Driving in Canada

Hi,

What do you think of the way people drive in Canada? How different is it from your home country?

Respecting the road safety rules, driving etiquette such as general courtesy, speed excess… what are the characteristics of the driving style in Canada?

Share with us the difficulties one may face when driving in Canada: peak hours, road conditions, accident, etc. and your advice to drive safely in the country.

Thank you in advance for participating,

Maximilien

Hi Max.

I'm from Czech Republic. There we used signal lights to show drivers behind you that you turning or changing lines in Highways. 

Overtaking - it's fast driver action.  Not like in Canada.  I'm driving 100km/h right line. Somebody overtaking in right line in speed of 102 km/ h. Takes forever.

Using lines in highways.  - Right line is for driving
                                         - Left line for overtaking - After you finished your over take maneuver you should go back to the right line.  Canada. - show offs.  No respect. Al way in right.

SPEED LIMIT.  - Canada Spd limit on Highway 100 hahahahah
                          - Europe - Speed limit out of city 90km. High way 130km

Police- if stop by police mandatory Alcohol test. Always in Europe
            Canada.  Just question- any alcohol?  You just replay no and you free to go.  But what if I got couple of beers on my visit. 2,3. And I drive?  Police will never find out here.

Bottle neck. stupid thing. - Why you merge two line traffic into one line in the middle of the town.
                                           Creates huge lines. 

For the moment that's all. I will show up with more later.

Thx

jiri

Well said DRAKBUK.
I think it pretty much resumes everything.
The turning lights (flashers) and the left lane huggers are the worst. Really bad.
Cops could make a lot more money out of those guys, than waiting and hoping somebody does 130 km / h or more in  a 100 km/h zone.

Coming from the UK, I'd agree that people fail to pass on the inside lane and move back over to the outside lane when they're done passing. Also, with a lot of long, straight roads and automatic transmissions, a lot of people just aren't paying attention. The roads are boring. They're on their phones, drinking coffee and eating while driving. I've been in the passenger seat while the driver was pulled over for speeding, he was drinking coffee while the cop was talking to him and the police didn't bat an eye. Didn't even mention the coffee he was drinking while speeding.

A minority of impatient driver's dealing with a majority of driver's who aren't paying attention and half-asleep behind the wheel. I'd love to see more driver's who are more patient but aren't half-asleep. The roads are designed to put people to sleep.

Highway speed is legally generally 100km/h. At least on paper and signs. Most people drive around 115-120km/h. The highways have too many exits, which means no one wants to drive on the outside lanes. Including the slower drivers. Also, half the driver's don't match highway speed before entering the highway. This is what makes the highways dangerous. Police aren't enforcing basic safety rules that would make the highways safe.

During holidays the police often have checkpoints where they talk to drivers and ask if they've been drinking. I don't think they're worried if someone who can hold their liquor have 2-3 drinks. They're looking for drunk drivers. I've been stopped and been honest that I've had a couple of drinks. I've been given the breathalyzer a few times and passed easily with blood alcohol at 0.1-0.3. I don't like lying and don't lie to the police. This isn't so different from the UK.

All I can think of for now.

I have to agree with the assessment about Canadian drivers not using passing lanes correctly. Driving issues vary from province to province. BC drivers are very aggressive, but know how to drive on roads that have lots of curves and hills. Prairie drivers (especially RVs visiting BC seem to be challenged on anything but straight roads).

Road rage is an epidemic problem, especially in Vancouver where the highways merge down into two lane roads to enter the city. People have no idea how to merge efficiently and often refuse to cede way. I lived on Prince Edward Island for a time and they are not the best drivers. There are horrible problems with drinking and driving. They almost never signal (they truly believe that everyone knows who they are and where they're going), but they have pretty decent snow and ice driving skills.

I don't think you can compare driving in Europe with driving in Canada. The distances in Canada are usually so much longer any comparison is unfair. (You know the joke North American's think 100 years is a long time and Europeans think 100kms is a long way!) Having driven in places like South America and Greece, Canada seems to be way safer, but maybe I'm partisan. When we drove the highways in England, we couldn't believe how closely everyone traveled, Especially at the higher speeds - it was nerve wracking and I was just the passenger! That being said we didn't come across any accidents, which was impressive.

Side note: it's not illegal to drink or eat in your car, though I consider it distracted driving the law doesn't see it that way. There is also no specific law that requires drivers to only use the inside lane for passing, while that was it's original purpose. (at least not where I lived) Driving laws vary from province to province as well, so what is true in one place may not hold up in another..

Tips for Canadian drivers; signal!!! Learn to merge and use traffic circles, take a deep breath and for the love of all that's good and holy, don't drink and drive.

I could write a book on this very subject, but won't!!! lol

Seriously though, to provide the VERY short version.  Having drove in my native country of Scotland for many years and now 13+ years here in British Columbia, Western Canada ... It's clear to say that it's a game of two halves, where the "bad" half are far worse than the British "bad" half, if that makes sense?

In my opinion, there is too much of a relaxed (given right) attitude to driving in this part of the county, or at least to say, the Okanagan Valley and surrounding areas.    In my driving years on this side of the pond, the same faults present themselves again, and again .. and AGAIN.    This includes poor observational skills, too many distractions (cell phones) ... poor lane discipline (road position, cornering) and the old classic, lack of mirror and signal use!!!!!

I feel for the good drivers here, but bad drivers are easier to find .. on a daily basis.

All the best.