Driving in Honduras

Hi,

What do you think of the way people drive in Honduras? How different is it from your home country?

Respecting the road safety rules, driving etiquette such as general courtesy, speed excess… what are the characteristics of the driving style in Honduras?

Share with us the difficulties one may face when driving in Honduras: peak hours, road conditions, accident, etc. and your advice to drive safely in the country.

Thank you in advance for participating,

Maximilien

First of all if you rent a vehicle in Honduras you will also have to get vehicle insurance regardless of weather your credit card company provides insurance or not.  The best way to describe driving in Honduras is Aggressive.  People will not give you right of way.  You need to drive like they do or you won't get very far.  Once you get out of the big cities it becomes much better.

You must drive aggressively and have no mercy! Hondurans, even women, are ruthless behind the wheel.

Traffic laws are not enforced, in Honduras, as a result no drivers obey them.

They are enforced, but in a strange way!

I've discovered that most Hondurans simply "purchase" their drivers license,  no test,  nada.  It now makes sense to me why "drivers" here are so dangerous.  :sosad:

The real problem is that Honduran culture is an extremely rude and inconsiderate one, [Moderated] and with little concern for human life and suffering! This is exhibited daily on the roads!

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please avoid too harsh words

Anybody been to Chicago lately? Or LA? Drivers with little or no concern for others are not exclusive to Honduras. Every roadway has it's share of idiots no  matter the country. ***

Moderated by Christine 8 years ago
Reason : maybe offensive

The Irony of the rude and aggressive driving is multiplied by the number of vehicles with crosses of Jesus Chris and Versus out of the Bible on them.  I would not go as far as calling Hondurans drivers Idiots Ive driven in other countries with much worse drivers.  One thing I did learn on my last trip is that when your approaching a police checkpoint you need to ensure that your windows are rolled down prior to entering checkpoint.

yeah  the prayers and invocations certainly underscore the need for devine intervention in driving.
To clarify, I didn't call all Honduran drivers idiots...

Moderated by Christine 8 years ago
Reason : maybe offensive