Health concerns - Regarding Vaccinations

Hello to all. My name is Garry and my spouse and I will be moving to Guatemala in Nov., probably to Antigua. I have a question regarding vaccinations. I know they are not required, but many health sites recommend typhus and yellow fever vaccinations especially.Is this best to do in the US before leaving, or can we get these in Guatemala after we arrive?  Is it less or more expensive in Guatemala? Thanks in advance for any help with this.
Garry

I have been here almost 22 years and have never had a vaccination. Did not have them before I can and none since. I know some people have them before they come as the websites suggest it. Generally they are less expensive here but for yellow fever and typhus I would not know. My two sons were born here and were vaccinated with what children are vaccinated in the states and those were much cheaper here...

Thanks Guategringo. That totally answered my questions.

I have lived here off and on for many years and never had a vaccination except for tetanus and that was a while back, after I stepped over a rusty nail. However, if it has been recommended, can't hurt to get them. I know my son got a malaria vaccination here before going to Africa, as it was required by his college in the US and it seems it was cheaper here.  But that was some years ago!

Thanks Miss Trudy, I appreciate your feedback.

I moved from Canada to Lake Atitlan in April. I got my twinrix vaccinations at a travel clinic before I left Canada. They protect against Hepatitis A & B. They are given in a series, so you need to plan ahead! I think I started the series six months before I arrived. There is a fast track series, which my boyfriend did, but in a few months we will have to find a clinic somewhere that can give the booster dose, which probably means a trip to Xela or Antigua. Twinrix vaccinations protect for life, I believe.

I also got my Typhoid vaccination, which was a simple set of pills for a few days. It lasts for three to five years, I think. This disease is prevalent here so any clinic can get you the pills.

You can read Chasing Marbles. I'm from Canada, so your experience will be different, of course!

Yellow fever vaccinations are not required. As far as I know, they can be obtained here in Guatemala City. I'm not sure about Antigua. I think that the yellow fever vaccine is a requirement if you LEAVE Guatemala to a country in South America and then want to return to Guate.

Malaria prophylaxis is readily available here for any trips into the eastern part of Guatemala, the jungly bit.  :D

Antigua is quite a modern city and I'm sure you can find everything you need. Plus it is a short distance to Guate City for anything else.

Best of luck!