Accommodations in El Valle

Can anyone provide info on price range for 2 bedroom accomm. in El Valle as well as current food prices, availability of fresh fruit and vegetables, local transportation, safety, and any other details you wish to share? I've already checked out Las Tablas which is too tropical. Looking for a more moderate climate; however, I welcome gray clouds and rain, just not constant high temps and humidity. I've read Lonely Planet and other guide books but they obviously can't provide all one needs to know for potential retirement. Many thanks.
PS50

P.S. I am aware of the different types of visas and regs. Thank you.

Regarding safety and availability of fruits I can definitely recommend El Valle.
I must say its one of the best places to be due to its climate. I can also say that it is one of the safest
places in Panama. Really nice place to be. In the center of El Valle is a fruit market where you can buy everyday until 6pm fresh fruits and vegetables. Regarding the transportation there is a bus going to Panama City almost every 30 min. until 8pm.

Let me know if you have more questions!!

Hola, Tomaso,
I responded to your PM. Thank you so much.

What do you think about El Valle compared to Sante Fe? Again, I do not care for tropical climate or humidity. I don't mind gray skies and rain. I love gardening, verdant surroundings, learning about the local culture, walking, getting involved in the community, love animals, interested in volunteering, etc.  I am not in the gated community scene and have lived and worked overseas in many countries. I love cultural diversity and one of my passions is ethnic cooking. Many thanks again.
Regards,
PS50

Hi, Tom,
Are you a native New Yorker? Another northerner -- go NY Yankees!

Fortunately, Panama is only a 4-hour flight away compared to Ecuador. I was disturbed to hear about the crimes committed in Boquete. Is that a trendy, upscale area? I'm a savvy traveler, know not to display jewelry, etc. However, as a single, mature female, one can never be too safe in any place in the world.

Are the ex-pats in El Valle more middle class (not gated community type)? What can one expect in terms of housing? I ask because when I visited Las Tablas for 10 days, I was shocked to learn houses do not have insulated roofing so rodents and insects invade and cover one's counter tops with their droppings. Also, few shops had a-c in that suffering humidity. There were bats flying everywhere in the evening. The supers turned off their a-c at night so you weren't sure how safe food products were for human consumption.  Also, what about hot water access? I'm sorry to ask so many questions. I realize I need to be on the ground to explore. I'm still teaching at the local college, but know once I retire this may not be possible and would like to know if there is a social life without having to spend a lot of money to do so and welcome opportunities for community involvement.  I so appreciate your kind replies.

Best regards, PS in VA

El Valle is a very nice mixed community of locals, expats, and wealthy Panamanians who have weekend homes here. There is only one small and wealthy development that is gated. A 2BR house in a decent area will rent for probably $600 and up. All at that price will have hot water at least in the shower. Some will have a finished ceiling. Compared to Santa Fe, it is much larger with more expats and many, many more amenities and is a few degrees cooler. No AC is needed, just a fan in the afternoons. There are many opportunities for community work including the Green Team, spay/neuter clinic, Christmas gift giving to mountain areas, etc.

Look into Boquete for Gringo's and many needs.  More needs can be found in David less than an hour away.  Higher, cooler climate but still gets plenty of rain and where there is rain, there is humidity!

Thank you, Tr,
I've crossed David, Boquete and Las Tablas off my list for various reasons. I'm trying to stay under $2,000/month. I don't need a maid, gardener, etc.  However, I can't live like a local nor can I afford or desire the gated community scene, i.e., middle class, if that is an apt term in Panama (I realize one cannot apply standards from one country to the next). So, you say a 2 BR house (not a flat) for around $600 - is it typical to have a patio, balcony or small garden area? I'm not an urban loft dweller without a view or outdoor area. It gets rather humid in central VA as well but I do enjoy the verdant surroundings and enjoy my hobby of gardening, perhaps to grow some herbs. I'd like to avoid having to own a vehicle and to be able to walk most places. I've lived in other countries, some developing, and did not waste my $ on imported goods. I learned to shop for fresh fruits and vegetables and cook like the locals.   I know, it's best to be on the ground and explore. What would be the best time to do that? Many thanks for all of your kind feedback and advice. Back to learning Spanish......
Regards,
PS

Hi PS. I am looking for something similar. I am a Venezuelan living in Venezuela and you may be aware of what is now happening in my country. I would like to find an area which is close to supermarkets, banks, drugstores, etc., I do not like driving either. Also close to some medical facilities, since my mother is a senior citizen. Please, share with me any useful tip you receive. So far, it seems that El Valle is nice.

Hi, I would like to know if El Valle is too much like a town or if it is more like a small city. Are there any medical facilities nearby_ My mother is a senior citizen. Thank you

TomRichter wrote:

I must say its one of the best places to be due to its climate.

Let me know if you have more questions!!

Hi Tom - you mention climate in El Valle. I am looking for moderate temps but a decent amount of sun, lower accommodation cost (rental). Can you comment on those aspects of El Valle?

Yes, I know many Venezuelans here (I would add that I like them all so far) and I am well aware of the unfortunate situation in your country. In general, I will tell you that for highland living (moderate temps) there are only 3 places with good amenities such as you mention. That would be Volcan, Boquete, and El Valle (where I live and my favorite) All 3 are quite livable without a car due to Panama having a decent bus system. Plus taxis are readily available. But rentals can be a little tough to find. It would be easier to find something now, in the rainy season.

No El Valle is a town. There is only a clinic here. There is a small Social Security hospital in San Carlos, 40 minutes away, and a big SS hospital in Penenome is an hour away but I don't hear anything good about that. The private San Fernando clinic is in Coronado which is 45 minutes away and is decent. The closest private, full fledge hospital is in the city which is 2 hours away.

Thanks a lot. I will continue looking into this option. It is not easy for me to make such a big decision, but I need to have a Plan B. Thanks a lot again

Thank you. Also very important and useful to me

All 3 locations are towns. But Boquete and Volcan are less than an hour from the hospital in David, but I know nothing of it's reputation. But of the 2, Volcan has less of a gringo arrogant presence and it's less expensive.

Good luck.

Jon
www.butterflyhavenpanama.com

Thank you. I have been checking Volcan and El Valle and I think they are too much of countryside for me. There is an area called Condado del Rey, it seems it is a suburb in PC, but I cannot find what type of temperature they have. Could you help me? I have also checked David and it seems to be pretty hot. Thanks a lot for any help you can provide.

Candado del Rey is near El Dorado and is going to be hot. David is very hot.

In Panama, the are no highland cities. There is a gated community north of the city called Cerro Azul that is beautiful and cool but it's 20 minutes from most any amenities. And maybe an hour from a hospital. Google it. It does have it's downsides...

yes, thank you for your insights.