ADVETI or ADEC? Please advise!

Hi guys!

I have read a lot of threads here and I am getting scared of teaching in the UAE. I am a teacher in Canada with 10 years of experience as a high school Math/Comp Sci teacher.

From what I have read, ADEC pays the best and has the best working conditions. However, they do not have positions for high school Math or Computer Science teachers :/ If I were to apply, I doubt they would hire me because all my experience is in high school.

As for ADVETI, all I hear is horror stories. They pay less, they bounce you from school to school and they work you like crazy. The only perk I have seen is that they let you keep your housing allowance. Is that even true?

I don't know what to do. Can anybody with actual experience in ADEC or ADVETI please advise?

Thanks!

Shaz

Hi Shaz

If you are single then Adveti pay you more as they give you a generous housing allowance, whereas ADEC give you housing accommodation.  e.g. If you decide to save your money and live in a studio you will save a lot more than you would at ADEC even though the salary is more:  eg 15,000 salary at ADEC plus free housing vs 12,500 odd at Advteti plus 9,000 odd housing.  A studio rents at approx 25 - 32,000 per year.  Do the maths..  you are about better off a month at Adveti, right?   That is if you decide to live cheaply.  Some people like to live it up and rent out an expensive flat in say Al Reem island at 90,000 dirhams a year and then go home broke...  your life, your choice.  Depends why you want to come here.

Regarding working conditions - I heard that ADEC used to have longer holidays than Adveti, but I believe that now they have the same holidays.

I am confused when you say you can't get a job because you are a high school teacher, at ADEC, because they teach high school.  Adveti teach adults, but high school teachers are welcome.

I understand that VEDC bounce people around.but if you worked at VEDC you might be happy to be bounced around... ;)

Regarding hard work - I think nor more than anywhere else in the world particularly..

Thank you so much for answering :)

Is there any way to request that you be placed close to Abu Dhabi? Or do they place you wherever they like?

Hi Shaz

They place you wherever they like, but no harm in asking...

I would like to advise you to google both of them and check them from different social media.  Really Comments will be available though most people only comment when they have a problem.

Secondly, i believe its better to work in Canada than in UAE.  The pay may seem good but standard of living is high here.  Also there are a lot of unemployed locals whom the government is trying to get jobs.  Most of the good jobs are going for local.  If you are okay where you are? Better be happy there.

I am a Canadian teacher, but I work in private school and they pay less than half what they pay in public. Hard to get in the public. I am thinking to come to abu dhabi.
Is ADEC a good choice? In your opinion, do they offer any free education for your kids, since I have two boys. How about the houses? Are they  big enough for a family of 4?

Hi

Best to contact ADEC and ask them... or ask any agency that advertise jobs for them.

This place is not run like you would expect in the west.  Anti-depressants might help..

Thank you for replying!

Hi

Sorry can't be more specific.   It's against the law.