Danang takes the lead - will Nha Trang follow???

I know I'm in a different country and I want to appreciate VN culture but I find it difficult to accept that so many men "do their business" on the side of the road, on the beach and wherever the urge strikes. I have even seen ladies relieve themselves on the beach and many have their kids do the same on the streets and on the beach. Some tourists are guilty of this as well. When walking on the street, there are some areas which smell awful because men have used the walls for so long. Seems like there are free public CR's in some locations which could easily be used. Sure wish the city can look at what Danang wants to do.

New law in Danang - tuoitrenews.vn/society/29254/fines-of-up-to-14-to-be-levied-for-urinating-at-da-nang-beaches

This is such a common thing in developing countries.
In a developed country where you will be arrested for 'public urination',indecent exposure'and 'damaging government property', it will obviously be more discreet.
That's what side alleys are for.

Free public amenities are non existent here.
And becoming even more uncommon in developed nations.Too expensive I guess. :/

The worst thing I think you might be ignoring,is the lack of dog poo all over the footpath.
For that kind of filth,you'll have to go to France.That Sh*t is everywhere.

As far as I'm concerned,if you gotta go,you gotta go.
And remember,the people who urinate(not defecate) in public are totally aware of their surroundings.They know people are looking.

You hit the nail by the head!  That, and beach littering and shoplifting overseas are 3 big shames of Vietnamese people. (never mind corruption). Even they are minority, but it's a very visible,  sizable minority. The government is very good at brainwashing,  educating its citizens, but just politically, not socially. You just need one fly to spoil your bowl of soup. Unfortunately,  so far, only one Danang lives up to international standards. When will Nha Trang become Danang? Nice dream.

timthoang wrote:

You hit the nail by the head!  That, and beach littering and shoplifting overseas are 3 big shames of Vietnamese people. (never mind corruption). Even they are minority, but it's a very visible,  sizable minority. The government is very good at brainwashing,  educating its citizens, but just politically, not socially. You just need one fly to spoil your bowl of soup. Unfortunately,  so far, only one Danang lives up to international standards. When will Nha Trang become Danang? Nice dream.

Who hit the nail?And what was the nail.
And which government is good at brainwwashing? Your government or the one here?
How can you comment on a thread when you are not living in a country of thread origin?
And finally,Danang does not exist. It is a city of two words- Đà Nẵng.

The topic is public urination.

Nha Trang has built modern well maintained toilets on the main beachfront recently.   There were always portable units previously.

Apart from that, the big shopping centres and restaurants are the other option.   I've been in cities and towns in developed countries where those facilities are scarce also.  It's just up to you to find them.

It's laziness in a lot at cases . People can't be bothered walking a few hundred metres , surely by now people will sense the need to "go" and plan for it.  But forward planning has never been a priority for a lot of the locals.

In the nice little country seaside town where I live they have a massive toilet, unfortunately people also like to swim in it, I realise people have to answer the call of nature, ( and I've noticed VNs certainly do that a lot??  must be the food? ), but how hard would it be to just kick some sand over their deed, I had to stop taking my dogs to the beach, at least the deposits left by the cattle is a little more obvious and can be easily avoided.

bluenz wrote:

In the nice little country seaside town where I live they have a massive toilet, unfortunately people also like to swim in it, I realise people have to answer the call of nature, ( and I've noticed VNs certainly do that a lot??  must be the food? ), but how hard would it be to just kick some sand over their deed, I had to stop taking my dogs to the beach, at least the deposits left by the cattle is a little more obvious and can be easily avoided.

Nice one....hide that turd with a sprinkling of sand.😄

Yogi would rather see the nugget and step around it. A dog will probably come along and eat it anyway.   Then again , it's always a good way to start your day at the beach by cleaning the crap from between your toes with a stick.   

Nothing like a bit of cultural indulgence.

Yogi007 wrote:
bluenz wrote:

Nice one....hide that turd with a sprinkling of sand.😄

Yogi would rather see the nugget and step around it. A dog will probably come along and eat it anyway.   Then again , it's always a good way to start your day at the beach by cleaning the crap from between your toes with a stick.   

Nothing like a bit of cultural indulgence.

Used to live on Maui where the beaches are relatively pristine, though many dog owners(primarily haoles - local term) never bothered cleaning up after their dogs letting them defecate and cover with sand.