Love at first sight

Yes, It was love at first sight when I came on a business trip to Kenya from UAE in 2010. Having lived in a man-
made concrete city on a desert where temperatures can soar to 45 degrees, it was a welcome change. It was a peak summer period too in UAE and the unexpected onrush of greenery was breathtaking.
I too am a witness to many exotic, beautiful and majestic trees being logged down to construct new hotels, roads, office complexes & universities. There are still small green pastures left in parts of the city and big hopes for the green enthusiasts to recover from the loss.

Like every other city, Nairobi has a multicultural society. No matter from which country one is from, you might be lucky enough to find your community and get further tips about where to buy a particular food stuff that you love so much from your place

There is fear over mugging, terror attacks, high level corruption and these are real. Mobiles are snatched away in public places, street urchins demand money at traffic signals threatening to drop faeces in plastic covers in your car if you refuse to pay and having endless rounds of negotiation with cops over traffic violation. Not to mention car-jacking that some of my friends have experienced. If you have not experienced any of this, then you are yet to be said "Welcome to Kenya". But the people are resilient - no matter expats or the residents. Those who love it city have an unfaithful determination to stick no matter what happens. Those who've found these experiences beyond their tolerance, eventually move out.

There are still many places within Kenya that we still haven't explored. Apart from the regular tourist spots like the Masai mara, the Amboseli, Nakuru, Naivasha, Tsavo national park there are places just 100 kms outside Nairobi with such serene beauty. I still need a few more years to visit all these places.

Now I leave it your decision to choose to fall in love at the first sight or let your left brain do the logical reasoning. No matter what you decide, its still work a visit.

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please note that you are off-topic here. Register in the directory.