refunded the return ticket back to my credit card,no problem

Thank you.  I guess it never hurts to ask for refund.

Suggest the Kiwi Lodge - Cebu City - clean and reasonable - you only need a return ticket to Singapore or Hong Kong - suggest Cebu Pacific

petehuk wrote:

Suggest the Kiwi Lodge - Cebu City - clean and reasonable - you only need a return ticket to Singapore or Hong Kong - suggest Cebu Pacific

If this is for the return/onward flight requirement into the Philippines, you only need a one way ticket to anywhere, so no need to actually use it.

We just keep renewing the visa and don't bother leaving until about 3 years later, when a overnight trip will do the trick.

Adding an actual trip into the equation probably pushes the cost past the cost of getting a refund on the normal return ticket.

Refundable tickets are not often free, although some airlines appear to offer them, such as the one mentioned earlier "Cathay Pacific".  Some travel agents have their own cancellation fees on top of any airline fee. Flight Centre for example charge $300.  "Cancellations to International bookings (excluding Trans-Tasman bookings) will incur a fee of $300 per passenger per booking in addition to supplier fees. 

flightcentre.com.au/booking-terms-condition
"

Why are you bothering to get a 59 day visa in Canada. http://www.philembassy.no/consular-services/visa
You can get that at the airport immigration office after arrival and before approaching the immigration checkpoint. Might even be cheaper there.
Get your outbound flight within the 59 days.No one will give a rats behind in the PH. It's only the airline that wants to see it on your out bound flight from Canada. Good luck.....:)

Munchie wrote:

Why are you bothering to get a 59 day visa in Canada. http://www.philembassy.no/consular-services/visa
You can get that at the airport immigration office after arrival and before approaching the immigration checkpoint. Might even be cheaper there.
Get your outbound flight within the 59 days.No one will give a rats behind in the PH. It's only the airline that wants to see it on your out bound flight from Canada. Good luck.....:)

The Philippines Embassy in Canada states the 9(A) Temporary Visitor's Visa cost as:

Single entry valid for three (3) months C$ 37.50 (just under 1,400 pesos)
http://philembassy.ca/main/index.php?op … Itemid=100

That's about half the price of a Visa extension after 30 days in the Philippines (3,030 pesos for up to 59 days) Bureau of Immigration

It does however take longer to get, but from the comfort of your home country.

This bit is confusing when the price is given for a 3 month Visa...

The length of stay for holders of temporary visitor's visa (9-a) is 59 days. Those whose stay in the Philippines will exceed 59 days must secure an extension of stay from the Bureau of Immigration and pay the required fees.

[i]Single entry valid for three (3) months C$ 37.50 (just under 1,400 pesos)
http://philembassy.ca/main/index.php?op … Itemid=100[/

You are right, but let's face it,we are talking peanuts here and in the long run what hoops do you have to jump thru to get that visa in Canada.....bus fares....time off work...postage. I have been to PH many times and just found it so much easier to just drop into the airport office....10 minutes,,,around 2300 peso....walah 59 day visa.
These days I have my 13a visa...life is good.

I might just consider getting 59 day visa a Manila airport if it only takes 10 mins.I always thought with line ups and anytime dealing with immigration it would take a lot longer the only thing I don't like about getting my visa here in Canada is mailing my passport to them. but time wise it takes a week.

Munchie wrote:

[ I have been to PH many times and just found it so much easier to just drop into the airport office....10 minutes,,,around 2300 peso....walah 59 day visa.

How long ago was that ?

I have read that many people can't do it at the Airport these days,
The BoI website says the price is now 3,030, and that is what I have page each time I get it since 2012.
But each time I get it, it has meant a trip to a Bureau of Immigration, wearing trousers,shirt and proper shoes, and between 1 to about 4 hours waiting.

I did find one website that states the visa is 2,300 pesos, but that page was dated 2004.

Another says it can be done at terminal 1, but not at Terminal 2. With prices being quoted by people between usd $50 plus P500 express lane fee and from P2200 to P3030, With some recent prices of 2,700
One site says it  it can take up to 2 hours to complete the procedure at the airport.
I also just read "The official rate for the 29 day visa waiver extension on arrival at the airport is the piso equivalent of usd $50 plus P500 express lane fee." (2015) This works out at about 2,800 depending on the FX rate.

Some people do get this 29 day extension at the airport immediately after they arrive. But many others say they have tried but have been unable to get it there.  Some get told that it cannot be done at the Airport.  Others say they have done it, and at a lower cost of nearer 2,800 pesos.

Only ONE thing is certain here... and that is: NOTHING is certain ! ;)

This is the official breakdown of costs for the extension to 59 days visa waiver fee as at 6th March 2014, and current at August 2015:

ITEM DISCRIPTION    AMOUNT
Visa Waiver    Php 500. 00
Visa Waiver Application Fee    1, 000. 00
Certification Fee    500. 00
Legal Research Fee (LRF)    30. 00
Express Fee    1, 000.00
TOTAL    Php 3, 030. 00

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/visa-requ … isa-waiver

Express fees are always charged, even if it takes a week or two.  Not sure why they can't be honest and just make it a simple single price.

Spelling: "DISCRIPTION" is their (Bureau of Immigration) spelling, not mine ;)

ABCDiamond wrote:
Munchie wrote:

[ I have been to PH many times and just found it so much easier to just drop into the airport office....10 minutes,,,around 2300 peso....walah 59 day visa.

How long ago was that ?

I have read that many people can't do it at the Airport these days,
The BoI website says the price is now 3,030, and that is what I have page each time I get it since 2012.
But each time I get it, it has meant a trip to a Bureau of Immigration, wearing trousers,shirt and proper shoes, and between 1 to about 4 hours waiting.

I did find one website that states the visa is 2,300 pesos, but that page was dated 2004.

Last time I did it was 2012 at Terminal 3 took,10 minutes.

Another says it can be done at terminal 1, but not at Terminal 2. With prices being quoted by people between usd $50 plus P500 express lane fee and from P2200 to P3030, With some recent prices of 2,700
One site says it  it can take up to 2 hours to complete the procedure at the airport.
I also just read "The official rate for the 29 day visa waiver extension on arrival at the airport is the piso equivalent of usd $50 plus P500 express lane fee." (2015) This works out at about 2,800 depending on the FX rate.

Some people do get this 29 day extension at the airport immediately after they arrive. But many others say they have tried but have been unable to get it there.  Some get told that it cannot be done at the Airport.  Others say they have done it, and at a lower cost of nearer 2,800 pesos.

Only ONE thing is certain here... and that is: NOTHING is certain ! ;)