Driving in Brunei

Hi,

What do you think of the way people drive in Brunei? How different is it from your home country?

Respecting the road safety rules, driving etiquette such as general courtesy, speed excess… what are the characteristics of the driving style in Brunei?

Share with us the difficulties one may face when driving in Brunei: peak hours, road conditions, accident, etc. and your advice to drive safely in the country.

Thank you in advance for participating,

Maximilien

Hi
they are freindly  and respectful,they never stress you whenever you keep driving slowly looking for your way , blowing horn will never occur  except if you do a very big mistake or you snooze while waiting the traffic light to turn to green  ....... compared to many others country Brunei is very peaceful and stress less 
although some Bruneians complain , it still safe,  excellent  signalling in urban areas  , in sub urban places roads are tights , you have to drive carefully , monkeys , water monitors can cross.....
also late in the night  (after 00h00 ) you have this young people with powerful cars driving like a hell in the highways ,  better to keep concentrating  while driving during night

Hi,

We've been for 2 years and the general experience is that driving here is pretty easy.  Only at peak-hours will it be a bit more chaotic, but for most of the time it's dead-easy.  Road surface is certainly good (particularly compared to other Asian countries, some exceptions disregarded) although some residents here tend to complain easily about the odd surprise every so often.  Signage is open for improvements, but at least there is some and often in English. Speed-limits are probably more violated than observed, but a general lack of enforcement shows that it's not a priority anyhow. In terms of road safety (barriers, column positions, marking, length of acceleration lanes, etc) that's really lagging behind in respect of where they stand on other elements.  But overall: fairly good, I'd say.

Conclusion: Brunei isn't big, volumes are low and most people don't have too much money to spent on blizzard cars, so fitting-in was easy.  Follow the flow, don't stand-out, get your route sort-of planned in advance and all will go smooth.

BEWARE OF DRIVERS(MEN) WEARING WHITE CAPS!

These are holy caps representing their status in muslim society.
They are some what above the law and expect the right of way!
having been to Mecca and back they have the holy right to wear
GOD'S badge/hood of an untouchable...

stay clear, give way, wave and smile when you see them see you
this is good advice if a foreigner wants a continuous and pleasant
stay in the abode of peace..

there is no reason to challenge your right as a driver when you feel
wronged by these men of status,

yes I may sound cynical but this is my experience and the experience
of many foreigners that i know and associate with.

locals texting whilst driving explains MOST of the mysterious accidents
you see on the road.

cars are the locals disposable income to spend on and upgrade I will
not go into the details why. this is about driving in Brunei

This is not Saudi Arabia or her Gulf state neighbours never the less expect
nationalism to rear its ugly head when if you have an accident concerning
a local.

Expect racial and wealth/class profiling when you sort out your accident...

why am I being critical? no country or man and woman can "have his cake and eat it"
respect must be mutual, treat us wrong expect social media to enlighten the situation!

on a positive note, give plenty of respect to the traffic police and all police in Brunei ..this is my
personal experience. no country has a perfect police force..I like them!. I will not elaborate here.

driver attitudes have changed thru time in Brunei like everywhere else,
people for the most part are impatient and less courteous I wont elaborate here again,

The downside of driving in Brunei is money cant buy yourself a ROLL ROYCE, the Land Transport Dept. will not give you the permission. simply because your not special enough to own one...

More camera on traffic lights.