Driving in Namibia

Hi,

What do you think of the way people drive in Namibia? How different is it from your home country?

Respecting the road safety rules, driving etiquette such as general courtesy, speed excess… what are the characteristics of the driving style in Namibia?

Share with us the difficulties one may face when driving in Namibia: peak hours, road conditions, accident, etc. and your advice to drive safely in the country.

Thank you in advance for participating,

Maximilien

Driving Standards in Namibia - Joke

1. Taxi Drivers are maniacs who think that the laws don't apply to them.
2. Speed limits are there for guidance only, nothing is enforced.
3. Cars are not always road-worthy.
4. 4x4 drivers bully other drivers.
5. Truck drivers do not use 'slow lanes' or let drivers past easily.
6. Cell phones seem to be acceptable for use whilst driving as is drinking alcohol.

There is no real enforcement of laws, which is why there are so many deaths on the roads.

Mike

1. U need to drive very carefully coz anyone can stop at any point and apply hazard lights, of which that's not the use of hazards.
2. People they don't mind about traffic, so when driving in high density suburbs put that in mind, mostly pedestrians they a mind of saying bump-me-you-will-pay. As well as kids play around in the road, so be very cautious.
3. If u bump a citizen it won't be an easy issue to getaway with.
4. Tickets are very high so act accordingly
5.  U need to be very alert at times road signs they contradict, of which its possible to get a ticket according to the officer's option.
6. Any point is a pedestrian crossing please watch.
7. Starting from 2200hrs,  even if u are facing green robot proceed with  caution
8. Be vigilant when it comes to taxi drivers he can stop anywhere even without pulling-off from the road.

Its a good country

Namibian Drivers are really not that bad compared to Zimbabwe (home country) and SA (where I have lived before).
I'm in Walvis Bay now, where traffic volumes in general are not that high which helps. In Windhoek I have encountered taxi drivers who show no patience for a stranger trying to find his way, but then where in the world will you not find taxi drivers acting like they "own" the streets.