Relocating to Sofia. Some questions!

Hi all,

Maybe you guys can help me with some questions I have. I'm relocating to Sofia in the coming months with my dog.

Which area would you recommend me based on the following:

Close to city centre. Safe, quiet and with shops around for daily grocery shopping, as I cook daily. Green (parks, etc.) with some water body (river/pond), where my dog can take a swim in hot weather.

How do you think about the situation for dogs in Sofia? I know that there have been issues in the past with wild (stray) dogs. How is this now?

Do you know any reliable moving company?

Do you know a reliable real estate company? I'm looking to rent...

Thanks in advance!

You are probably gonna want to look for a place near "Borisova gradina" that's a nice big park and it's also in the city center. There are ponds there however I don't know if dogs are allowed in. There are no strays that I've seen anywhere in the center. As for a real estate company I used Yavlena, found a really nice apartment in just 3 days and the agent took me to see about 10 places. If you want the contact info message me and I'll send it to you.

Dear all,
I live in Sofia in the city center, but I can tell you for sure that swimming or taking a bath in any public pounds or lakes in Sofia is forbidden by the Sofia Municipality Counsel for dogs and humans as well. So if you are planning a comfortable summer zone for your dog I am sorry to disappoint you. I'm not quite sure for Pancharevo lake, but it is not so close to the city center.
Although there are 2 nice parks  for walking your dog - Borisova gradina  and South park /Yujen park/. Close to those parks is Lozenets district. Which is nice and quiet, also there are a lot of grocery stores and organic shops as well.

Good luck with you home search :) I hope you have a really nice stay in Sofia and Bulgaria. If you need any legal advice you can find me on PM I will be glad to help.

Not very encouraging feedback for my hairy friend, but your help+advise is much appreciated anyway. Thanks a lot!

There's no river or natural lake in Sofia and, like pretty much every other country in the world, they're not going to be at all keen on your dog taking a swim in the fountains etc! As someone else mentioned Pancharevo Lake is not too far away and maybe your dog could swim somewhere there but honestly I can't see it being a convenient place for a dog to get in and out of.

There are still plenty of stray dogs around and I'm very surprised by the poster who said they've never seen any in the city. They're everywhere. Shouldn't really cause any trouble for you though as long as you don't let your dog wander around off a leash. Most of the ones in the city seem pretty calm (and downright dozy in summer). Further out they can be more vicious (I cycle and there's areas I avoid due to the dogs). It's not just the strays, it's also the "guard" dogs that roam around some areas.

Sofia has a lot of supermarkets so being close to food sources shouldn't be an issue. I live in Iztok right on the end of Boris Gradina which would meet your requirements. Next to a massive park, lots of supermarkets (there are 4 within a 10 minute walk of my apartment) and I've never had any feeling of insecurity day or night. Of course normal safety rules apply my (Bulgarian) friend was mugged in the park one night but that could happen anywhere in the world.

DOnt worry about all that...

There are strays. Most strays are more scared of your dog then yours.
Most Bulgarians seem to hate dogs and  if you let him unleashed, expect some harassment and abuse coming your way. Which seems weird to me, as strays are also running free, so why would I leash my very well behaved dog?

About the ponds, DONT let your dog in the ponds in the park. Most of them are very polluted, my dog has had several skin issues due to jumping in the water before I could stop him..
For the food, don't even consider a specific place.. small stores are all over, so you will be able to find fresh food Everywhere..