Driving in Norway

Hi,

What do you think of the way people drive in Norway? How different is it from your home country?

Respecting the road safety rules, driving etiquette such as general courtesy, speed excess… what are the characteristics of the driving style in Norway?

Share with us the difficulties one may face when driving in Norway: peak hours, road conditions, accident, etc. and your advice to drive safely in the country.

Thank you in advance for participating,

Maximilien

Compared to Singapore, I think Norwegian drivers are quite nice.  One thing i  notice that norwegian drivers do not honk unless it is really really really necessary.

My hubby said because honk  creates noise pollution and it might shock other drivers, thus they don't do it unless it is really necessary.  This compare to drivers in Singapore who honk to show their frustrations is very different.

the roads in the city can be confusing.  Some roads that are two ways can be really narrow, thus drivers need to learn to give way.  This is something I don't see in Singapore.

Driving habits are mostly very good, decent and considerable

However roads are terrible,  this is mostly due to the geography and nature.

so watch out, and always be careful about speed,

and wild animals ^_^

I actually think the roads are pretty good when I compare the average rural Norwegian road to the average rural Vermont road! What I find really strange is that there are almost no stop signs. On small roads you have to know the "right hand rule", and on larger ones there will either be a yield sign or a set of lights. I can think of maybe two stop signs I've seen in this country.

Norwegian drivers are generally very rule following and have a defensive driving style. I've found it pretty relaxing to drive here with the slower speeds, relatively few other drivers, and amazing landscapes. Just don't expect to get anywhere in a hurry.

oh, and for those of you moving to Norway with non-European licenses, check the rules for switching your license as soon as you arrive! Many countries only get one year to switch the license before you have to do a lot of tests and classes. Saves a lot of money if you do it in the first year.

ECS wrote:

... for those of you moving to Norway with non-European licenses, check the rules for switching your license as soon as you arrive! Many countries only get one year to switch the license before you have to do a lot of tests and classes. Saves a lot of money if you do it in the first year.

My son (who lives in Norway) tells me that the cost of getting a Norwegian licence is something like 15,000 Kroner, most of which is the fee payable to a Driving Instructor - whom it is compulsory to use. (That wouldn't apply to someone who is allowed to switch the licence automatically.) That's one hell of a price!

i do agree that roads are fine generally speaking, and the way norvegians are driving is a quiet one
For sure distance is a real problem in Norway. And making a trip is always a true affair.
But landscapes made it always so pleasant that in fact combined with quiet & slow driving ... charm is operating. This comes also from the fact that roads are wide, easy to drive on, with not too much signs, and often large wide curves that allowed us to feel confortable and easy. In bottom of valleys at least.

Just a question : somebody once, said to me that on rural part of road net they are allowed (kommune) - as the state don't build and manage these kinds of roads - to make people pay for short passage tax as on highway in France for example. I wonder if it's true or not because I never saw any "paying gate" on any road I used. Do someone have info about it ?

"Funny flash" ; I don't know why , but reading the whole forum, and your posts...
A curious relation rose up in my brain and I'll share it - even if it's totally / probably (?) a weird idea :

Isn't there a similarity / a link between the way people are used to drive and the way they are practising education of their "barne" / kids ?
I don't know why this strange idea came to me ... on both of these topics - probably particular scenes of politness, quiet driving...I saw or just when i was looking to some families resting for a while close to their car, beside the road or on parking places. (Parking places are nice too in Norway with games for kids or some other accomodations such as this one.)

Probably some comparison appeared between for example, italian driving habbits ( or french one) and the way they are acting with their kids.

Anyway,  what do you think ? any comment ?

re: road tax, yes, it happens! They are generally smaller private roads near vacation cabins where the locals pay collectively for the upkeep. I know of several if you go up in the hills near Mjøsa. It'll usually be a small handpainted sign with a box for collecting the tolls, and sometimes another box where you can write a ticket that shows you've paid. They're all honor system, without a gate or anyone patrolling.

re: licenses, yes! It's extremely expensive if you're required to do all the long driving, ice driving, dark driving, first aid, theory, and practical requirements for the license. I know many Americans who moved here and didn't realize their window for a cheaper exchange was limited and are now stuck either having to pay a lot to "re-learn" how to drive or just go without driving. Most of those I know have gone without driving since they live in the Oslo area.

Thanks for reply and precision, ECS...

* about Licence : I saw you warned people to pay attention to this topic. several times on forums, and this  cheap - but short time - possibiliy, - For sure, better know it before expat.

* about tolls : That's it ! I mean exactly what my contact in Hammar (160km in back country side of Oslo) said to me. But I am ashamed : as he didn't explain the whole thing, as you did... I think  I simply never see them and in consequence, never payed if I used one and had to pay ! - I'll know it, now. Thanks.
But ... I 'm feeling  very bad now !  - as i hate such kind of "bad conducts and manners".
This remains me previous talks on some forums about the absolute necessity in respecting they ways of acting and thinking, normenner... their special background, about ethic, and "good manners".

I mean never try to do this in France ! if you put a box aside a road and ask people to pay a toll just because it's written on a sign "it's for building / maintenance of a road"...
...the box will disappear for sure as soon as you 'll have your back, turned !
Even in church , priests and clergymen  have to survey carefully their box for "denier du culte" ( = church offerings) if not ... they'll vanish for sure. You'll never find inside, any penny, any kopeck...

Foster-Ehlé J-Ch wrote:

Thanks for reply and precision, ECS...

* about Licence : I saw you warned people to pay attention to this topic. several times on forums, and this  cheap - but short time - possibiliy, - For sure, better know it before expat.

* about tolls : That's it ! I mean exactly what my contact in Hammar (160km in back country side of Oslo) said to me. But I am ashamed : as he didn't explain the whole thing, as you did... I think  I simply never see them and in consequence, never payed if I used one and had to pay ! - I'll know it, now. Thanks.
But ... I 'm feeling  very bad now !  - as i hate such kind of "bad conducts and manners".
This remains me previous talks on some forums about the absolute necessity in respecting they ways of acting and thinking, normenner... their special background, about ethic, and "good manners".

I mean never try to do this in France ! if you put a box aside a road and ask people to pay a toll just because it's written on a sign "it's for building / maintenance of a road"...
...the box will disappear for sure as soon as you 'll have your back, turned !
Well not always, and not everywhere... but...
I'm probably pushing it a little bit too far, indeed.
Even in church , priests and clergymen  have to survey carefully their box for "denier du culte" ( = church offerings) if not ... they'll vanish for sure.
You'll never find inside, any penny, any kopeck...

or just a simple word writen on a piece of paper :"thanks !" -
Sorry ... but I lived in some countries - germanic one - where theses kind of practice is usual. But coming back here ... it wasn't the "same song". At all ! notion of civic common sens isn't the same everywhere.

Hey guys, regarding the posts of Adayirou,

it looks like spam,

this is not a proper way to advertise jobs, so be careful and do not send your details

Hi Ocean and thanks for the warning !

I was "studying" carefully to the whole 4 messages and i had same kind of feeling.

it's not at all a correct way to give proposal of jobs.

too confused message... no structure.... everything / professional sectors are mixed ... never saw such a mess in a real "real estate job offer". accomodations proposal of taking in charge flight ans so on.

Better not to give details as you said it : it "smells too much" some "nigerian scamers manners".

Just unbelievable those guys !

Nice to give your impression. .

Right, you've got me started!

1. As an ex UK driver, I find Norwegian drivers extremely rude and pushy for the most part. If you're hesitant at a junction or whatever the Norwegians will "honk". It happens in Bergen.
2. The speed limit is far too low. Driving at 50 mph on roads I'm used to driving along at 70 mph (approx. 120 kph) is very frustrating. This might be because I'm the only one driving at 80 kph, everyone else seems to be driving at 120!
3. The local roads are very narrow compared to the UK and some Norwegian drivers insist on driving in the centre of the road. BTW, they usually are driving wide German made cars. I have had to make several quick stops ( not quite emergency stops) to avoid collisions.
4. So yes getting a licence in Norway is expensive and is more about experiencing driving than like in the UK where the emphasis is on "THE TEST". Consequently, some people are signed off by the driving instructor before fully meeting the requirements.  Also, in my area, we are quoted 20 to 30 THOUSAND NOK to obtain a licence but the rich local kids have a habit of loosing the licence within weeks due to speeding and/or drink driving.
5. Right hand rule. Seems odd to us foreigners but sometimes the locals have trouble understanding it too! We've had many near misses on the basis that it was our right of way but the local simply ignored the rule.
6. Distractions.  The Norwegians love their phones/toys/ girlfriends so much that even whilst driving or even performing manoeuvres they cannot focus on the job in hand.
7. Take public transport - it's safer.

I don't mean to generalize, but I find a lot of Norwegians to be extremely bad drivers . Lacking simple driving manners such as signaling or giving way. I have even encountered a few rude ones whom would enter the roundabout even if they see I am signaling and already am inside the circle ( no, they were not  necessarily foreigners!)...

Driving in Norway is nice and roads are well planned, drivers are sticking to the rules but no idea about speed cameras

The worst thing is that the countryside roads "very very very narrow" however the drivers are not reducing the speed when we face each other, I feel that I will fall to road side

No big accidents noticed by the way

Well, compared to Sydney Australia where I am from. I'd have to say it's not that good from I personally have noticed. They don't seem to know what a indicator is. And that's enough to frustrate me when it comes to round abouts & changing lanes

Mahmoud Abdul Hamied wrote:

Driving in Norway is nice and roads are well planned, drivers are sticking to the rules but no idea about speed cameras

there are quite a few speed cameras, and in some cases there are two that measure the amount of time it takes you to go between them. If it's too short a time, they know you've been speeding. The good thing is that you're always warned before the speed cameras by signs.

I think the roads are pretty good, especially for the amount of snow/ice/freeze-thaw that we get in Tromsø. Sometimes the speed limits are ridiculously slow. There is a long stretch here of 30 km/h...crazy slow. I think drivers are fairly responsible EXCEPT for the dreaded right-hand-rule and the fact that there are hardly any controlled intersections. I curse the right-hand-rule almost every time I drive, even after 2 years here. I think it just creates so many unclear situations, and driving is a thing where I think it's not good to have unclear situations. One thing I have stuck in my head from learning to drive in the US is to not trust a turn signal, meaning don't pull out into traffic even if the car coming has their turn signal on. Always safer to sit for a second or 2 and make sure...well, this doesn't work out well with the right-hand rule. I can't bring myself to shoot out into traffic even with cars coming, just trusting that they will stop. Also it is so hilly here, and icy for 9 months out of the year, so it can be impossible to stop sometimes when someone comes shooting out from a road on the right. I'm amazed that there aren't accidents all the time. Somehow Norwegians must just have some magic to deal with this.

I've only driven in the Oslo/Akershus area and generally the roads are perfect.  They recently increased the speed on the motorway to 110 kp/h and that was a nice change :)  Lots of people do speed, especially on the motorway, but many follow the limit also (most wouldn't do more than 10 kph over the limit though).

Generally very rule following, you MUST stop for zebra crossings etc.  Busses have right of way, if they are ready to leave the bus stop you need to slow down for them to get out.  If you ever see police/ambulance/fire you need to literally pull over to the side or at least slow down and give way. It's very nice to see that even a full/busy road of cars (both ways) will all pull off to the side to allow a fire engine to get through!

Hi, i'm coming from Romania and driving on Norway's roads was to me like arriving in the holy land where all my dreams as a driver came true: politeness, care, balance and safety from other drivers, well maintained, well signalized roads! Still, the fuel price and the autopass fees helped me keep contact with reality:) also, just like any other country, cars with foreign plates are going crazy every once in a while. Best of all: as a foreigner, you can never get lost - and you don't need a GPS. Worst of all: parking fees.

Irina. I too find Norwegians pretty good drivers, and polite. I haven't driven there myself, mind - except as a passenger in my son's car. He finds the give-way-on-the-right rule a bit scary, but he says you get used to it.

Hi Gordon !

It was a real mess in France when they introduced this rule "priority to people coming from right" as we call it there - but people can manage it , in fact and it's a pure rule so you need to .learn / know it and just apply it.

For me it's seem to be as driving on the left part of the road in England whether with a right or a left wheel car... or as I did it myself for decades driving a car (Long Land-Rover)  "rightwheeldriving" in france .
Just need some practice and always stay carefull...

Drivers habits, I still give it high credit, some minor exceptions.

Roads:

we are not talking about motorways of course,

Other roads outside the urban area, where the speed should be 80 and above, narrow , curvy, bumpy and dark .

I am used to straight roads, so this was a bit challenge for me, and still do not feel so comfort with all these sharp curves and narrow roads ! 

scary edges some times

at least for me,

accident rate is not high in Norway, but highest percentage mainly occurs due to driving out of the road !

In comparison to the USA: Norwegian drivers seem generally good at driving. They seem to take the laws of the road seriously and seem considerate of pedestrians and other drivers. The roads are not very good. Many of them are in much need of fixing, and the roads are very thin. Most roads are only one lane in each direction, though some have as much as two lanes. Some of the mountain roads are only one lane at all, and the road is too thin for cars going in opposite directions to pass each other and you have to back up to the nearest passing area. Some bridges are this way as well. You don't see a ton of police on the road, but there are plenty of speed capturing cameras that will automatically capture speeders and send fines. Fines for traffic violations are very steep. The cost of driving is extremely high. To get a license is several several thousands of kroner, and unless you have an electric car you have to pay a tax for owning a car. And for a country abundant in oil, gas prices are sky high.

Hi Static !

I like your post -
just one point : about prices of oil & gas : isn't it a question of environmental policy of the government ?
I guess they are trying to join international actual policy. - maybe not in the good direction, i don't know.

About the "give way to the right" rule  - it's not an universal rule. It's only applicable on roads without a yellow diamond on a white diamond background. Sometimes the signage does not happen when the zone ends so confusion all round.

Yes - Thanks to precise this point .
Well ... about signage when zone ends ... just stay reactive , slow down at cross roads and pay attention to the attitude of others drivers so that you'll always be able to manage your car and ... the driver arriving on your right. I mean we are supposed to drive carefully AND what ever could happen avoïd ANY accident ... even when you are in your rights - isn't that a "normal way of acting" ?  (and living ?)
Just try to stay always "on your guards" .. others may be inattentive, absent-minded and it's not a reason to make an accident occure ! -
I saw it , unfortunately ! silly people who could avoîd it but they were sure to be in their "rights" ! and didn't slow down or too late ...
in a word "stay cooool !" and polite and nice guys .. who wish to others the best and allow to make it gently everywhere and with everybody -

Never forget this : people in the car in front of you could be driven by your son, your mother, your oncle etc... or .... YOURSELF ! - so be nice and be lenient with (/ indulgent) everybody. Even with those who are making mistakes - don't start some kind of ...  war ! no use. there are enough conflicts on eath much more serious than that. Be clever and smart...
Driving car isn't a way to play with life of other people - just a mean of locomotion safe and clean.

katerushdy 10 August 2015 16:49:33
I don't mean to generalize, but I find a lot of Norwegians to be extremely bad drivers . Lacking simple driving manners such as signaling or giving way.

@katerushdy-  I can only say based on my opinion and experienced on driving here in Norway. Norwegian is actually nice drivers the only thing is not all norwegians who drives on the road we bear in mind there were loads of expats too.Norwegians even pay attention all the time their speed limit and the like to give way as much as possible.

Driving in Norway can be a little bit stressful, but very bearable. Usually back where I fist got my driver's license which is in the Philippines, the rules are first come first serve and always have cash with you incase you violated a ''law''. Many corrupt cops in the philippines.

Driving in Norway means following every rule there is and being attentive at all times. You can easily lose your driver's license here and there is no easy way out. The traffic flow is very good. but always watch out for your right hand side junction because there is a possibility that they have the right of way if you are not on a priority road. The speed limit reduces the chances of danger. During winter always do a brake test, because the road can be very slippery and never use the fog light when there is fog, use your low beam at all times when the weather is very bad and you can barely see anything due to excessive rain, snow and fog.

Norwegians are well educated when it comes to driving. They take driving seriously, but sometimes some people do feel the need to drive like morons, to impress whoever it is they need to impress. luckily we have rules that can indicate whether you are at fault or not when it comes to accidents.

Roadabouts are the only thing I hate the most. always giving way to the left hand side of the road. and you really need to get it moving once your left hand side is clear.

The most thing that really bothers me are those drivers that cut their turns. instead of turning into a new junction properly some of them tend to take up the road making it impossible for other driver's to get on their way safely.