How inexpensively can I live?

Hi All,

I am a 47 year old African American male living in Atlanta, GA and will be visiting Ghana next month for about 30 days. I will be marrying a Ghanaian lady soon. I am considering moving to Ghana for a few years. However, I've studied the cost of living in Accra and I see it's expensive. I own an online eCommerce company and will be able to bring in about $2000 USD per month. Perhaps I will start a business in Ghana at some point, but I don't want to bank on that. The western luxuries aren't that important to me, but I do value a healthy diet and fast Internet access.

1. I don't require fancy, but I do want to feel safe and I need air conditioning. :-) I see homes for rent outside of the city, but still in metro Accra and some in places like the Ashanti region for $300 per month. They appear nice. What is the catch?
2. Being able to have high-speed Internet access (10 megabits per second or faster) is important to me. Is this possible outside out metro Accra area? I realize most ISP's there charge for bandwidth usage, but I'm really more concerned about the speed. For example, can you stream a YouTube video?
3. I'm not concerned with eating out, but I do prefer to eat healthy. This means virtually no red meat (perhaps once per month), a bit more poultry (perhaps once per week), and fish (perhaps 2 - 3 times per week). Most of my diet is fresh fruits, vegetables and whole grains and raw nuts. I enjoy juicing raw fruits and vegetables and I'm concerned with typhoid being an issue with doing this in Ghana and of course the cost of this. Can I acquire fresh fruits (mainly blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, pineapple, avocados, and dates)   and vegetables (including green leafy vegetables such as kale, spinach, and collard greens)  at a reasonable price? I often purchase organic in the states, but I assume they use less pesticides in Ghana. How about almond milk?
4. I do a lot of herbs and supplements i.e. garlic, turmeric, fennel seeds, fenugreek seeds, ginger, ceylon cinnamon, basil, spirulina, licorice root, artemisinin, milk thistle, peppermint oil, probiotics, colloidal silver, cinchona bark, chia seeds, flax seeds, echineaca, goldenseal, artemisia annua, etc. Some of these are for my anticipated trip to Africa to combat malaria, typhoid, yellow fever, etc. Can I acquire these and other herbs and supplements in Ghana at a reasonable price? I dislike vaccines and medications.
5. I'm fine with taking a trotro so long as it gets me from point A to point B. So, I don't plan on getting a vehicle.
6. I'm not a big fan of TV as I prefer to read a book.
7. I'm not too concerned about health care. I don't have any bad habits, I really don't get sick except for the seasonal cold and I've been to the doctor once in the past 10 years for a check-up. I prefer preventive maintenance.

Hopefully someone could reply to my long post. :-)

Thanks,
Eric

I will try and answer your questions:
1. The further away from central Accra you are the cheaper accommodation is so you will get places for $300 and that is fine if you are self-sufficient and have a bore hole and maybe a generator.
2. Most people complain about speed of internet. In Accra you can get Surfline but not outside.
3. The fruits you mention can be bought here but they are very expensive and not always very fresh but you can get bananas pineapples and pawpaws very cheaply and mangoes in season. Avacados are also available. Local greens can be a good substitute for those you mention. Also if you look at local markets you will find a lot of local substitutes that are healthy.
4. If you search you might find some of these things but I suggest you bring enough to last say 3 months so that you can track them down in Accra or find substitutes. You will have to have a yellow fever injection as you need proof of it either to get into the country or to go to other places if you have been in Ghana. As long as you are not bitten, you won't get malaria so you need an effective repellent and a good mosquito net.
If you find cheap accommodation and live simply, eating mostly local food, and travel by trotro you will easily live on $2000 however it will be very different if you marry as there will be a lot of expectations and an extended family.
I'm sure you will enjoy your life here

Thanks for your thorough response. It is very helpful. I am excited about my first visit to Africa.

I hit upon this site by accident, but find it may be quite informative for my current situation.  Living in Accra is expensive.  If you plan to rent, you should know that for most rental apartments (and houses) the landlords ask you to pay one and two years rent in advance.  It is not like in the states where you pay rent monthly.

You will be able to live nicely (not extravagantly) with $2,000 per month, if it is guaranteed income. 

If you need air conditioning, you must figure on purchasing a good generator.  And know your largest expense will be your monthly electric bill.

Life in Ghana is not easy for most residents, but we learn to survive, if our reason is strong enough.
Ghana is a wonderful experience for someone seeking to expand their experience of the world.  It is amazing to explore when you are in love with your guide.

Good Luck.

Nora

Thanks Nora. Yes, I am discovering that Accra is quite expensive. I will see what happens when I visit next month.

Regards,
Eric