Converting Spousal Visa to Work permit,Is it possible?

Hi guys,

Need some information regarding converting from spousal visa to work permit.I'm currently working as a consultant in Durban & my wife's on spousal visa.She has good education background & now looking to work in SA.Can you tell me the procedure of converting from Spousal visa to Work visa.Does she have to go back to home country to apply the visa or is it possible to apply through Home affairs?  Does she has to have a job offer before applying for the work permit?Really appreciate your thoughts regarding this.

Unless her qualifications fall within a Critical Skills List, she has to have a job offer and a contract and endorse her spouse visa with a work visa, for what she will have to submit all document for a tipical work visa.

If she falls within a critical skills, she can ask for a critical skills permit, it would be granted for 12 months is she does not have yet a contract, or up to 5 years if she has a contract.

For who long would you be in SA working?
Remember the procedure is super slow, a normal working visa can take up to 6 months just to gather the documents (because the certificate from the labour department takes too long to be issued, and police cleearance can be at least another 2 months) and for a critical skills she may need to be registered with the profesional body, another pain!

Another option is that she gets hired by a company that can make use of the premium facilities (usually big multinationals and universities), then her processing time gets reduced significantly.

Hope it helps.

Angie

You should also look into the option to get a work endorsement on your spousal visa. It then gets changed to a visitors visa 11(6) (not 100% sure its that one). Then no need to get a working visa.

Hi,

Thanks Angie & Anne.Big help.

@Angie,
Im have a 4 year work permit.Since my wife is not from SA,Does she still have to get the police clearance?

@ Anne
Do you have any info about how to get this work endorsement criterion?I thought its applicable only for the SA Permanent Residents,Can she still apply for a work endorsement cause I'm having a work permit?

Permanent Residence allows you to work, you do not need endorsment. On a temporary one you do, same as on spousal visa.

Sa11y wrote:

Permanent Residence allows you to work, you do not need endorsment. On a temporary one you do, same as on spousal visa.

HI Sally,

Work permit goes under the category Temporary Resident I guess.To get a work endorsement for spousal Visa whats the procedure? Does she has to have a work offer from SA or is it something you can apply & get?

Yes, precisely. The laws changed recently so I'm not entirely sure what the process is for endorsing spousal visa. If your wife had to apply from scratch, she would have to do this from home country. It might be easier for spouses, but worse case scenario is that she has to have contract in place and go back to apply from home.