Horseradish?

Does anyone have a good Filipino translation for horseradish? Google translate gave me Malunggay but when I asked my neighbor if she knew it she said she knew what malunggay was but that it was not hot or spicy.

As well, if you do know it do you also know if I can find it fresh here in the markets?

I think you're talking about horseradish root. It is grated or ground and used for
seasoning. And yes, it is spicy. Don't know where to find horseradish though

Yes, thank you, I meant horseradish root. Though I haven't seen prepared horseradish either.

Horseradish? I think its LABANOS in Filipino. Its like the size of a carrot and white in color. 😁

And you can find it in the local market. Just say labanos. It is usually an added ingredients in preparing "Sinigang"

I think that is a daikon radish you're talking about, what my supermarket calls 'native' radish, but I'll try labanos and see where it gets me. Thanks!

Labanos is daikon radish. I don't know if there even is a Tagalog term for horseradish. Try looking for the item in the produce section. If you're not the one shopping, show a picture to the person who will be buying for you.

Yeah. I think that's the best thing to do. Haha. I didn't even know that it was different from what I know. Thanks for that. Hahah. 😁😊.

Thanks for the comments! I will keep looking. It is for a sauce I want to make for a beef 'sanwits' I am making.

Do the sell Heinz Horseradish sauce near you ?

It has been seen in Boracay, Subic and I think I saw it in Marquee Mall (near Clark).

Have you tried SM ?   Look in the Tesco aisles in SM now, all the British stuff is there :).

I've seen it in Olongapo City and Subic at the duty free market where they have lots of American and western products and prices listed in both Dollars and Pesos. I shopped there often when I was in Bataan.

Hi !

Horseradish translated in Pilipino / Tagalog is "LABANOS". It's widely cultivated in the Philippines
and it is available in markets / supermarkets in the metro and in the provinces.

Hope this would help.
Marinella

marinella.prestige wrote:

Hi !

Horseradish translated in Pilipino / Tagalog is "LABANOS". It's widely cultivated in the Philippines
and it is available in markets / supermarkets in the metro and in the provinces.

Hope this would help.
Marinella

When you search for Labanos, you get images of Radish.
Labanos
https://tl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labanos
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0c/Radish_3371103037_4ab07db0bf_o.jpg/250px-Radish_3371103037_4ab07db0bf_o.jpg
Horseradish
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horseradish
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/ca/Kren_Verkauf.jpg/220px-Kren_Verkauf.jpg

you cannot find horseradish here. filipino are not familiar with this vegies. if you have friend in hk maybe you can ask them to buy for u. as an alternative try gabi or taro.

horseradish is different from daikon radish.

horseradish is a root similar to gabi or taro. you need to be careful when you clean because it will cause itchiness same as gabi.

Hello everyone,

I am sorry but I do not agree that horseradish is not available in the Philippnes much more unpopular to Filipinos. On the contrary, horseradish is available  in the local and community markets (big or small ) and supermarkets around the metropolis and even in the nearby provinces and is very popular to Filipinos. As a matter of fact, it is a common ingredient in a popular Filipino dish called Sinigang. 

If I am to compare a horseradish from gabi or taro root crop, the texture is way different. Horseradish or labanos in Tagalog/Pilipino is crispier than taro even when cooked.  Although both vegetables (horseradish (labanos) and taro (gabi) are two (2) ingredients in a popular Filipino soup dish called Sinigang ( a hot & sour clear broth/soup)  similar to Tom Yum of the Thais. Sinigang  which can have pork, fish or shrimp as the main ingredient of the soup with vegetables.

I hope that this clarifies the description of horseradish or labanos in Pilipino or Tagalog.

Thank you for your time.

marinella.prestige wrote:

Hello everyone,

I am sorry but I do not agree that horseradish is not available in the Philippnes much more unpopular to Filipinos.

But is not the Horseradish in question, is it.

Can you find this Horseradish in the Philippines?
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/ca/Kren_Verkauf.jpg/220px-Kren_Verkauf.jpg

This is one problem with different languages, each country may have the same word, but for a different thing.

eh di wow.. let them look fo horseradish.. i been living in ph for 30 years and i've never known horseradish in my vocabulary until i left this island...

Horseradish is similar to wasabi, which is common in the Phils

Hi, i'm a Filipino and I searched for an answer for this. xxx

You can check the article here: pinoyfoodies.com/white-wasabi-di-ko-masabi/
Nancy also did an experiment and checked the malunggay roots herself :)

Hope this helps! :)

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : No duplicate content on the forum please.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Shaira,

Agree with you.. I've known horseradish for a long time but it is malunggay in our language.. Yes, the taste of branch just so above the root of malunggay seems to be like wasabi.. A bit spicy. But only seldom people do sell the branch or root.. Because we are used to leaves only which is the malunggay leaf..

Good luck to your searching!!!

I didn't even know that horseradish is a native of the Philippines.   And I lived there for about 17 years.   Horseradish (armoracia rusticana) is indeed a radish...belonging to the family Brassicaceae...to which other more commonly known radishes found in the Philippines and elsewhere belong to...scientifically known as raphanus sativus (white radish (also commonly known as daikon in Japan),  and the round white and purple and red varieties) ....from which the Spanish rabanos came from...and the Tagalog word labanos.   So what is the Tagalog translation for horseradish?  Beats me!  As I said, I didn't know they had them in the Philippines.  Maybe now they grow them there.   Is it "malunggay"? I don't think so.   Malunggay is a tree whose very small, flat, round leaves can be used as vegetable.  And it is not hot.  Nor is it related to the family of radishes.  Great with munggo or chicken tinola.   I looked it up in the Tagalog-English dictionary...didn't find it listed.   For now let's call it labanos na maanghang (hot radish). If someone out there knows the common term in Tagalog (or in any of the dialects spoken in the Philippines) for horseradish, please jump in and help us out.  I'd like to know myself.

@marinella.prestige you're referring to the white radish. That's not horseradish. Actually horseradish isn't even a radish as I only just found out. I know what he's looking for. Horseradish sauce is a very hot traditional sauce people in the UK use like mustard. It doesn't look like the white radish found here. I'm alsso an Englishman living in the Philippines. I just bought some white radish because I haven't seen any for a while.

@petefredbob I'm a Brit living in the Philippines for many years. You can only get the white radish here. It tastes very similar to the red radishes we get in the UK and its not hot. I only just discovered that horseradish isn't actually a radish. I just checked on Lazada and you can either buy horseradish sauce or powder to make your own.

Mulungay is something completely different. It's a tree that's leaves are widely used in cooking or herbal remedies because it has many health benefits.

@Whaleman

Horseradish sauce is a very hot traditional sauce people in the UK use like mustard

Rare scotch Aberdeen Angus without hot horseradish sauce I'm afraid just does not ‘cut' the mustard 😆

I'm looking for shredded horse radish for Bloody Marys &  Bloody Caesars. My stepson is coming in from the UK. Last time he was here the family had several Bloody Mary's. (Him, I and the House Keeper)

There are many types of radishes available in the Philippines by many different names. If I was only in the states, Walmart would have everything I need. (Shredded horse radish, clam juice & cheap Clamato.)

I've been experimenting with both, trying to get the taste right.

So far for Caesars: Absolute Vodka, 7 oz of Clamato a dash of Lea & Perrins. I bought four bottles of Clamato (Expensive P400 each 946ml each)

or Marys: Absolute Vodka, 7 oz of V8 vegetable juice, 1 1/2 tea spoon of Lea & Perrins & a dash of hot sauce.

I've made one drink a day trying to get the taste right.

@Enzyte Bob

7 Oz of vodka per drink.  That explains 1 drink a day.

I'm looking for shredded horse radish for Bloody Marys &  Bloody Caesars. My stepson is coming in from the UK. Last time he was here the family had several Bloody Mary's. (Him, I and the House Keeper)There are many types of radishes available in the Philippines by many different names. If I was only in the states, Walmart would have everything I need. (Shredded horse radish, clam juice & cheap Clamato.)I've been experimenting with both, trying to get the taste right.So far for Caesars: Absolute Vodka, 7 oz of Clamato a dash of Lea & Perrins. I bought four bottles of Clamato (Expensive P400 each 946ml each)or Marys: Absolute Vodka, 7 oz of V8 vegetable juice, 1 1/2 tea spoon of Lea & Perrins & a dash of hot sauce.I've made one drink a day trying to get the taste right.     

Bob just get your stepson to brink a small jar over. All good UK supermarkets stock it. M&S do an excellent hot one. You only need a small amount for you libation 'concotion' so it will last a while. It keeps forever in the refrigerator    -@Enzyte Bob

@Enzyte Bob
7 Oz of vodka per drink.  That explains 1 drink a day.

-@Kampkos104

Bob's recipe calls for 7oz clamato, vodka amount not specified, so it's probably a jigger or 1oz. But that would be a hell of a drink. Back in the early 70's when I tended bar while a student, our bloody Marys were 1 shot house vodka, tomato juice, a dash of salt and tabasco sauce. Serve with a stalk of celery to stir. Bob's recipe with the horseradish would be much better.

Bob, have a look on Shopee or Lazada, they have different brands but not sure if they will suit a cut up Mary.

Cheers, Steve.

To Lotus Eater, danfinn & bigpearl

I should have been looking under Grated Horseradish, not Shredded Horseradish.

With the the good suggestions I have come up empty. I followed the leads for UK and found url's to various stores, but when I searched them could not find any on Tesco, M&S or Shopee.

There were many horseradish sauces, but nothing grated. I will ask my stepson (UK) to look for me, he is bringing me T-Shirts and Boxer Shorts from M&S. Last time he surprised me with them and they were the best quality, better than the states and all the mislabeled crap on Shopee.

He will be arriving this coming Philippine Sunday

To Lotus Eater, danfinn & bigpearl
I should have been looking under Grated Horseradish, not Shredded Horseradish.

With the the good suggestions I have come up empty. I followed the leads for UK and found url's to various stores, but when I searched them could not find any on Tesco, M&S or Shopee.

There were many horseradish sauces, but nothing grated. I will ask my stepson (UK) to look for me, he is bringing me T-Shirts and Boxer Shorts from M&S. Last time he surprised me with them and they were the best quality, better than the states and all the mislabeled crap on Shopee.

He will be arriving this coming Philippine Sunday

-@Enzyte Bob

Have a look online for grated horseradish at Murtons Grocery, Ipswich, UK. They seem to have what you are looking for if your son can get hold of it. Not sure if they deliver and to where but a 115g jar sells for £3.99 and seems to be just the grated horseradish and not a sauce.

Cherryann01 said. . . .Have a look online for grated horseradish at Murtons Grocery, Ipswich, UK. They seem to have what you are looking for if your son can get hold of it. Not sure if they deliver and to where but a 115g jar sells for £3.99 and seems to be just the grated horseradish and not a sauce.

Thanks for the heads up, I googled it and was directed to their FB page. Their page shows it in their photos. I notified my stepson and maybe it will workout.       

@Enzyte Bob

I will ask my stepson (UK) to look for me, he is bringing me Boxer Shorts from M&S.

As with my Amex card Bob I 'never leave home without them' 1f609.svg

Grow your own surely cant be hard to do

google recipe