Need some friends in Varna

Ive been in varna a good few weeks now but haven't made any proper  friends yet
help!

How do you like it here?

george000 wrote:

How do you like it here?

I really like Varna  yeah, good weather,beach, bars nightlife. Everything's cheap.. :)
Not as many people speak english as i thought they would though,..

Hello UK Man in Varna :)

Welcome on board!

Please tell us a bit more about yourself, what brought you to Varna? Name, age and what you do in life might be a good way to start friendship on the forum.

Also  I suggest you to subscribe to the Networking in Varna section of the forum. You will be notified whenever there are others seeking for friends too.

Regards
Kenjee

Hi,

I'm not there yet but seriously considering moving shortly.

Are you with a car or without a car? How difficult do you think it is get by without one? I'm thinking I should have one if I am to take full advantage of the beaches. It may be convenient for me to just drive over with my own and then re-register it in BG after registration expires. They're not going to slap a customs fee on me, right since we're both EU?

Also any tips on how to find an apartment quickest? So far I've found bulgarianproperties.com which seems useful at a glance. Do you think it would be a good idea to stay in a hostel first and then fish for places from there, or can I make some kind of contact before I get there already? How did you do it?

Hope to make the move in September and when I do I'd love to grab a beer.

i have the same problem as you. I do not know anyone here in sofia, want to move to varna, do you know how i can find a apartment or room?

reza7 wrote:

i have the same problem as you. I do not know anyone here in sofia, want to move to varna, do you know how i can find a apartment or room?

So far I have addresses of these real estate agents:

http://www.bulgarianproperties.com/ (in English)
http://www.yavlena.com/ (also has an English version)
http://address.bg/

However, I should say I found something interesting on Yavlena but got no reply to my email when I wrote them about it.

You can look for apartment also here: http://olx.bg/
is their page and you can look from owners directly. But is only in bulgarian.

Marko, Burgas is even cheaper and more beautiful than Varna. So I heard. I was only in Varna and we had bad weather :).
I'm also slovenian living here (Plovdiv) so if you need more informations.

To the author of this thread - The UK expat pub in Varna is Sundogs bar, in the centre.
Unfortunately many of the expats are `part time' as they are only there for a few months (summer).
There are still enough around full time, to share a drink with, but being winter, might make most stay indoors.
Anyway -  that is where they meet.

To the person who said Burgas is more beautifiul than Varna - give your head a shake. ;)
Certainly nowhere near as vibrant as Varna.

homebasebulgaria ltd. will help you in any aspect of living in varna - business, accommodation and finding friends. Office is located on str. Mihail Koloni 8 (centre)

Add me on Facebook:

Diana May Moscow  :)

Diana1987 wrote:

Add me on Facebook:

Diana,

We have a PM system here for contacting members.  Please stop posting your contact details on the public forum, this is for your own security and there can be people with malicious intentions reading.  Please also read over the Buglaria Forum Code of Conduct.

Romaniac
Expat-Blog Experts Team

Hey Mate,

I'm an Irish Lad who has moved to Varna a little over a year ago. Moved here with my Bulgarian wife. Finding it fairly hard to find some good lads to meet up and grab some pints with or try organise some outdoor activities.

Anyway if your still about and up for a drink then let me know. Also if you know of any good outdoor activities or clubs run by expats, cycling, Tennis, Rugby etc then do let me know. Thanks

Cheers,
Aaron

Get in Sundogs mate.
That's the drinking hole, where you will find most expats congregate.

English & Irish lads regularly in there (especially in the summer).
They have a good fortnightly outdoor quiz there in the summer months too.

Liverpool fans (UK & local) go to the 3 Lions Bar when LFC are playing, which is about 5 mins walk from Sundogs. A little tricky to find, so do your research if you want to find it.

Im not back for a couple of months or so.
Should be in there myself, then.

Good luck.

I have seen the rugby guys practicing in the sea garden... not sure how many are expats vs. Bulgarians, but I do know that they talk in English on occasion, so there should be some foreigners in the mix. This is the varna rugby club's website: http://varnarugbyen.page.tl/   You should be able to ask them for info about joining.

Hey Mate,

Cheers for the info, Yeah I heard that that's the old drinking spot alright. Only been down twice myself but wanted to full so I reckon I ll just drop down more often ;-) yeah heard about the 3 lions too, I have to drop down and give the a shot too.

Might see you around in these areas whenever you back so

Cheers,
Aaron

Hi Kojidae,

Ahh this sound great. I'll try get in contact with someone from the club and give it a go. Thanks

If you know of any other clubs that foreigners might be involved in then let me know. I know my wife would love us both to get involved. She isn't much of a rugby player ;-)

Cheers,
Aaron

Unfortunately I don't know of any off the top of my head. We are no longer in Varna- moved to Gabrovo a couple of years ago. We just visit my in-laws in Varna every month or so. It doesn't leave lots of time for getting involved there.

https://www.facebook.com/USTREM.CYCLING/   is one of the more popular cycling clubs in varna (for casual cyclists)... not sure about English speaking but I am guessing that there are at least a few.

I know the college kids meet up and play ultimate frisbee in the sea garden, by the twisted tree usually (if you know where that is)- mostly erasmus. So it is a younger crowd but you could join in a game and ask if they know any hiking/cycling clubs. I don't know the exact times, but chances are if you have time to hang out in the sea garden, specifically in the field by the twisted tree, that eventually you will run into them or another sporting club. Tai chi and yoga groups also meet there. There was also an english speaking sailing club for awhile, but I lost touch with them.

If I think of any more or hear of anything I will post it here for you (and others) to find :)

Oh, and I saw on your profile that you are into tech. There is a WordPress meeting once a month. Some of the lectures are in English and it can be a good way to meet English speakers to get info on other events and clubs.

https://www.meetup.com/Varna-WordPress-Meetup/

I agree with Varnarama, Varna is definately nicer on the eye than Burgas. Burgas has it's good points too but as a foreigner who has seen both I feel Varna can accomodate us non- Bulgarian speakers better. I must say whereever you go in Bulgaria the people have been very kind to me.

thanks but now i am in denmark