Music in Myanmar

Hi,

Music is said to be a universal language. Indeed it helps to discover and better understand the culture of a country.

What are the most popular music genres in Myanmar? How about traditional music and instruments?

Who are the local artists you would recommend?

Where can you listen to them: are there any concerts or music festival held regularly?

Thank you in advance for participating,

Kenjee

Hi Kenjee,

In my opinion, I think there is no language in music. Anyway, I agree that music is one kind of media that represents the culture and history of a country (both in traditional and contemporary sense). If you listen to the traditional or folk songs, you might be able to have a glance at the history of several centuries ago and if you listen to the contemporary music, you will have a chance to know the current trend.

Concerning with the most popular music genres, Rock and Pop are currently the most popular ones in Myanmar. My recommendation would go to rock singer, Lay Phyu. His latest mp3 album can be found on Youtube.

Regarding the traditional music, there are several types of musical instrument, string, wind, percussion, etc. One of the famous string instruments is called Saung Gauk (or) Harp. You can listen a piece of Traditional Saung playing at this Youtube link: Burmese Harp & Classical Music.

Traditional music band (or) Saing waing playing can be listened in this link: Yay Kin & Byaw Than.

Generally, there are lots of concerts throughout the year. Government holds the Traditional music festival and competition once a year if I am not wrong.

All the best.

Thanks a lot for your valuable input Fiona Hmung, really appreciate it! :top:

https://shrinke.me/GMFj
Listen to this song