Driving in Fiji

Hi,

What do you think of the way people drive in Fiji? How different is it from your home country?

Respecting the road safety rules, driving etiquette such as general courtesy, speed excess… what are the characteristics of the driving style in Fiji?

Share with us the difficulties one may face when driving in Fiji: peak hours, road conditions, accident, etc. and your advice to drive safely in the country.

Thank you in advance for participating,

Maximilien

Hello!

I have found driving here to be very stressful. Most roads aren't lit, or don't have reflectors, so we avoid driving at night altogether.

Driver etiquette seems to be at its lowest in traffic, and pedestrians walk in the road freely. People won't think twice about double parking you in, even if other parking is available. There are also thousands of stray dogs to watch out for, and drivers I've witnessed don't seem to mind hitting them. I've witnessed as many fender-benders since I arrived as well.

There aren't any freeways here, but some people do speed like they're are. The villages often have speed bumps to deter it on the main road.

Road conditions vary, but the potholes are pretty common. The pollution is the worst though! If you drive anywhere near a bus, you're going to get a cloud of exhaust in your lungs. Some cars too, but nearly all of the buses.

Cars are super expensive here, even ones that aren't in great condition. The car we bought here would be worth about half in the US. Now our problem is finding car parts for it. I've opted to use taxis wherever I go, since they are usually pretty cheap/abundant and I don't have to deal with parking.

Sorry I can only offer the negative info. Please keep in mind that I am living in a city here, though I prefer and am used to rural living. Hope you my gripes somewhat helpful!

Hi,
I have had a driver's license for 54 years and have driven only in the USA and here in Fiji.
I think there are rude driver's  in both places. I hear that driving in New York City is difficult
with lots of taxis trying to get people places quickly and such a large population.  Also in
California where I have driven some early on where there are so many freeways and people.
Anywhere I drive these days it seems people are in a hurry.  I find driving in Suva a bit scary with people
cutting off each other and lots of pedestrians in town.  I don't know what the percentage of accidents
per population are here in Fiji versus anywhere else so it is difficult to compare that way.
I would like to see more roadway courtesy.