Cost of living in Mauritius

Hello, can some one answer my question about insurance cost please.

For my house hold things and car will US$ 100 be enough each month?

Hello Julian,
I would love to get in touch with u can you give me your email add please
thnks

Hi there

what is the average salary for a full time or part time maid/nanny?

your comments are always appreciated :)

Talitha wrote:

Hi there

what is the average salary for a full time or part time maid/nanny?

your comments are always appreciated :)

Hi Talitha

I think it would be a good idea if you started a new thread on this. Perhaps you could call it Maid's Pay, or something like that.
Just a suggestion.

wow mauritius is getting expensive to live in these days.

Hello,

I will relocate to Mauritius in a few months. I am self-employed and I will be without health insurance when I leave Germany. So I am looking for a cheap solution. About the costs of international health insurance Julien wrote: 130 EUR. Please can you give me some information about this.

I would like to send a mail to Julien who named this price, but I am new here and I am not allowed to send mails as much I want so I take this way.

Many thanks for your help.
Silvia

Hi,

kokooli wrote:

Hello,

I will relocate to Mauritius in a few months. I am self-employed and I will be without health insurance when I leave Germany. So I am looking for a cheap solution. About the costs of international health insurance Julien wrote: 130 EUR. Please can you give me some information about this.

As you wrote 'intl. health insurance' is about that price. But you can get a local health insurance as well. The fees are lower and it is for the Mauritian market.

Regards, JoKi

hello kokooli yes you can contact cim life insurance or sun insurance with an interesting package they have)

Hi,

I am from India. I got offer from mauritius company @ ebene, cybercity. I want to know living expense at this place like rent for 2 bhk fully furnished flat, food expense, transport & all. I heard there is high crime rate in mauritius , is it true ? please let me know so i can take decision based on that .

Saurin Shah

Hi there

If my partner and I earn between us both 60000MUR - would that be enough to start with?

Thanks for your help
Rajesh

Is there any scope for female homeopathy doctor in Mauritius?

How much do private schools cost?

What is the exchange rate between MUR -indian rupee. Is it 100 -182?

Hi all,

M from india abad.

Currently working at airport in airline in Abad.
M planning to move to mauritius on occupation permit & willing to do job there.
pls advise me if u have any information abt opportunities for my field.
and cost of living too..

Thanks....
samarth

Difficult get work permit without having job offer. First try to get job than wp.

Hi Everyone

I've been living in Mauritius for 4 years now and I love it here.
My parents are thinking of moving here, so I prepared a little excel sheet for them.

Maybe you will find it helpful:

websites with info:
Personal tax ;
site with all info for permits
Cost of living site

Medical aid -     about Rs6000 per month plus a yearly renewal fee

car insurance -    Rs15000 - Rs 20 000 per month

monthly petrol - 3x One tank = Rs 2000 = about 450km (island is small)

monthly living - We spoil our selves and even with nappies etc, we spend about Rs6000 a week on shopping. (over-estimating)

RES/IRS - You get immediate citizenship if you buy a property with a value exceeding 500 000 USD.

rent/buy property - look on l'express property
NOTE: foreigners only have the rights to buy apartments/RES/IRS,

taxes -    Personal taxes

retirement village - New one: 'Jardin de Chantenay' : Their website
    studio: Rs 2 850 000
    apartment (1 bedroom): Rs 5 060 000
    apartment (2 bedrooms): Rs 6 370 000
    Services included: security, controlled access, a restaurant, private dining hall, gym, library, chapel, television room, play room for visiting kids, infirmary

work permit   

Occupation Permits
An occupation permit allows a non-national to reside and work in Mauritius. It is both a work and residence permit. An investor, a professional or a self-employed person may be eligible under the following conditions:

Investor: The business activity should generate a turnover exceeding MRU 4 million annually with an initial investment of USD100,000 or its equivalent in freely convertible foreign currency. If there is more than one investor in the same company applying for an Occupation Permit, the turnover criteria should apply in respect of each applicant (i.e MRU 8 million for two applicants, MRU 12 million for three applicants, and so on)

Professional: Basic salary should exceed MRU 45,000 monthly. However, the basic salary for the category Professional in the ICT Sector should exceed MRU 30, 000 monthly.

Self-employed: Income from the business activity should exceed MRU 600,000 (R 170 000) annually (R 14 200 per month) with an initial investment of USD 35,000 or its equivalent (R303 000) in freely convertible foreign currency.

The dependents of an occupation permit holder may also apply for residence permits.
"
retirement permit   
Website
    To be eligible for a residence permit for retired non-citizen, the applicant must be 50 years of age or above and must undertake to transfer to his/her local bank account in Mauritius at least 40,000 US dollars annually or its equivalent in any convertible currency.
    A holder of a residence permit for retired non-citizen is not allowed to work in Mauritius
french lessons    Online or one on one - about Rs10 000 - Rs 15 000

containers for moving    When I moved (2008) my stuff it cost about R8000, so now it would be more expensive and it depending on what you decide to bring over

plane tickets to visit SA - Rs25 000 - Rs30 000 per person

restaurants - You can really spoil yourselves at a great restaurant for 2 for about Rs 5000 (fine dining).

Hope this helps!

Please note that these are not exact prices and I may not be held liable for any actions/interpretations based on the information provided.

LeighMc wrote:

RES/IRS - You get immediate citizenship if you buy a property with a value exceeding 500 000 USD.

I believe you are confusing permanent residency ( an oxymoron since your permit is nullified  should you sell your IRS)  with citizenship .

You have to apply for a permanent resident permit ( sic- good for only 10 yrs but so far not many lucky residents)  should you purchase a RES.

Hi guys,

It might have been mentioned in the forum before.

But what kind of car can you have for Rs15,000 per month?

I mean Type and Age of car.

Cheers

Hi everyone

i am a UK Resident living in Malaysia and working in Singapore.
Recently an opportunity has come about in Mauritius. Hence I was wondering what it would be like to live and work there and what is cost of living like. Are cars expensive or is it better to rent? any info would be much appreaciated thanks

Mashboy

Well - quite interesting the quotes of living costs. I am living since 14 yrs here and seems to me I am living in another world! I did not notice that Mauritius has become that expensive.

But I guess each of you has to express as well what kind of lifestyle he/she wants. If you wish to maintain your expectations based on european standards you will have to pay heavily for this! If you're willing ( and able ) to adapt to local standards you can come down in your costs of living to any level.

Just some samples. Yes - new cars are kind of expensive here, but there is as well new cars ( small one's but brand new ) available for 350,000 Rs incl. all taxes just insurance you have to pay additional. If you decide to run first a second hand car you can have already much cheaper, even below 100,000 Rs. And most of them are still in an astonishing good condition. You might get as well for 30,000 Rs - that's then quite an old one but maybe still ok. One of my first cars here was an old Mini Moke ( something like a buggy ) which bought at that time ( 12 yrs ago ) for 40,000 and guess what - it was doing it's job fine.

Car insurance for 20,000 Rs per month?? Well - must be that we are playing in a different world again. I am paying for my ( brandnew ) car
just 8,000 rs per year!!!! Comprehensive Cover !! But it's of course a new but decent car, not a Mercedes, Jaguar or whatever. Well - if you have the money for that - no problem. But I assume we do not all have that endless financial resources. And besides - I am not poor but I do not want to waste my money for nothing. Speed limit is anyway max. 110 km and I rarely find a time to go that fast. I am almost stucked in traffic jams. LOL

Health Insurance. OK - that's of course a personal decision and depends on several issues. From Germany I am used to be insured and covered but when I came here I learned that health service is for free. There are private doctors and hospitals ( clinics ) you have to pay for. |Well I was and I still am of good health and I opted NOT to pay for any additional insurance and instead to enjoy the free health service. Up to now I did not regret. I was in 14 years once admitted to a hospital for a week. Hmmm - it was a bit unusual that I had to stay in a room with 15 other patients. That's surely not european standard. On the other hand it did not really disturb me, because at first I was fully busy with my own health problem and mostly sleeping. When things came better I enjoyed being able to talk to some people around. The care from doctors and nursing staff was acceptable and I did from the beginning my best to cope with the typical conditions and surroundings and maintain a good interaction with this people. Only one complaint - the toilets were unbelivable. Definitely a minus point. If ever in this 14 years I had the impression I want to talk to a private doctor and not to one in a hospital with staff and other patients around I did so and paid a consulation fee between 175 and 500 Rs. Was rarely and happend maybe once per year. I guess I saved a lot on health insurance in this 14 years and I am still alive - I can assure you. The problem for what I was in hospital was by the way perfectly cured by them.

Housing - ok - you can get appartments as from Rs 3,000 or Rs 5,000 ( furnished ) - basic equipment but all you need to live. A house might be as from 8,000 or 12,500 ( furnished ). There is absolutely NO limit upwards, means you can get much much and extremely much more expensive. Depends where and what you're expecting.

Alimentation is surely kind of expensive in Mauritius and the more you insist here as well on food you are used to, the more you might spend on that. But you can make a living as well clearly below 6,000 a week!

Well - if anyone has a question regarding this topic - I will surely answer.

Michael

English school fees can range from Rs 5,000 to Rs 12,000

Hi All i am Mark and our company has given the option of moving to Mauritius to work in the branch over there.

I have done a fair bit of reading and we are at the 80% yes mark but my question is based on earnings.
Our family is my wife 3 kids and myself.
all 3 kids are at school going ages.
would a salary of about 130 000 Mur p/m allow for a decent living style with a family of 5.

I think it should be enough.

Will you please tell me the average cost of living in mauritius for a student?????

hi i am indian.....i offered job in mauritius... sallery is 15000 MUR and they will give acccomdation and food.....it is enough for me...please any one tel me..

(Moderated: off topic + post in the Jobs section)

What is the cost of living in reduit?

Hello Moderator. Just joined. (thanks for having me).

Perhaps it would be helpful to un-sticky this thread, and start a new sticky thread the same way this one started?
Certainly there are some significant differences in the costs and requirements of living in Mauritius at every level since this first became a thread in 2008.
It might (selfishly) help newbies find what they are looking for in relevant terms.

Hi,i want to know what is the cost buying 2 or 3 BHK flat in MAURITIUS and what are the living expenses.Thank in advance

numbeo.com  this website gives cost of living for many places in the world.

HI CAN U PLAESE TELL ME WHAT IS THE COST OF BUYING 2 OR 3 BHK FLAT IN MAURITIUS AND WHAT ARE MONTHLY EXPENSES.THANKS

Hello

It is good to have something in common.

Thank you

@deepak1984 > can you please lower your caps lock on the forum?? Thank you.

Why don't you start a new topic on the Mauritius forum for better visibility?

[Moderated: Off topic]

spit_04 wrote:

Hi,

I am from India. I got offer from mauritius company @ ebene, cybercity. I want to know living expense at this place like rent for 2 bhk fully furnished flat, food expense, transport & all. I heard there is high crime rate in mauritius , is it true ? please let me know so i can take decision based on that .

Saurin Shah

Hi Saurin,

Did you join the job and finally you have settled there. What about the rentals and other daily expenses. Do you find it costly?

Thanks
Saurabh

Hi Saurabh,

Please note that this thread is dated 2008. Feel free to start a new topic on the Mauritius Forum :)

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

sure will start a new one.
any idea if I wish to quote posts from old thread....like as I wanted to ask Saurin.
How can I do in new thread.

Thanks
Saurabh

I would agree, in the north there is life. Black river is great also, but nothing is open past 7pm.

Gran Baie and surrounding areas are the best options!

The costs of buying a flat vary drastically depending on where you want to move. I recommend going on sites like real-estate-mauritius.com, and be specific on your requirements.

Hi all.
I will move to Mauritius by end September,
With my 2 kids and husband.
Wanted to find out about the cost for a 3 bedroom
Apartment in port Louis. And also the average monthly
Spending. I can see what is here is dated 2008.
So someone help please with current values.

Thanks

Hi AnitaT,

Please feel free read some topic on the Cost of living in Mauritius forum, this might be helpful. :)

Thank you,

David.

AnitaT

Try www.numbeo.com