Education jobs

My wife has master degree in mathematics and with experience more than 14 years , recetently ( 5years) she's the head of math desert. For a international school following Cambridge university /UK, SHE HAS ALSO AROUND 10 education certificates and accredit it courses from( Cambridge , Edexel, Oxford, lake university , etc. and many more.
My question : can she find a education job in Ecuador and what is the expected salary range as per her experience ( international schools , colleges , university etc..)

I will be very appreciate if you answer me ASAP

Thx on advance

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : No external links

Hello Samer604,

so as to gather some infos, you can read the following article from the Living in Ecuador guide > Work in Ecuador.

An interesting thread on the forum where you may have tips about jobs and that i recommend you is Tips for getting your first job in Ecuador.

For the salary range,i kindly leave it to the members of the Ecuador forum to enlighten you. :happy:

Wish you the very best, ;)
Bhavna

Samer604 wrote:

My wife has master degree in mathematics and with experience more than 14 years , recetently ( 5years) she's the head of math desert. For a international school following Cambridge university /UK, SHE HAS ALSO AROUND 10 education certificates and accredit it courses from( Cambridge , Edexel, Oxford, lake university , etc. and many more.
My question : can she find a education job in Ecuador and what is the expected salary range as per her experience ( international schools , colleges , university etc..)

I will be very appreciate if you answer me ASAP

Thx on advance

Cambridge is one of the world's great learning institutions and her degree should enable her to obtain a professional visa ipso facto.

If her teaching abilities and mastery of subject are equally impressive, she may have an excellent chance at education work.

Salaries vary widely and she should contact individual schools for such information.

cccmedia in Quito

Thx a lot dear

Private international schools pay the most- anywhere from $1,600-$2,000 a month. I have been a teacher here in Quito for 4 years (couple different private schools and a university).

Hi,
Good to know. And what are the qualifications?

Regards,
PS

The private international schools usually require at least 2 years teaching experience and at least a Bachelor's degree.

Hi
As per my wife situation , she have Master degree in pure mathematics and diploma chef account  with a total experience of 15 years including 3 years university lab instructor and head of math deprt. In a international school ( following Cambridge curriculum ) and now she's studying course ( certificate will received from Lake university - USA) to be a teacher trainer .

My self am not like her hhhhhhh , am a project manager ( graphic designer ) and also a head of the event department ( with more that 20 years in Dj'ing and wedding , event coordination and organising ).    Hope I can also do some BZ or work as per my experience . If I change my mind to start my own .

Hi Samer

I'm currently a professor at a university here in Guayaquil, Ecuador.  The average salary for a professor starting out is around $ 2000 pm.  This increases with experience and rank and goes up to around $ 3000 pm.  With her qualifications and experience your wife would probably prefer an academic post therefore any one of the universities would be a good option.  International schools and the like obviously do not operate on the same level as universities and I doubt that she will enjoy it much.

Regards

Shawn

Dear Amy,
I see you are in Quito. I've heard there are fewer opportunities in Cuenca (from what I've read on Dave's). I have a VA state license (Post Graduate license to teach K-12 ESL), effective through June 2018. I also have MAs in Applied Linguistics and TESOL (a terminal degree). I've taught m.s. and h.s. ESL (including content classes--8 years) but mostly university, college and community college (academic reading and writing at advanced level). I've heard Cuenca universities mostly recruit locals or those with Ph.D.s, not M.As. 
What about age restrictions?
Many thanks for any inside info.
PS

So, what are the opportunities for one with MA credentials at university level in Cuenca or should I focus on Quito? I'm not a research scholar. I've taught EFL in academic positions overseas at universities in China, Ukraine, and UAE as teacher trainer and English faculty (with M.A. Applied Linguistics and M.A. TESOL as indicated earlier). Any tips where to apply in Cuenca?  What can one expect in terms of salary, benefits, etc. (sans housing)? I will semi-retire, i.e., I'd still like to continue college teaching as it is edifying in many respects.   
Many thanks.
Regards,
PS

peripatetic_soul wrote:

So, what are the opportunities for one with MA credentials at university level...?

The prospects are poor or nil if you don't have a degree from a college or university on Ecuador's list of approved foreign schools of higher education.

Check the list and get back to us.

Brother Archer posted the link to that list in March on the thread titled Ecuador 9-V professional residency visa university list.  Type the final four words from the thread title into the searchbox atop this page and then click on the search icon to the right of the box.

cccmedia in Quito

Hi everybody,

Please note that i have removed some off topic posts from this discussion.

Thanks,

Priscilla  :cheers:

Definitely more job opportunities in Quito than Cuenca. Expect to make around $2,000/month. I have a doctorate in education and still have trouble finding a job that pays any more than that.

Hello,
I checked the university list at the link provided. Many thx, ccc. Interestingly, the one university appears on the list for the one M.A. but the other university (accredited and well-known for its Teacher Education and ESL Programs) is not. I wonder what the criteria are for selecting institutions. I wonder if there was an inadvertent omission, i.e., Indiana University--Bloomington is listed but Indiana University of PA (Pennsylvania) is not. I scrolled through the entire U.S. list, thinking that it was translated in different word order conforming to Spanish.

PS

As a semi-retiree not needing full-time work, you might be a candidate for private-tutor teaching even if you get a university gig.

Naturally, it typically takes a while to build up an ongoing business of this type.  And you are possibly competing with some of Cuenca's other Gringos for student-clients.

I usually refer to 'universities', since the word colegio is used here to refer to high school.  Secundaria is another word for high school.

cccmedia in Quito

If I remember correctly, on a thread discussing the "professional visa," it was still possible to get it even if your university was not on the list. It would just take longer. Maybe for the translation of your transcripts which would need to be done in EC. As far as ESL perhaps this is a no go

Another question for Samer's wife is how is her ability with Spanish language?

Hi, Sue,
I'm not interested in full-time. You are correct. I will be semi-retired. I won't engage in private tutoring for obvious reasons (no shows, no pay, no payment for prep time, etc.).  At least, if one of my MAs appears on the list, that would be sufficient, si, for the professional visa, or must I demonstrate that I am eligible for full-time employment status?
Why do you say ESL is a "no go"? I also have a Master's in Applied Linguistics. Again, I'm just interested in part-time teaching because I enjoy it.
Many thanks to all for your input.
On another note, and not intending to digress into a separate topic, I just read the current travel warnings on the U.S. Dept. of State website, and well, let's say I'm wavering as a single female sojourner for various reasons (potential eruption of volcanoes and other weather phenomena such as tsunamis and mudslides, increasing crime, increases in rentals--owing to exploitative ex-pats--and higher prices for staples--like anywhere else in the world, eh?).  Tis all a tradeoff. 

Regards
PS

peripatetic_soul wrote:

I'm not interested in full-time. You are correct. I will be semi-retired. I won't engage in private tutoring for obvious reasons (no shows, no pay, no payment for prep time, etc.)

Finding work at a school in Ecuador is not a guarantee of being paid on time...or being paid, period.  Anecdotal reports on the Internet show that teacher-employees do not have an advantage over private tutors in all cases.  If you think you will be paid for prep time, that could be another disappointment at some schools.

cccmedia in Quito

peripatetic_soul wrote:

if one of my MAs appears on the list, that would be sufficient, si, for the professional visa, or must I demonstrate that I am eligible for full-time employment status?

One is all it takes in this instance, meaning any degree from any approved university on the list.

The question about declaring eligibility for full-time work if you really want part-time work could be tricky.  I suspect this is a gray area and that non-attorneys on this site can't post definitively about it.

You can send an email to experienced Quito immigration attorney Sebastian Cordero for this kind of "inside baseball" question.  scordero(at)gcabogados.com

cccmedia in Quito

peripatetic_soul wrote:

I just read the current travel warnings on the U.S. Dept. of State website, and well, let's say I'm wavering as a single female sojourner...potential eruption of volcanoes and other weather phenomena such as tsunamis and mudslides, increasing crime, increases in rentals--owing to exploitative ex-pats--and higher prices for staples--like anywhere else in the world....

Dear Sojourner, ;)

Higher prices, especially in Cuenca, are IMO a valid reason to cross Ecuador off your list of possible future destinations.  Not that it is expensive to live in Ecuador.  Just saying it's a valid reason for someone on a limited dependable income.

The other reasons, I would say, are less compelling...

Volcanos:  Quito got a couple of inches of ash in 1999, but that's pretty much been all, since 1660.  That's right, 1660.  No sane Expat would live in a valley just off an active and dangerous volcano.

Tsunamis:  These can be devastating but affect only coastal areas. (Wikipedia)  Solution:  live in the highlands.

Mudslides:  We're not getting any reports of Expat casualties from these, although they can sometimes affect inter-city travel.  Reduce the problem by taking advantage of the low-cost air fares for domestic EC flights if this is a worry and you plan a trip inside the country.

Increasing crime:  The gun culture basically doesn't exist here.  Expats don't usually have any problems involving violent crime with weapons.  Add this:  avoid border zones (which is mainly what the State Department has been concerned with, historically)... big bad Guayaquil... the devastated Lago Agrio area... and South Quito.

cccmedia in Quito

P.S. for PS and others:  This post addresses reasons why a teacher might not consider Ecuador.  However, we can only wander off the reservation so far before the gang at the Home Office in the Mascarene Islands starts looking for the off-topic button.  So, kindly return to a strict interpretation of this thread's original topic about Education jobs in Ecuador, or post about tangential matters on a new or technically relevant thread. :)

Hi PS

I guess it doesn't read clearly. As far as ESL credentials maybe they absolutely have to be on the approved university list and EC is stricter about teachers than say,health care workers. You mentioned that one of the universities you graduated from, well known for ESL, is not on the list. It could be an oversight.

Maybe CCC could speak to this.....what kind of institutions ( private companies or government agencies) might be interested in hiring ESL educators for individuals involved in international business or trade..

The fact that you have recent experience training teachers in UAE is pretty impressive PhD or not. It would seem a very desirable background for a university involved in ESL.

Another suggestion might be to contact the Minister of Education.

The 9-V visa can be obtained whether you have the promise of a job or not. You don't have to work. But IMO anyone that can read Noam Chomsky would be able to parley their skills and credentials into some kind of gainful employment.

I will address the State Dept warnings on the "Safety in Ecuador" thread :offtopic:

Dear cccm,
Apologies and did not mean to digress from the Education theme or hijack this thread. Apologies also to Mr. Samer and his wife.

Your advice and insights are appreciated.

Regards,
PS

No need for appologies dear , all of are well educated people and we are just discussing . I think it's normal how are our questions , most of us have a family and want the best for them .

In the same time I have a question to all , what about starting a new business in education , is it easy ?

Thank you on advance
Samer

Business is risky..,.

Can you afford to wait to find students? 

Do you have the money to start a business?

Can you afford to lose your investment if it doesn't work out?

For sure nobody afford what you are saying and talking about ,  even if he have enough capital , but as you know in business you must have enough capital for the first year to cover your expenses .   What I am saying is a learning center and not only for English , let's say also for math  and sciences ,is it a good idea. ? , is their similar ideas in Ecuador ?
Finally any business you must provide for it a good advertising or he will fail.
I am just thinking in loud voice , cause during my long search I find toons of English learning centres but I didn't find a full educational center .  Maybe am wrong ( am sure their is but I didn't find it till know )

Samer604 wrote:

For sure nobody afford what you are saying and talking about ,  even if he have enough capital ... is their similar ideas in Ecuador ? ... I find toons of English learning centres....

Education center, huh? :cool:

They are here in the US,,,,for tutoring and helping kids who are not doing well in certain subjects,, say reading or math...,also they are centers for administering standardized exams for,,, law school admissions...college admissions....graduate school admissions,,,Maybe things are not so competitive in EC

Hi. Gotta interest to apply part time job as an private teacher there. Can You help me about those info ?
Thanks ya

Cambridge has a high reputation for their engineering curriculum, ranked as one of the top universities in the world:

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/st … ng-degrees

You can read more about them at these two links, the latter being the Cambridge University engineering department web page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Departmen … _Cambridgehttp://www.eng.cam.ac.uk/