Driving in Paraguay

Hi,

What do you think of the way people drive in Paraguay? How different is it from your home country?

Respecting the road safety rules, driving etiquette such as general courtesy, speed excess… what are the characteristics of the driving style in Paraguay?

Share with us the difficulties one may face when driving in Paraguay: peak hours, road conditions, accident, etc. and your advice to drive safely in the country.

Thank you in advance for participating,

Maximilien

They drive like lunatics.   If anyone has been to Cairo or Istanbul, it's similar.   And with a screwed up legal system who basically faults the richest person in a crash, it's not real pleasant sometimes to be an expat driving here.

I get use to it, like San Jose CR, the bigger the better, and motcycles of course, was till now damagefree

A tad better than the Phillipines

https://jmobraindump.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/traffik-687279771.jpg

I just felt the need to have my comment on this particular subject.
Before you drive, please take a tranquilizer pill. Adjust your rear view, side view and if you can, add more mirrors to your car. If renting a car, drive slowly, there are craters and unmarked speed bumps all over. (Some city mayor periods can be like downtown Chicago but all depends of who is in charge). Keep an eye on your mirrors because like mosquitoes, motorcycles suddenly will be all around you; therefore, don't make any sudden movement because if you hit one .... Big trouble. Is not unusual that waiting at red light, few motorcycles or a car may "step up" in front of you to be first and when green will decide to go slow. Left lanes are for anyone who doesn't want to be behind a bus; those tend to stop anywhere anytime. I can write a book about this but I left you with last one, everyone wants to be a race car driver but have a little "shoe" car that make only noise. My wife and son refuse to drive here .. So, I'm the driver. Plan ahead and  take your sweet time because no one will be on time anyway.
If can drive here, you'll be able to drive anywhere.
Victor Franco

hahaha

I think its OK, central SanJose Costa Rica is a bit less relaxed, compared to Asuncion
The buses need attention , Till now I survived ...

Dont be too nervous. I was driving in 61 countries on this planet so far, and Paraguay is not the worst. If you are able to always keep your 360°-imagination, you'll be fine. Respect others but keep level high, you must defense yourself trough skills. If you have no idea, what I'm talking about, you are probably not the best driver and should use taxi/bus.

For all others, here are my 10 tips for selfdrivers in Paraguay:

1. a 3-lane road has NOT 3 lanes. But 5,5.
2. the friendly guy cleaning your window for the 31th time today costs 1000 Guarani. The scratch on the hood you are saving with 2.5 million.
3. Spinning wheels have nothing to do with immense engine power. But with really crappy tires.
4. Parking areas should not be used for parking. Illegal parking is much better. Best is to never park at all.
5. On green light you drive. On red light you check and drive. If you are not front line and no chance to decide, you honk.
6. If someone waves you from a side of the road, the other way is the best.
7. Basically there is right-before-left. Except you are coming from right, then its left-before-right. If one is coming from front, faster is better. But more wheels always win.
8. If the police is blowing the whistle, you set off. No matter which direction. 
9. Alcohol limit must be around 3.9 o/oo
10. Traffic jams can be solved with collective honking. To curse helps as a prophylaxis.

Lol, I must say I think you pretty much nailed it.Except for the Alcohol limit one, I didn't get that one, legal alcohol limit in PY for drivers is 0.0 , like in ZERO.BUT for the rest, you really nailed it. Kudos!