Driving in Slovakia

Hi,

What do you think of the way people drive in Slovakia? How different is it from your home country?

Respecting the road safety rules, driving etiquette such as general courtesy, speed excess… what are the characteristics of the driving style in Slovakia?

Share with us the difficulties one may face when driving in Slovakia: peak hours, road conditions, accident, etc. and your advice to drive safely in the country.

Thank you in advance for participating,

Maximilien

Driving in Slovakia, it's mainly ok. Young guy with fency cars are crazy. In Bratislava, it's a bit a mess.

Make sure you have all correct paperwork. Otherwise you will certainly have problems with the police. There is a zero alcohol tolerance so unlike UK or other countries you cannot even have one beer. Outside of Bratislava driving is generally okay in my experience. Smaller roads are not of such good quality as you would find elsewhere. There are a lot of aggressive drivers who will overtake on the wrong side of the road. Despite being frowned upon in UK this is commonplace in SK. As long as you drive consistently and safely you should not have any problems whatsoever.

Hey max

I live in Bratislava and i can tell you driving in slovakia was a real eye opener the standards are terrible drivers in slovakia are very selfish and unskilled drivers always speeding and doing dangerous manoeuvres, my advice always use a dash camera as there are alot of crash for cash scams just be very carefully and just because everyone else is driving like idiots just keep ro the limits and be very wary do not stop on the roads in the evening if you traveling out of towns as there are many fake police if they are real you find out quick enough
enough, always make sure you have all you papers in car as it's a 150 euro cash fine on the spot up to 600

Yes and do not ever drive a car after a drink q's you will go to jail instantly

Just take tour time ans be considerate you will be ok it may even give the locals somthing to aspire too lol

Hi interspec

I've never heard about fake polices out of towns.

My extended family are in the police force in BA and it has been a problem usually in more remote areas but like everything else they are trying to crack down,

Also make sure you buy a kolok (a pre paid toll ticket) for the motorways from a petrol station before you drive across country or in Austria Hungary etc this will also catch you out and you will be hit with hefty fines, not all tourists will know this its a handy thing i was fined when i first arrived as i had no idea.....