Schools in Izmir

Hello there,

We are a Turkish family living in Canada and are planning to move to Izmir in June 2016. Our son will be finishing Grade 3 next winter, and will start Grade 4 there. I am not sure whether I should send him to one of the private schools that Turkish kids go, or to an international school... The only international school I have found so far is MEF, and it seems to be way too expensive. Are there any other international schools that anyone can recommend? Also,  would anyone be able to advise which type of school we should choose (international or regular private)? He does speak Turkish and is able to read&write in Turkish (though not very good), however that's about it. I am not sure whether he will be able to catch up on all the other topics like social studies, etc. with the other kids.They are also using handwriting there I guess, which he has not learnt!

Thank you!

Hi EbruCanada, we live in Australia and planing to  move to Izmir next year and looking  the primary schools in Izmir and not quite sure about public or privet , and it has been 2 years since you posted here and would like hear your experience , so what happened

We lived in Istanbul from 2012-2015 and our boys attended BISI. Our eldest son's birthday in in October so he was held back a year because BISI's school cut off was September 1. Now we are heading to Izmir and our eldest son is starting senior high school, in Canada that is grade 10,11 and 12. (Year 11,12,13) I am worried that he will be held back because of his birthday and have to repeat grade 9 (year 10). If he has to repeat a year he will not be able to graduate from MEF and this will throw his schooling off.

Does anyone know the cut off date for admission and if the school can be flexible?

Hello,
hope  you are doing well, and hope you took the correct decision for your family , I saw your message, and it is almost same our situation, we are Lebanese,living in Dubai since more than 10 years, my son will be in grade 1 in 2018 and he speaks only English,as you said I only found MEF as international school and the fees are really high,if you please could share with me any useful Information from yours, I will be appreciating
Thank you
Tania

Are you moving to Izmir Tania? I am not there yet. But from what I have learned MEF is the only International school. There are other private Turkish schools that teach some of their lessons in English. St Jospeh perhaps?

Hi all,

we are planning to move to Izmir with two kids in primary and middle school, finding school seems to be a nightmare,  i found this school http://www.mevkoleji.k12.tr
can someone tell if this school provide a full english program.?
thanks