Music in Peru

Hi,

Music is said to be a universal language. Indeed it helps to discover and better understand the culture of a country.

What are the most popular music genres in Peru? How about traditional music and instruments?

Who are the local artists you would recommend?

Where can you listen to them: are there any concerts or music festival held regularly?

Thank you in advance for participating,

Kenjee

I have always enjoyed a wide range of music and can easily go from a hard rock group like Disturbed or Linkin Park to something completely opposite like Shade or Andrea Bocelli. Here in the Andes I have found that I really enjoy the softer sounds of the flutes, like the Zampoña and Qina and while I don't really have a favorite artist, one that I do like is Tito La Rosa. Here is a link to one of his pieces, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXExGmWZ7LE

When it comes to music festivals I haven't really seen any in the Cusco region, although most festivals here do include Music. One of the largest festivals held here in Huarocondo is the festival of the Virgin del Carmen, this festival starts on July 15th runs to the 20th, and is full of music and dance.