Is 6500 ringitt enough to get an average life and do good saving??

Hi everyone,

I am currently working in India and came across a job opening in Malaysia , in SAP technical area. It is through a consultancy called IITMatrix which is in Singapore. I am having 5.4 years of experience. They are offering 6500 ringitts. Also, they are saying, I have to go there for face to face interview, which If I fail to clear, I will have to bear 30% of the expense. And they are expecting me to join in 15 days time. And during the initial few months, they will cut the tax from the salary until I complete 6 months of service and give it back once I complete 6 months. Is this normal?? Can anybody guide me.. My motive will be to save some money .Not just have good lifestyle.So, will this salary be enough?? I am little confused. I am currently working in Pune and earning around Rs.60,000/-. I am single.  Will this be a good option for me or no ???

Please someone guide me!!!

Regards
Lavanya

What do you mean "they will cut the tax from the salary" They cant give it you back after 6 months either - the tax office takes care of all this next April 2016.

Impossible to join in 15 days - to be honest this all sounds dodgy.

Sounds rather strange - are they charging you a fee? Is that the 30% - do you have to pay that upfront? This bit sounds like a scam. They could invite 100 people and all of them fail.

You should never consider coming to Malaysia unless the salary is double what you are currently earning.

If you have school-going children i.e. 5 and above, you would need RM2k each per month for them alone.

Thanks a lot for the reply...

This is what they told me: "Please remember that for first 6 months, 20% of your salary will be held by us to comply with non-resident tax rule of Malaysia. Once you complete 183 days in Malaysia then all the withheld money will be returned back to you as you will be considered as Malaysian resident."

And about the 30%.. I am not really sure. They didn't ask me to pay in advance. They will only book the ticket to go for the interview. More details, I am yet to discuss. But, before that I myself was not sure, If I should consider this or no...
This could be a scam??

Very low salary. Consider coming over only of you are single and ready to take shared accommodation etc. Still, 6500 is very low. I would suggest you don't even come down for interview if they are asking you to bear any portion of expenses. If they are really keen in recruiting you, they should probably go for Skype call or some other video conference, finish preliminary rounds, assess you and then invite for subsequent rounds. That will at least clear the air on both sides to some extent. Looking at what you earn in India, this is low. Negotiate for minimum 8k and above if you want to save up something. On a lighter note, you are already getting a very decent paycheck in India!

It is absolute rubbish what they are telling you.

The non-resident tax rate is 25% and eventually you do a tax equilisation with the tax office and you may get it refunded if you have kept to the rules.

They cannot give you back to tax. Its just a sweetener.

You continue to pay tax at the graduated rate after 6 months and the difference between 25% and the graduated rate is what you can get refunded.

I don't trust the company to be honest. They should get their facts right.  I think the company they are hiring for in Malaysia is going to be dodgy if they are getting information from them like that and passing it on to you.

I would be Very Very VERY careful.

Like Gravitas mentioned, your tax refund will be handled by Tax department and not them. First 182 days you will be taxed at 25% and then taxed at normal rates once you become a tax resident.

You have also mentioned about them booking tickets. How about visa? There is a charge for that also and it is not visa on arrival for Indians. How about your accommodation, conveyance etc? This sounds fishy.

Note: check the authenticity of the company by looking it up in internet (there is a link on MSC Malaysia website) where u can key in that company's registration number and authenticate if its an MSC Malaysia Status company or not.

Remember Cost of Living in Malaysia is 30-35% higher than in India.

RM6500 isnt enough for anything. Ten years ago MAYBE but not today. Walk away, nothing to talk about.

If the offer and company were behaving properly, I would say that RM6500 is quite a good salary for a single person and you could save about RM2.5k month, once you are no longer paying non-resident tax and living in a shared unit with your own bedroom e.g. cost RM700-1000 per month. However, this particular offer sounds very strange.

Did this "recruitment" company contact you?  If so where did they get your details from?

I first received a mail from one of the authorized job portals in india... Naukri.com

So,I applied with my resume.Then they asked for my contact and gave me a call once. After that all the mails happened.

Which is the best way to find job openings in Malaysia??

How did the authorized job portals get your contact information?  I am trying to work out whether you took the first step or them, because that will explain how they got your information and if they knew you were looking for a job. Emerio is quite good for IT - just do a search on the phrase Emerio Malaysia

Dear Lavanya

RM 6.5K for a 5 years SAP experienced professional is low. Ideal would be around 8K. Check if there is a scope for negotiation. A decent condo here would cost you RM 2K, but if you intend to share it with 2-3 people, the costs can be divided. Also check about EPF. If you want to contribute 11% of your income to EPF, your company will contribute 12% to the EPF. This works out to be 23% savings, but is not mandatory for expats. But not companies follow this practice
Regarding joining in 15 days, i dont think it will happen, as they need atleast a month to prepare papers for your visa approval. Once you get it, you need to travel to Malaysia and get your passport endorsed by the Immigration department. However, for your interview, you can use a single/multiple entry tourist visa, which you can get done in a week
When you start working in Malaysia, you salary will be taxed at a flat rate of 25%, as a person need to be in Malaysia for minimum period of 183 days to be classified as a tax resident. But you dont have to worry about it. The tax department will refund the excess tax paid when you are filing in the taxes in April next year. For next year, you will be on a graduated tax scale, just like India

Hope that clarifies

I was actually looking for a job change.So I created a profile in the job portal.So I keep getting mails about the openings.Like that,I received mail saying this Opening.So first step was taken by me,by applying for the job openinv.Then they responded saying, renumerayion etc.I had quiet a lot of queries,that time they asked for my contact details so that they can talk to me.Then I received a call from a person from Singapore. Later things happened as I mentioned above.

Thank you.

Yes, it is pretty low for a SAP professional.  If you are single and using shared accommodation, then it is manageable. It also depends on where you live and where your workplace is located as you need to factor in the cost of transportation.  Living in KL is now expensive.  In fact, India would be the best place to work right now as the salaries are among the highest in the Asia Pacific region.

As for savings,  you may not be able to do much of that here, honestly.

Regards
Venkat

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : For own security measures, please do not share email address on the forum.

Ohkk...Thanks for your reply...

The exchange rate is not favourable either so like-for-like Malaysian salaries have fallen. In fact, your thread is the first one where Indian IT professionals are acknowledging the grass is not so green in Malaysia any more. There are also difficulties and transitions to be made as an Expat. You really have to be minded to go through some tough and stressful times - so there has to be reward. If your career is going to benefit that is one of them.  What is worrying is that you get out of the Indian job market and getting back into it may not be so easy.  We never hear from members who do the return leg.

I will tell you an inside story - once you have left your home country and been outside for a couple of years, you will find you move on as a person and change. It can mean that you will find it very difficult to move back and be a run of the mill employee again.  I cannot live in my home country because I don't fit in anymore. I don't think the same way.

I absolutely love living overseas but a rule of thumb is always to have in mind where your next move will be - because that helps you position the current one and make sure you are on track. I am a stronger and happier person for living overseas and solving problems and challenges. It certainly is character-building. !!

hey,
of course 6500 is a very good salary for an indian. you can save up to half of your slaray since u r single.

6,500 is awful for SAP.

I was PM'ing with some one who got nearly 3 times that after negotiation. That is what I call normal and real rates for IT professionals. I stress professionals some do bluster and are just technicians really (they get less of course).

Anything under 10k avoid for single (add 2k for wife and 5k per kid over 5 years old)  - unless under 25, single and 1-2 years experience 6+k ok. 6,500 RM is really a starter salary for low experience jobs with prospects.

6500 ringgit sal is less. They are rite abt tax. 182 days after u complete in malaysia u get tax rebate. Ur take home will be around 3900 ringitts for 6 months. Minus ur house and food + travel u will earn somewhere in range of 3000 rm which is ur india sal. Take ur call

You are rite abt leaving indian job market and coming back. Its a pain to search once u are back. U must be really luck to get a job quickly.

Do you still need an answer
I just your posting
Well u can e mail to me and I can guide you

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : Email address removed for your own security - please post all information on the forum itself, thanks

Don't come at all on this salary brother. Its very very less.Negotiate to 8000-9000k , if they don't agree just refuse to come.

Sorry to bring my query in this post. But it is exactly the same just amount is different. :)

But if company offered 9k RM, will it be good and how much we can save then?

Hi since a year ago MYR to USD rate went from 3.15 to 4,19.

So a year ago allowing for tax etc 6,500 RM is roughly 9,500 RM now.

And things might get worse!