Nilai International School - Your View Please

Hi all,

I have shortlisted Nilai International School for my son who is in Primary School. Reason for me to shortlist the school is that

1. facilities seem reasonably good
2. the registrar (Mrs Carolina) very professional and could give us confidence after an hour conversation.
3. Small class size - for year 2 that's opening in Sep this year has about 7 students
4. They are taking initiative to help kids with special needs. My son has a mild degree of ADHD and when I openly explain his condition, the registrar seems very welcoming and positive about it.

What hold me back:
1. teachers quality - no way to speak to any due to school break
2. Fee around 27K per year and it will goes up to about 40K for year 11. This is significant higher than few other schools that in my list (Taylor KL/Puchong, UCSI, Tenby, Cempaka).

Appreciate anyone can share if you have/heard of any experience with the school. I try to search in google but didn't manage to find much.

thanks.

Parent,
Alex

Its not worth it. It has a European head teacher but apart from that may be only a couple of others. They have been trying to recruit for the last year and most people find it is far too remote.  Take a look at APIS for something a bit special - Asia Pacific International School.

A school can usually be judged by its surroundings and catchment area. i.e. in an up and coming area the school will attract strong pupils as being the school of choice.

Thanks for reply. Asia Pacific in Ara Damansara near the subang airport right?

Yes, it has a technology approach to learning from what I see. A lot of internationals coming to live in Ara Damansara (good value) are honing in on it as something a bit special. It comes from university roots and opened in 2012 so has ironed out the teething troubles. It does Cambridge curriculum. Its website is not that great though.

noted with thanks. I will make it a point to pay a visit. I'm just curious, what do you do to know so much about the schools here?

I think if a year has a class of only 7 pupils the school is failing.

Hi Alex,
Cempaka isn't cheaper.  Year 1/2 is RM 31,800 per year .... Year 11 is RM 49,500 per year.

Small class sizes is great but 7 is really too few.

Maxelas - you may want to see what UCSI has on offer for your particular child. They have a school in Subang Jaya

http://www.ucsiinternationalschool.edu. … ex.php/en/

and a Child Development Centre in Cheras (open day 1st Sat. in Month)

http://www.ucsicdc.com/index.asp

read from other thread that someone has a strong opinion that UCSI is not a good school. Is it true?

I guess that was Nemodot?  He does not like any school. If you read every posting about schools they are all incredible crap - this should of course be read in the correct context. This is he is a teacher at a school, probably ISKL.  So of course he has a vested interested in downing every other school.  If you like I can try and put you in touch with an English family who have their son at the Subang Jaya school. You could possibly talk to them for some first hand information and opinions. The man is a teacher by profession, so I sincerely doubt he would have put his 6 year old in a terrible school....Go figure... :|

Hi Gravitas, you are right, the APIS website is not brilliant, it doesn't say much.

SamSam123 there is a brochure here, which is quite detailed.

http://www.apis.edu.my/admission/prospectus

Plus the whole of a more comprehensive website seems to be available from the above link.

You planning to move, Sam?

not at the moment.

I looked at all the top prestige and excellent independent schools in England, none of them has any sister school within the nation. Whereas in Malaysia, international school concept is still a fairly new thing but many already have several campuses around the country, in some ways it looks like a franchise business to me.

So far I know...
Cempaka - 4 campuses
Fairview - 5 and 2 more in planning
Taylor's - 2
Tenby - 5 and 1 more in planning
Real - 3
Garden - 2
ELC - 2

British might be reserved but their way of running a school making sure it works well before setting up another might be better in the long run. This is just my personal opinion.