Moving to Bulgaria with children.

Hi,
    we were listening to the radio just the other day; and Bulgaria sounds like the sort of place we and the children would like to spend our lives.
Both me and my partner have degrees, neither are working in the fields of our choice. though, we would love to. My eldest two children are of school age. But, do not speak any language other than English ( and limited French, Spanish and German)...we could afford a house (provided the prices don't increase). Anyone, that could offer any aid, suggestion, information about moving, what life's really like etc, I would be very grateful..Hxx

I am sure many families will disagree with me but i personally  would not move to Bulgaria with young children.  My reasons are as follows unless it is very different in Sofia and the larger cities the education system here can not compare to UK.  My brother , wife and young son moved here 8yrs ago when their child was almost 8yr . In the area they live in there are no local schools nearby so they travelled every day to the best school they could find.  My nephew obviously became fluent in Bulgarian along with his mum so there was no language problems. When he turned 15/16yrs he moved onto a Architectural college in Burgas with the intension of remaining there until 18yrs.  Due to outside influences he returned to the UK almost a year ago and his Bulgarian grades and certificates were not recognised by the U.K Education board.  Thankfully he  was  accepted  after taking a type of entrance exam and is able to continue with his education.  Also hospitals have very antiquarian ideas and equipment and on the very odd occasion I have needed to visit ,I still can not get my head around that whilst you are with the doctor anyone (joe public) just walk in the consultation room because Bulgarians don't seem to like waiting  yet alone knock first,and don't even ask about dentist.
My negative approach to this subject is bound to spark alot of comments claiming their experiences are completely different and I don't know what I,m talking about.
Let me reiterate, I live in a very rural part of Bulgaria and I absolutely love it, but the above are my families experience and I would advise anyone thinking of moving over here with children to maybe consider somewhere  closer to a major city ie Sofia as it seems more forward thinking and prepared to embrace modern ideas.

hi there

Bulgaria's educational system is not the best unless u register the kids in language schools and then they attend the AUBG. Work is hard to find and the salaries are low. The best formula is to work in the UK and spend the vacation in Bulgaria.

Upside of Bulgaria: village homes are inexpensive, the summer is sunny and hot. fruit and veg are delicious and seasonal. If you have any manufacturing business  in mind I think it will be successful because land and labour are cheap in Bulgaria. Also ethnic restaurants in big cities can be hit. For example an English breakfast joint in Sofia or Plovdiv would be a big hit.

Other than that, life is laid back in Bulgaria.

Best of luck

rami kremesti M.Sc.

founder BONKA (dot) BG

For what it,s worth I would second everything you have mention.

Thank you v much...Hxx

hi, we are in a village but is a good village, we have a propper school, doctor and a community center. Spend the extra and pick a good village and you will get it all.