Driving in South Korea

Hi,

What do you think of the way people drive in South Korea? How different is it from your home country?

Respecting the road safety rules, driving etiquette such as general courtesy, speed excess… what are the characteristics of the driving style in South Korea?

Share with us the difficulties one may face when driving in South Korea: peak hours, road conditions, accident, etc. and your advice to drive safely in the country.

Thank you in advance for participating,

Maximilien

Hey there,

Already one year passed since I changed my driving license with a korean license and already one year since I started to drive in Korea.
I have driving to almost all places and all kind of roads.
From my experience I can say is not difficult to drive in Korea. About etiquette I am not sure the Koreans know whats especially when driving. The cars you have to pay attention are : taxi, buses and cars who have women drivers!!. Also have to be careful to small motos because they don't respect the rules and I have seen many accidents with scooters. All the rules are aost same everywhere. What is different than my country :- the semafores are on the other side of intersection (to see the color better) , which is a good thing.
- usually drivers don't fight (too much ) . In Romania sometimes happenes to use guns 😁
- roads are very nice and many highway.
- the taxi drivers are more rude than Romania (in trafic)

One advice and in my opinion is very important thing. Don't drive if you drank more than 2 glasses of alcohol. The laws here are very strict and for foreigners can be very big issue. Better call a driver. They are cheep ans safe :)
Good luck.

I drive mainly in Seoul and so am used to getting into an aggressive state of mind in order to take on the roads.

Being from the UK I have experienced driving in London where there is similar driving style with very little courtesy shown between motorists.

However in my beloved North of England, we let people out, hand signal a thank you or even a pleasant smile.

I have driven in other parts of South Korea, but Seoul is like any other big city when it comes to driving etiquette, frankly they don't give a damn!

:/

skriz wrote:

I drive mainly in Seoul and so am used to getting into an aggressive state of mind in order to take on the roads.

Being from the UK I have experienced driving in London where there is similar driving style with very little courtesy shown between motorists.

However in my beloved North of England, we let people out, hand signal a thank you or even a pleasant smile.

I have driven in other parts of South Korea, but Seoul is like any other big city when it comes to driving etiquette, frankly they don't give a damn!

well, do you understand korean? The reason why I am asking is if you do understand Korean, you will know people are angry and they don't want to be nice to other drivers. Not in every case, but I have seen plenty of road rage, fist fighting and chest bumps! I haven't been to romania but here definitely lots of chaotic road rages happen...

I don't like driving in Seoul. I HATE IT!! but then I have to drive through every now and then.. gotta love the soul city... did I say "soul"? lol