Is there a VISA for that?

My wife and I would like to move to Thailand with our infant child July of 2016. We are both US Citizens. I currently work for a company based in America, and I would want to keep the job and work remote.  My current company wouldn't sponsor me or anything like that.

My question is, can I do this? Is there a visa for this kind of situation? I've heard of people traveling around Thailand that are bloggers and do freelance work for people outside Thailand.

My goal is to live there, get a drivers license, bank account, and call it home.

It is not clear as you can be under the radar however it was said about digital nomad the following in Chiang Mai :

What if I want to work in Thailand?

If you are working for a Thai company, you will need a non-immigrant (type B) visa and then a work permit in order to work legally.

If you are a ‘digital nomad' running your own business on the internet, the immigration office says you can do this on a tourist visa.

Source : http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/n … explained/

However you will not be able to live 1 year in Thailand with a Tourist Visa.

I have heard also that there is in Chiang Mai a BOI approved company for freelancer, digital nomad, etc.. it is a sort of umbrella company you can use to invoice your customers, however they will take 30% to pay taxes, social security, office expenses etc.. but there are also criterias to apply

pagetrimble wrote:

My wife and I would like to move to Thailand with our infant child July of 2016. We are both US Citizens. I currently work for a company based in America, and I would want to keep the job and work remote.  My current company wouldn't sponsor me or anything like that.

My question is, can I do this? Is there a visa for this kind of situation? I've heard of people traveling around Thailand that are bloggers and do freelance work for people outside Thailand.

My goal is to live there, get a drivers license, bank account, and call it home.

Short answer is NO there is not a visa for the situation you quote in OP.

There are visas available for legitimate work here with the appropriate work permit. There is plenty of info on this site and others on those ways.

Bloggers working under the radar.......you hear some stories, but do you really want to expose yourself, wife and child to possible circumstances?

The only real way to prosper here is to do it legally, which can be expensive, if you are below retirement age(50 for visa purposes).

There are easier destinations in SE Asia.

What easier destinations do you speak of?

pagetrimble wrote:

What easier destinations do you speak of?

Try Cambodia.

student visa.

MaikHH wrote:

student visa.

:unsure
How about giving a little more information please.
That way people can assess what you have posted and make their own evaluations.

No.  Actually the foreigner who works only by computer and Internet is not addressed specifically by Thai immigration law, but because there is no reference, the good assumption is that such a person is illegally working.  And, there is no cure for you because you will not be working for anyone/any company located in Thailand, even a tiny branch office, and thus there is no entity which will get for you a Work Permit.
Too:  if you have no legal visible means of support, you are at least subject to deportation after your tourist permit or visa runs out, or even before if your entry asks for an existing fund you have now.  Life long tourist visas/renewals are likely caught and you are barred from later reentry, maybe for life, or something like 5 yrs.

You can purchase for yourself and wife and baby a Thai Elite Card, see Web, that is expensive but clears you for years, likely renewal forever and does not ask about working or not.  Otherwise, you can start your own biz here, but that is asking for a long uninterrupted waking nightmare of troubles. 

Basically, you all would be living on some kind of edge.

To expand on my answer, a foreigner can become a student by enrolling into a school (usually to learn Thai) which will help him to get the legal permit to stay in Thailand for the duration of his student status, which is reputed to be able to stretch to 2 years and stop.  Sometimes immigration will ask the person to speak Thai to the official after 2 yrs.
It is unusual to try for another student permit (to stay) on another subject, but very unlikely.  In sum, a "student visa" is not a real long-term solution for you.......... and then your wife would also need to do the same.
I guess your infant would be able to stay via his mother's papers, but I do not know.
There are 18 categories, like film producer, which may be able to be justified, but they need legitimate support for such endeavors.  See the many Web sites to get more guesses.

Regardless what a person from Serbia may say, you do not have a long-term solution for your need (except for the Thai Elite Card).  I am surprised that that person will imply you do "illegal methods" such as use "visa runs" forever or to try to make friends with some influential people to get you to "slide by."  You are an adult and can watch yourself for funny stuff.

Very soon there will be a new 6 month tourist visa available. Single entry cost ois 1000bht, multi entry 5000. Its really aimed at making life easier for those who come & go from the kingdom frequently, though might be worth checking out. You would probably need to return in person to your home country to renew, without so doing you would have to visit a neighbouring country and get 60 day visa which is extendable by a further 30 days.

As has been said, working online is rather a grey area. Thai immigration laws have not been updated yet to give any clear ruling on this. However there are indeed thousands who do it, if you keep your head down and don't upset anyone realistically you shouldn't have any problems. On the other hand, Thailand does not like people living permanently in country on back to back tourist visas so this new 6 months visa is somewhat of a contradiction.

Also be aware that to live to a comfortable western standard in Thailand is no longer cheap like it was 10+ years ago.

Thai Elite Visa, if you want to do what you have in mind, moving there permanently that is.

every thing is possible, starting out with an ED vusa, and depends on your age there are several other options. pm me coz i can not answer this here, if ya know what i mean. hihihi
kind regards

Mike

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : Email address removed for your own security

There is only 1 possibility, if you would want to move here permanently with your family, without being employed here, and without having to move back due to visa problems, or problems related to work in your home-country while based here , and that is the Thai Elite Visa, which is valid for 5 years at a time. You are misleading the OP, if you say otherwise, so take a hike.

Dear Expat-Blog members,

I saw many misinformation and wrong guidance in reply to his question.
I dont understand why allow promotion of -ELITE VISA-...which could be a s*** and not related to OP situation and why you  aloud promotion of illegal activities. As working on educational visa.
It is not true that he cannot make working visa and situation is not black and white.. he has many option to settle his family.  There are so many types of visas also... Genuine one, not s***, I provide you a link with official immigration authority translation of immigration law. linkLINK pdf file

The Thailand Elite Card/visa is not a scam, it has been running for many years now. However it IS expensive. OP would probably need a family visa at a cost of one million baht for 5 years. It is out of the reach of many.

StevanDr wrote:

Dear Expat-Blog members,

I saw many misinformation and wrong guidance in reply to his question.
I dont understand why  allow promotion of -ELITE VISA-...which could be a s*** and not related to OP situation and why you  aloud promotion of illegal activities. As working on educational visa.
It is not true that he cannot make working visa and situation is not black and white.. he has many option to settle his family.  There are so many types of visas also... Genuine one, not s***, I provide you a link with official immigration authority translation of immigration law. linkLINK pdf file

Hi
The Police Orders you link to were replaced from 29th August 2014. Thai Visa extensions are now subject to new police(immigration) orders. Prior to August 2014 Police Order 777/2551, 368/2551, 305/2551 and 118/2551 were the regulations that covered the criteria for granting an extension of stay in the Kingdom and the documents required to apply for such extension. For example, information about extensions based on retirement, marriage to a Thai and attending an education course in Thailand can be found in Police Orders.

The new Police(immigration) Order 327/2557 now covers the criteria and conditions for an alien application for a temporary stay in the Kingdom of Thailand. While Police(Immigration)Order 138/2557 now covers supporting documents(required) for consideration of an alien application for a temporary stay in the Kingdom of Thailand.

Anyone who would like to read the current Thai police orders which cover EXTENSIONS of stay in the Kingdom can do so by clicking on the link.

thank you for your update,

although, it hasn't been any change regarding OP situation and case. Also I dont trust ThaiVisa forum information. but doesnt meter, in this "new" information, they added more options for visa seekers, if it is true, then his spouse and child have additional types of visas that they can apply.

you cannot work legally with that kind of visa...also it is highly highly questionable legality of it!

his child should start, he doesnt need!

He is a married person, with child, having stady income and employment. He wants to move and live abroad, while working... this kind of people are called DIGITAL NOMADS, there are plenty of them in Thailand especially in Chiang mai,
I am sure if he was a retired person, you would have plenty of knowledge to advise him about retirement visa.

Thai Elite Card is private for profit organisation, highly questionable legality  and highly expensive. Why would it be only option?? when he can easily do everything legal?

StevanDr wrote:

thank you for your update,

although, it hasn't been any change regarding OP situation and case. Also I dont trust ThaiVisa forum information. but doesnt meter, in this "new" information, they added more options for visa seekers, if it is true, then his spouse and child have additional types of visas that they can apply.

I included the link to Thai Visa since they have a translation of the new Police Orders which are real and came into effect last August. If you have a better one(translation) perhaps you would share it here so we can all look including the OP.

I understand,
I put a link from official web site of Thai immigration, I cannot find a document on their site that is on ThaiVisa forum,
Regulation changed, not all thou,