What does "You can't have your own cake and eat it to" mean?

i was ironing a shirt a moment ago and suddenly i realized that i didn't really understand what "you can't have your own cake and eat it to" actually means.  i imagined being examined for intelligence and being asked for a practical example relating to that phrase.  i came up with:  if you enjoy the benefits of being single than don't get married, because once you get married you will have to sacrifice those benefits that come with not being married.  do you agree with my interpretation of that popular phrase?

It simply means you cannot have it both ways.  Whatever the both ways is......

I gree with the sentiment, but not the interpretation.   You can't use up something & still retain it.

yes, but in what sense does someone use up something and want to retain it?  why has this saying been around so long?  it must relate to real life issues in order to resonate with people.  when in your life have you wanted to keep something that you were using.  or rather, isn't it kind of obvious that when you use up something it is gone?  why have a saying about it?  i think these sayings are meant to teach people some sort of beneficial lesson.  who doesn't already know that when you eat a jar of peanut butter it is gone?  their must be some deeper meaning to the saying.  something we can relate to.  something in this saying must be helpful.

i'm afraid you missed a critical point: "to" should be spelt "too".

I really need this to be relevant to the Dominican Republic......

why?  why should topics be relevant to the dominican republic?  isn't that being racist?  you people boast about freedoms you enjoy in this country that you don't elsewhere.  if someone decides to answer a non-dominican post why stop them?

now if you wanted to kill my post because the topic is just plain stupid or at best irrelevant i would have a hard time arguing your point.

I really want some of what you are smoking :D:D:D

Try to keep it relevant to the DR.  There are other forums here for general discussions such as this forum:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=58

BobK

i didn't see this reply at the time i answered your last reply. i didn't know there was a general forum for expatriots. besides, i see you guys going off topic much of the time so i thought you didn't want to limit things to just your experiences here.

Ok

Bob K

Geez a bit off topic is one thing - completely and utterly off topic is another. Really  you should think about  how insulting and pissing off the people who  have been here for  years answering questions and helping others is going to help YOU!!!!!

Thanks Bob.

Hi everybody,

We are here on an expatriate website, therefore it is best that the topics which are lunched here are relevant to the particular country.

In addition to it, topics launched should be related to expatriation and here i am afraid that this topic will be not useful for the future expats. :(

@ carlvelas > Please read the forum code of conduct before posting !!

I am closing it straightaway !

Priscilla

[ Topic closed ]

Closed