Driving in Ethiopia

Hi,

What do you think of the way people drive in Ethiopia? How different is it from your home country?

Respecting the road safety rules, driving etiquette such as general courtesy, speed excess… what are the characteristics of the driving style in Ethiopia?

Share with us the difficulties one may face when driving in Ethiopia: peak hours, road conditions, accident, etc. and your advice to drive safely in the country.

Thank you in advance for participating,

Maximilien

I love driving in Ethiopia. It's like go-cart racing with no rules. Forget about lines, even if they exist they don't for other drivers. Everyone has a broken left arm which explains the lack of turn signal use. You have to drive offensively and defensively equally at all times, otherwise you'll never get anywhere. There is an attitude of "it's my road" so watch out. With very few exceptions there is little courtesy. Where else do you have a highway combined with a round-about?

As to hazards besides the roads themselves... pedestrians....watch out. Hit one and it's jail, period. They have the right-away and everywhere is a crosswalk. As for the rules.... they seem to be the same as anywhere else, but the traffic police will make them up to give you a ticket. Do not just give in if you're asked to pull over, ask for an explanation of what you did, be sure you have proof of insurance, and your license. Getting one is an experience in itself, and a welcome to the political system juggernaut.

Best times to drive... late evening, Best time for frustration... rush hour. Once you have the hang of it, its is pure joy! Seriously, I love it.

my advise to driving in addis is DON'T. hiring a driver is probably the best option in my opinion. forget the hustle of being on the road, finding a parking spot is nearly impossible . driving in the states for the past twenty years hadn't prepare me to the conditions in addis.