Driving in Dominican Republic

I get my (forecasts?) from the weather network
& the weather channel, neither are accurate.
Even those noisy big frogs at night aren't correct anymore!
Used to be when you heard them at night
it would rain within 24 hours!

It's rained here in Bonao the last two nights. Awesome!

I get my weather reports direct. No middleman. When I hear the rain hit the metal roof outside I know it's raining! :)

Well, we're still waiting!
Had maybe 1 inch in the last month!

Still waiting in Sosua...

Bob K

They hit Dominicans to. I thought I was going to jail when my wife and daughters ended up in a yelling contest in Spanish with the man and I did not understand much. then after 15 minutes they all started laughing. We drove off and I never knew what happened. I asked and they said Learn Spanish. twice that has happened.

some people just like to argue. I think they are lonely

Sad day in Cabrera yesterday. A young man went through a stop sign
entering #5 hwy & hit another moto, killing 1 instantly while the
other died in hospital a few hours later. Both in their early 20's.
Very sad indeed.
My condolences to all.

How truly sad and probably unnecessary!

No driver education is the biggest problem.

How sad, how unnecessary  and how common!

Bob K

i GOT PULLED OVER  in sosua by the super Mercado for going through a yellow light yet 2 cars behind me went through a red and they were waved through ; they  took me up the hill to the compound and I called Gary that I rented the golf cart from he come got me out no fine as they never wrote a ticket after I told them I rented from Gary at Spanky's bar  he worked out a deal with the person in charge  and they let me go ; but as far as being courtesy ; I lived at camino libre and has to make a left hand turn to go up that street  and was very surprise on how many  people actually stopped to wave me through on that busy intersection ; there should be a red light there ; some times on easter week they have a cop there directing traffic ; this helps a lot its Camino LIBRE and #5  right by the BOMBA  ; gas station ;

One rule...if you are in the lead you are in charge, nomatter how you get there...and everybody wants to be first.  There is a reason all the busses have cowcatcher bumpers front and rear...and every taxi looks like it was jn a demolition derby...90% drive like idiots. They should hire 10x the traffic cops and then pay the traffic cops from the tickets they write, then you would see everybody getting pulled over and the problem eventually go away (of couse they wound first need to be taught what a traffic law is!)...traffic cops would be working round the clock...and becoming rich...at least for a while...because there aren't that many gringos running around

Sorry but probably won't ever change much.  Part of the adapting to living here

Bob K

Its true,  not likely  to change.   And paying traffic cops based on tickets just gets all the "rich" drivers handing over money and not the bad drivers.....

Just accept, adapt and cross your fingers.

Well people, after my 10 or so years driving
around our beautiful Island, I have noticed
things getting better! Way more cleaner for sure!
The driving habits are changing for the better.
Albeit slowly.

If I move to the DR, would I be an outcast if I didn't drive a car?  Are there many expats who don't have cars there?

I think it would be safer, cheaper, and less of a hassle, to just rely on taxis and buses for distances over a mile or 2.

I'm curious, and would like your opinion -- do you think that locals, and other expats, would see me as wise, or as a wimp, for relying on public transportation?
Dan.

Some expats are more scared not to drive than they are to drive.  Of course they have fears of how everyone else drives here but they don't like public cars, buses and guaguas because they think those are the worst drivers.

I have both driven and not driven here and in my opinion not driving is better.  It is definitely cheaper when you consider costs for gas, car maintenance with the horrible roads only making it worse, etc.  And not having a car at my disposal encourages me to walk more often which I personally like as well.  Up to a mile I walk.  Up to about 5 miles I use a motoconcho.  More than that it is a guagua or public taxi.  And for trips to other parts of the country it is Caribe Tour. 

I like it much better.  I don't have to worry about my car being damaged or getting into an accident regardless of who's fault it might be.  I save money, I exercise more and on long trips I can just sit back and relax on the bus.  Usually I have my laptop with me so I can listen to music, watch a movie, play a game or catch up on work. 

Not sure what others may think.  Some people think having a car is a status symbol but who cares about that stuff.  In my opinion the big debate is whether it is safer to drive yourself as a gringo foreigner that might get in an accident with a local or safer to to ride the bus, public car, etc.  Opinions will vary from one person to the next, but I have never been afraid of the bus.  Heck at least if it does crash with something it is going to be the bigger vehicle most of the time.

Who cares about what other people thin of you. It is what you think of yourself that is important!  How you think of yourself is what other people see.  If you are that concerned about others opinions, perhaps, you are a wimp. That is an observation, not an opinion of you. Do what the hell you want & be satisfied with your choice.

DKStuntz no for short distances not having a car is fine and much cheaper.

Many, myself included, do not look at cars as a status symbol.  In fact on is 9 years old and the other 19 years old.  Certainly not status symbols.

Bob K

Well, whether we like it or not, vehicles ARE a status
symbol  around the world. Personally I don't care one way or the other.
Safety first here. So, the intelligent thing to do is find
safe, dependable public transportation of your own level.
We have 2 - 12 year old cars for convenience.
They both need body work & paint.
If you must drive, be careful.
All trips to SD are on Caribe tours.

Yes, gypsy401, I agree with you, and to a large extent, I DO care more about what feels right for me, rather than what other people think of me.  Nevertheless, I just feel more comfortable when I'm not seen as an outcast, and when my lifestyle doesn't make it any harder for me to make friends.

Here  a vehicle is a status symbol.  Not having  a vehicle often means you cannot afford one - that is the impression. And what you drive will matter as well!

That being said, as an expat it just does not matter.  They know you are rich regardless as you choose to live here. So it really will not matter if you drive or don't drive.

I spent 4 years in the capital and did not need a vehicle. It was far less expensive and safer for me to take taxis.  When I lived in Puerto Plata it was a bit harder to live without one. I had a small car there for several years.   It is the same in La Romana,  much harder without a vehicle, now the company  provides me with one!

If people become friends because of your posessions, they are not worthy of you. Also, they are not true friends if your lifestyle makes a difference.  Only you can turn yourself into an outcast.  A real friend takes you as is, not for any other reason.  Most locals will accept you as you are. They seem to have a natural knack for seeing the real you.  Show respect & ye shall receive it. Ex-pats are not the be all or end all of life in the DR.  Laugh & enjoy life's adventure.!!!! The goal is to please yourself, not others. That will come with a happy self.

Gypsy well said

Bob K

Quite true Gypsy.
And we are here for a good time, not a long time.
We chose our friends carefully.

When I want to go somewhere, I don't want the hassle of trying to find transportation and dealing with overpriced taxis. A concho is easy. But a taxi for a 10 minute ride is not cheap. Here it's about 300-350 pesos. And that's x 2. I'd rather be able to get in my car and just go when and where I want to at the moment I want to go. Day or night. I love that feeling.  Now that I have my ride all cribbed out, I'm ready for some road trips!

Wonderful!
See you soon!