Perhaps there are others with the same problem?

Hi, I am Trixie
I moved here from Germany a year ago.  Home language is English (I think in English) and am also fluent in German.  I love living here but I don't know many people, mainly because I am not getting Italian very fast.  I don't think it is because I am unable to learn, but my work is 80% English, some in German and a host of other languages where I get by with reading. 

I tried private Italian lessons, as my erratic travel schedules make attending regular classes impossible, but even the private teachers gave up as they could not cope without some semblance of regularity, and I could not get weekend lessons.

Makes my access to a social circle a bit difficult as I meet mainly Italian speaking people and it is difficult to get going when there is a language barrier!  Plus I travel a lot due to my work all over the world, so most meetings are sporadic.  I would like to fix this if possible!  I thought a combination of mail and weekend meetings can work wonders.  Perhaps there are others with the same problem?

I am in Italy to stay.  I love living here and feel totally unencumbered, which is a great relief after Germany...
As this is now the sixth country I am living in (South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Switzerland and Germany are the other five), I did not expect to find myself feeling isolated.  Most of the friends I made in other countries I have regular contact with, but I do not want my whole social life to be by email!  It would be nice to meet with people and see places and discover new friends.  I am pretty outgoing, but also a bit of a workaholic - due to passion, not any particular neurosis.

I have a lot of interests, so I don't just talk about work.  Only thing is, it would be so nice to have a circle where I am welcome and where I can connect.

So, if there is anyone in the Padua area...  I would love to hear from you!

Hello Trixie,

I am sorry to hear about your loneliness. It is not pleasant being in a foreign country and not speaking the language.
I am learning Italian at the moment with Dante Aleghieri in Johannesburg, South Africa as my husband and I are moving from South Africa to Italy in January. If you would like, contact them as they have fantastic teachers. My teacher is Maria who speaks very little English so we are picking up the language quite quickly. However, they might be open to a correspondence course. Look them up and mail them.They might be able to help you.
Kind regards, Val.

Hello Trixie,

Welcome to Expat.com  :)

I created a new thread from your post and a reaction you had on the Italy forum.

Hoping that you will get more interactions with members of this forum.

All the very best, ;)
Bhavna