Can I find a massage table in DR?

I am a massage therapist, and have been for 8 years. We will be moving to the DR for a year to start. I won't be able to bring my table this time, but I was hoping to buy one there!! Does anyone know if this is possible? Where I might purchase one? Or should I pay the $75.00 to bring a third checked bag and just bring it with me? Any suggestions?

It certainly will be more than $75 but they have them many  times at La Sirena in Puerto Plata.  I have also seen them in Price Mart in Santiago.

OH and welcome to the forum

Bob K

Pricemart has them right now, price was  14,000 RD or about US 300.  I think that luggage fee might be a good idea.

Hi Toribird, I suggest you bring it.  If you are a therapist then your table is probably suited for you.  The tables you find here may not be the quality you are looking for.  I brought my own table and my therapist here went to the US to buy a new one and ship it here.  She couldn't find a decent one here and she is Dominican.

Thank you all so much!! Great advice. It will be a pain, (taxi, bus taxi) but I think it will be worth it too.
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Also, have you checked about shipping?  My shipping company charged me $60 Canadian for door to door and if you only stay for a year you can probably sell your table in DR before you go back home and get enough money to buy a new one when you go back!

Shipping is a great idea.  Probably less expensive, certainly easier.

Bob K

Hey there, I'm an esthetician and hairstylist.I'm also interested in moving to the DR next year.I hope we can share info and ideas as we are fortunate enough to be in the same beautiful Industry.I haven't heard much encouraging stuff about working in the DR but I'm remaining hopeful and I'm gonna keep reading and researching

Doing your own thing -  we can encourage that.  Working for someone else will be tough and will pay little.  Do your own thing honey and you have much higher chance of success. 

Too bad you will be on the north coast, I'd be coming to see you.........

Hahaha! I can totally understand the logistics of that!! But, if you or anyone you know has issues with post surgery care, or spinal injuries...knee issues, sciatica, or p.f. please keep me in mind. That is my specialty. Just FYI, if you are in a bind, shoot me a note and I will make myself available!

DominicanadaMike wrote:

Also, have you checked about shipping?  My shipping company charged me $60 Canadian for door to door and if you only stay for a year you can probably sell your table in DR before you go back home and get enough money to buy a new one when you go back!

That's a great idea. Thanks a lot!

Yes,
I actually saw one brand new at price mart in Santo Domingo 2 weeks ago.  I was thinking of using it for a clinic table.
I don't remember the price, but it was very reasonable

Yes it has already been posted that they are available at the Price Mart stores.

Bob K

Im also a massage therapist (Swedish massage) and I was looking for a massage table; La Sirena couldnt tell me when they would be able again, I tried to get it second hand couldnt either; they might ship them over here there is one company which my mum told me about, i already used it searching through Amazon for an orthopedic pillow, and they shipped it to me in a week; now, i know Amazon has massage tables for 100$ +, i just need to ask the company if they can ship such a heavy item and how much would be the extra fee..

They have them at Price Mart in Santiago.

Bob K

An excellent example of the benefit of perusing the available threads by topic. It saves you time & the time of others. Good luck with your search.