Cempaka international school

Hi 
Does anyone have experience of Cempaka int. School please?

Schools get bad reviews so its hard to judge if they have moved on from difficult times. The issues are often the lack of internationally trained teachers in these minor schools, who teach by old fashioned methods e.g. rote.

Asia Pacific International School is worth looking at. Another member has just started a new thread about their summer school. This is a progressive school.

You get what you pay for in education in Malaysia. Taylors International School in Ampang is attracting attention lately. It has low fees to attract new pupils and grow the school.

There are bussing arrangements from the KL area to the Australian International School in Seri Kembangan.

Cempaka has been around for over the last 3 decades and it's actually one of the more established schools in Kuala Lumpur. They have a great performing arts program and always score highly in the IGCSE exams worldwide. Just pop in and have a look. (FB page is quite active facebook.com/cempakaschools and might give you an idea about the school.)

Problem in KL is that there are so many new international schools and as one international moving company said, there are so many IS now that advertises itself offering IGCSE, IB etc but actually their licence are still pending.

Any latest feedback about this school please ?

Any feedback about this school?

I'd like to preface my review by mentioning that I was a prospective parent of this school for a 5 year old. However, I decided against sending my child to this school after experiencing the assessment process and the subsequent discussions I had with the school.

Firstly, the website for this school is non-existent. Going to their page has a static message talking about an upgrade (First red flag).
After mailing their admissions team, I received details on their curriculum, fee structure and an invitation to tour the school. I must admit, I was initially impressed by the school tour. The person conducting the tour was very knowledgeable and answered all my questions patiently.
I then decided to take the next step and paid 1000 bucks to start the application process. I was surprised when they mentioned that the assessment for a 5 year old (entering first grade) is a 2 hour process which consists of a written test, oral interview with a teacher followed by another interview with the principal (Sounded more elaborate than a job interview!!!).
I was skeptical but decided to proceed. I was even more surprised when we were told that the parents are not allowed to be with the kid during this 2 hour process. I initially imagined that the 2 hour was a upper ceiling number that will probably not happen. But no, they actually took him in more a little more than 2 hours!!!!
We waited for about 5 days for the results. When they eventually contacted us, the results were pretty demoralizing. I was told the kid did not know alphabets, he could not read, count and answer any of their questions (I know for a fact that he can do all of those things) and hence they cannot take him in Grade 1.
When I asked if I can see the results of the assessment, I was told that those details are confidential and cannot be disclosed. This confused and frustrated me. What possible reason could there be to keep a child's assessment confidential from his own parents???
Also, the manner in which the teachers spoke was very corporate and businesslike. While this was ok by me, I am pretty sure a 5 year old would be intimidated by this approach. I decided then and there that this is not an environment I want my child to be in.
Advise to the school:
1. You might be focused on academic excellence. However, you need to bring up a child in a comfortable and assuring environment that puts the child at ease.
2. For god's sake, include the parent during assessment. You are not trying to assess a kid's current knowledge, not his ability to handle a pressure of an unknown environment.
3. Be transparent in your assessment results. How do you expect a parent to take your assessment results at word without showing us the evidence that led you to your conclusion.
@drwho
Cempaks international has sent their student volunteers twice to our humble lodge for 5-6 night stays. Their teacher Puan Nurra is fantastic and so are the teachers who came along. In our experience with running student programmers , I would say Cempaka students are very confident, mature, happy, fantastic kids who are not afraid to try something new eg farmwork, gardening, cooking ( which are all
Part of our programme) and never complain.
They are also extremely obedient and well mannered.
I highly recommend this school