Pitbulls

I have read that there is a ban on pitbull dogs and pit bull mixes and similiar. How strict are the rules? I have a black lab/pitbull/boxer mix. He basically looks like a more compact black lab and everyone asks me what he is mixed with and when i say pitbull they tend to say "oh yeah that is what I was thinking". So, it's kinda obvious and kinda not that he has pitbull in him. If i make something else up, would authorities still try to claim he is a pitbull? There is no way to prove what he actually is. He was a rescue dog and it's all just guessing. His mom looks like a pitbull/boxer mix.. but all her puppies came out black or chocolate, looking more like labs..so we figure his father was a lab. I could probably just claim he is a lab/boxer mix and no one would think anything of it.

In Puerto Rico that is a Sato, mix breed dog. Unless it has visual characteristics of Pitbull I do not believe they will care. It is a mixed breed dog. Write Sato. Nobody is going to do a DNA test.

ReyP wrote:

In Puerto Rico that is a Sato, mix breed dog. Unless it has visual characteristics of Pitbull I do not believe they will care. It is a mixed breed dog. Write Sato. Nobody is going to do a DNA test.

Perfect!!

Yup! That's a SATO!!!  :lol:

purplesugar wrote:
ReyP wrote:

Perfect!!

Puerto Ricans have some PitBull in them, that is why we have a bad temper sometimes.
Unless the dog has some of the markings or tend to have some of the behaviour trades I would not worry. I had 3 dogs a long time ago that were mixed with PitBull and they loved us and each other but sometimes  something would get into them and they would start a fight with each other to the death. We had to put all 3 to sleep after a major fight were they did horrible damage to each other and some nasty cuts on us for trying to separate them. I have a 3 inch scar on one of my arms where the byte tore deep into my arm but I got them apart.

If your have those tendencies get rid of the dog, it is a liability, if not, then it is a perfect pet.

That's why we stick with chiguaguas! Or as more recognized name....taco bells!!!  :lol:

ReyP wrote:

Unless the dog has some of the markings or tend to have some of the behaviour trades I would not worry. I had 3 dogs a long time ago that were mixed with PitBull and they loved us and each other but sometimes  something would get into them and they would start a fight with each other to the death. We had to put all 3 to sleep after a major fight were they did horrible damage to each other and some nasty cuts on us for trying to separate them. I have a 3 inch scar on one of my arms where the byte tore deep into my arm but I got them apart.

If your have those tendencies get rid of the dog, it is a liability, if not, then it is a perfect pet.

Oh no - he is perfect. He loves every person and animal that he meets. His issue is that he tends to be a bit overexcited. He just loves everybody and everything so much! He has never once in his life showed a bit of aggression. He is actually a huge baby. He is extremely sensitive to anyone even raising their voice in his presence..he departs and tries to avoid any conflicts.

adlin20 wrote:

That's why we stick with chiguaguas! Or as more recognized name....taco bells!!!  :lol:

chihuahuas?

Puertorican lingo..... :D

i have seen dogs that have some pit bull characteristics here in PR.  There are  many mixed breed dogs here and  no one questions their ancestry.

purplesugar wrote:
ReyP wrote:

Oh no - he is perfect. He loves every person and animal that he meets. His issue is that he tends to be a bit overexcited. He just loves everybody and everything so much! He has never once in his life showed a bit of aggression. He is actually a huge baby. He is extremely sensitive to anyone even raising their voice in his presence..he departs and tries to avoid any conflicts.

Sounds like the only problem you may run into is the dog licking somebody to death. Bring it in, me love mix breed dogs, they have less health issues since they have more diversity in their blood than the pure breeds that have a lot of inbreding which accentuates their DNA issues.

Just came back from the veterinarian and asked him about pit bulls.  There is no ban in Puerto Rico.

frogrock wrote:

Just came back from the veterinarian and asked him about pit bulls.  There is no ban in Puerto Rico.

I've read online on various websites that they were banned. Perhaps the ban was overturned. None of the websites were current or reputable.

I hear that. My neighbor had 2 pitbulls. They were untrustworthy by running away and never being able to find their way home,  and had to be kept tied. They seemd friendly enough, but one of them, like you said,  would just "go off". This dog  was quite psychotic. Myself, I would not trust a pitbull around kids. Just my opinion :)

adlin20 wrote:

Hey associating chiguaguas to Taco Bell gives chiguaguas a bad reputation.

True!!  :lol:

Pitbulls are no longer prohibited to be transported to Puerto Rico. Governor signed the new law.

Those of you that could not come because of your dog, are now in the clear.