Using foreign degree for obtaining driver's license

I would like to get a driver's license here in Sofia, where I live. I never had a driver's license before, so I will have to go through the whole system.

The main hurdle seems to be to get my Belgian high school degree recognised here, since they need some degree before you can start the lessons. I've contacted the ministry of education to ask how I can get it recognised, but I didn't get an answer.

Does anybody have any experience with this? Any advice on how to proceed is welcome.

Thank you.

I will also be interested to know the answer, as I have to start from square one because I have an American license. Hopefully, I will be able to do my lessons this fall (I feel ridiculous- I have had my license for 16 years, about 8 of which I was driving children and teens, as well as towing trailers as part of my job. Now I have to go through everything again... <sigh>).

If I figure out anything, I will post it here, but please, definitely, post your process with the paperwork as you go through it, in case you start before me :)

When I first got here I had the same idea, to get a BG license, after going to the ministry of education here in sofia I was sent to another place, there I was told I'm in the wrong place and they began to explain to me where I need to go and that I can read all the info on some bulletin board in the entrance hall, the lady had such an attitude like that wasn't her job and I was bothering her at home. Long story short, I tuned around mid conversation and I've been driving with my Cali license ever since. I know this doesn't help anyone trying to get a license but moral of the story is arm yourselves with EXTRA patience.

perjas I suggest you do not bother with a Bulgarian licence. Just use your American licence and renew it as and when necessary. I drive on a British licence and have done for the 5 years I have been here. I also think that you can, if you wish, get, by means of your American licence, a Bulgarian licence without having to take a further test.

Fingers wrote:

perjas I suggest you do not bother with a Bulgarian licence. Just use your American licence and renew it as and when necessary. I drive on a British licence and have done for the 5 years I have been here. I also think that you can, if you wish, get, by means of your American licence, a Bulgarian licence without having to take a further test.

You have to take the BG test to get BG license.

The OP said they do not currently have a licence.

For Americans, the legal rule is that you can use an American licence with a Bulgarian translation for 1 year, then you have to get a Bulgarian licence. While residents of many countries can exchange their licences for a Bulgarian without taking any exams, the US does not have that type of agreement with Bulgaria, which means that (legally) we have to get a Bulgarian licence after a year by taking the course and the exam. Of course, while we are on the one-year residence permit, it would be very difficult for anyone to see that we were over our time and almost all of the Americans I know here just use their American licences. 

I want to get my Bulgarian licence before I get my five year residence permit next year, because then, should I ever have a run-in, it would be obvious that I am not obeying the rules.

It seems that I just will have to try my luck with the Bulgarian administration, which is always a pleasure.

Kojidae, it would be great if you could report back here with your experience. I won't start the attempt before November, so I guess you might go through it first.

Best way to find out what/where you need to go is to talk to the driving school you intend to use. As they're dealing with foreigners they will tell you what documents you need translated and where you need to take those document's afterwards, to properly register for the theory/practical tests etc. I'm certain any documents you have translated need to be certified and most translation agencies can do both. I'm intending to do the same and currently know of one school that are teaching in English., although the course price is a little steep.

Which driving school do you intend to use?